how will space legs handle deaths

Why do you think it will be a gore-fest first person shooter? While I want space legs, I don't want just a First Person Shooter slapped on to the game. Anyway you shouldn't worry as the expansion will be optional. Don't want it, don't buy it and continue playing as you are.

No need to throw in the towel if you are happy with the game as it is.

Okay here I am going to lay out my concern, then I'd better close my browser and get some work done.

The leaks mentioned FPS combat (Starship Trooper style?)

Not getting the expansion means not getting all the other stuff that we are waiting so long for.

So, my concern is that I will want to get the expansion, but that leaving your ship will include the risk of pointless and stupid FPS combat in the stations or what-not and that this will be random and mandatory. So then the game becomes an FPS game alongside a spaceship game whether you want it or not. If this scenario does unfold I will be done with Elite at that point.

I hope I am wrong, but I want Frontier to hear my concern in case I am not. If space legs has an optional opt-in combat system that can be ignored then fine. Because space legs WOULD be totally awesome! Walking around the ship and the bases and visiting vendors, and exploring the cities, etc. That would add a lot to the game. Just don't make me carry a space pistol or whatever.

If they must add that kind of content to the game I dearly hope it is opt-in like the AX combat. Because I want no part of it. I want Frontier to hear my point of view even though I may be in the minority here.
Given that combat against standard NPCs in spaceships is basically opt-in (so long as you're not absolutely terrible at winning interdictions), and SRV combat is likewise entirely optional, I can't see any other form of combat being required either.

Okay here I am going to lay out my concern, then I'd better close my browser and get some work done.

Not getting the expansion means not getting all the other stuff that we are waiting so long for.

So, my concern is that I will want to get the expansion, but that leaving your ship will include the risk of pointless and stupid FPS combat in the stations or what-not and that this will be random and mandatory. So then the game becomes an FPS game alongside a spaceship game whether you want it or not. If this scenario does unfold I will be done with Elite at that point.

I hope I am wrong, but I want Frontier to hear my concern in case I am not. If space legs has an optional opt-in combat system that can be ignored then fine. Because space legs WOULD be totally awesome! Walking around the ship and the bases and visiting vendors, and exploring the cities, etc. That would add a lot to the game. Just don't make me carry a space pistol or whatever.

to be fair the game is heavily combat orientated yet i have avoided most of it for 4 years and even to this day it remains optional.

but of course a good old dose of skeptical scare mongering and doubt makes for a better DD thread.

Given that combat against standard NPCs in spaceships is basically opt-in (so long as you're not absolutely terrible at winning interdictions), and SRV combat is likewise entirely optional, I can't see any other form of combat being required either.

It is hard to avoid spaceship combat, but I am totally fine with spaceship combat. NPC's that interdict my glorious Imperial Cutter hoping for easy pickings always regret their hasty decision ;-) I knew that that was part of the game when I bought it and its a fun part of the game. FPS crosses a line for me though and I just don't want to go there.

i think we're all missing the bigger question here.

How much will it cost to re-fill the coffee machine (Krait) in re-stock?
1080cr, but if you have a fighter hangar you need to sell the coffeemachine, rebuy it and then restock. Obviously, the coffeemachine comes in 4-8-16-32 tonne variants, and makes one extra simultaneously cup per size up

Remember this is early days in the development so I doubt that the leaker has all the information. The leaked other parts were much closer to release. I wouldn't worry too much.

What other stuff?

There will always be risks, just like there are risks flying your ship. But I would have thought that in Hi-Sec areas you would be pretty safe.

I can't see it being optional or ignorable like it isn't in the main game. There maybe ways to avoid it, like there is in the main game. I want all these things, but I am not against combat either. We shouldn't be walking around just because we can. There should be meaning to it.

So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.
In SC your ship is locked so no one can access unless you let them in. When the ship is stolen and you're in the middle of nowhere you have 2 options:
1. remove the helmet and die and respawn in the starport and you pay the insurance to have the ship back.
2. you can ask to other players for transportation. For free, if you have friends, or you generate a mission and a player can come and pick you up and you will pay the transport. At the starport you file a claim with the insurance to have the ship back. Here I can see a new generation of Fuel Rats in ED. Instead of bringing fuel they come to rescue the person and provide transportation.

I can immagine a similar scenaio in ED too but since in ED the bubble is a real big place there are less chances to meet someone. In SC there are only few locations so it's crowded everywhere..

Last edited:
how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.

When someone shoots your CMDR in the head, the little alien that lives inside it will automatically eject and be propelled, via mico-hyperspace jump, to the nearest starport, duh. Your next body comes with whatever ship choice you take, free of charge.

432_4.jpg

So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.
Re-sleve by using the cortical stack. (Altered carbon)

When someone shoots your CMDR in the head, the little alien that lives inside it will automatically eject and be propelled, via mico-hyperspace jump, to the nearest starport, duh. Your next body comes with whatever ship choice you take, free of charge.

432_4.jpg
Thats good thanks for the laugh

If first person shooting is a large part of the 2020 update that will be the end of the road for me. The last thing I want is to turn Elite into another stupid gore-fest of an FPS game. There are many others to choose from if that is what I wanted. I am actually extremely worried that this is going to be a large part of the focus of the 2020 update and that this will end my time with Elite Dangerous because I don't like ultra-violent games.
I don't think that's going to happen.
FD pride themselves in being original.

I expect spacelegs to follow the same design philosophy Elite currently has, which would turn it into a first person adventure game with shooter elements and not a single minded FPS.

For evacuation after mortal injury, I'd expect the Remlok suit will have some capacity for it and you can be revived in your ship's sickbay or if that is missing at the station your escape pod will bring you. Cost for recovery and medical treatment will be on you. Along with maybe a time cost.

What other stuff?

Base building, new ships, whatever else they include in the paid update. We aren't waiting until 2020 for just one feature come on.

There will always be risks, just like there are risks flying your ship. But I would have thought that in Hi-Sec areas you would be pretty safe.

I can't see it being optional or ignorable like it isn't in the main game. There maybe ways to avoid it, like there is in the main game. I want all these things, but I am not against combat either. We shouldn't be walking around just because we can. There should be meaning to it.

The problem is that while spaceship combat is something I am comfortable with FPS combat is something that crosses the line for me. I don't ask anyone to agree with me, but I do worry about this and I want Frontier to know that you sold me one kind of game and now if the rumours are true you are taking the game to a place that some CMDR's may not be comfortable.

Frontier: If the rumours are true and you are going to add FPS combat to the game make it opt-in and please tread carefully. Not everyone wants to go there.

Re-sleeve by using the cortical stack. (Altered carbon)
I’m surprised that hasn’t been robbed for in-game lore; instantaneous transport upon ship destruction? Actually, you’ve just woken up in a new sleeve with your latest backup downloaded into the stack, there was quantum entangled wibbly-wobbly detection of terminal sleeve trauma.

Holo-me across the Galaxy? Nope, you’ve just needlecast your consciousness into a local stack on your pal’s ship.

Top Bottom