how will space legs handle deaths

Currently, when a ship has 0% hull, it blows up instantly.
But what if the ship is just Hulled: - the hull integrity can no longer contain the ships air pressure.

Until repaired this ship has neither

• No life support and
  • no power
If left alone the defending player can whip out their tool-kit, patch up their hull and get main-power back online, and limp back to the nearest star-port.

The Glory of instancing
Don't forget the very idea that each ship and their "internal layout", must exist in the same "instance" as the other players.
Think of it as if it's a networked game and your computer is "Hosting" a Gaming-Map (of your internal ship layout) that can be joined and played on by other players.
This gives two cases in the result of the current "death" mechanics.

Option 1) The Player and their Ship is removed from the Instance.
So current instancing dictates, that pvp pirates could board your ship, you could "quit" the game, (or your connection drops out).
effectively you stop hosting the instance and your ship (the game level ) magically "disappears" from underneath their feet.
This would now force the attacking players to respawn back in their cockpits.
Now make sense if we telepresence into boarding-robots, but not if physical players are on another players ship.

Option 2) The Player's ship PERSISTS in the instance.
So imagine, instead, that your ship and you the player can exist in different instances. It's peer to peer, you are "sharing" the instances between you.
Meaning if you "stop hosting", the shared instance (your ship) continues to exist in that instance until the other players leave the instance your ship is being the host for.

This means Gankers can Hull a ship and then mass-board the powerless commander's vessel.
And if you the player decided to rage-quit or combat log, your ship would remain in the other player's instance so they can have their way with your unprotected ship.

Now, this on the outset seems anti-gaming.
But it actually works in favour of some much needed "fixes" to the game.

Combat loggers effectively get to the escape pod and their ship and goods are forfeit and property of the other players.
Combat logging becomes self-harming and rewards the attackers.

(But what about gankers)
Conversely, Gankers now have no power over the player.
They can damage the ship until it stops moving, but they can't destroy the ship, nor kill the player or the destroy cargo.
They have to come onboard to finish the job. But this is a very risky proposition and may backfire
I-War: Defiance style, (when the protagonist's rebel ship got damaged and then the authorities docked with them to capture the pirate scum, so the protagonists, detach their command-module after they got boarded, and then boarded the authorities own vessel since they were not there defending it. (Boarding the borders).
Similarly poping on your EVA suit and leaving the ship via an air-lock, pretending that you died or you had combat logged (an episode of serenity).

Boarding - The Second chance of combat.
For pirating players this is ideal, they can attack and hull the other vessel and then extract the cargo by limpets or boarding.
Do the pirates Kill or spare the crew? oh the role-playering-choices.
The beauty here is - after a pirate attack, the defending player can just patch up their ship and limp back to the nearest star-port after a pvp-pirate attack.
But for gankers who wish to humiliate the players with their mighty ships.
Don't get to ruin the players night, as the defending players can just patch up their ship and limp back to the nearest star-port.

To finish the job, gankers would have to get onboard and kill the player.
Killing another player "outright" might become really laborious and time-consuming, and it's not easy either.

Consider what if the defending player kills the boarding players?
What happens then? will they respawn back at base, without their ships? A police holding cell?
Like combat logging, their pilot free vessels would be floating undefended in an instance somewhere to be salvaged.
Will they respawn back on their ships and in Solo with a cool down period before they are allowed in open.

Would a group of gankers toy with a player and attack their ship, but then the risk all trying to board and kill off said player. There is a risk that the very decision to do so, might ruin "their" night.
because if they came on board, the player could wind up killing "them" by being a pro-gamer or better equipped to repel the borders.
Or what if the defending player hits the self destruct button taking out ALL the attacking players onboard.
A whole wing of Gankers just got their night ruined by a single player they thought they could toy with.
I really like your ideals but the thought of an Invincible ship bothers me. What about an escape pod that is "Too small" to target with its "Guardian" jamming signal? Something three people could fit in for that boarding kill.... may even allow for an Iron Man update in the future.

Interesting question about what happened when you 'die' on your legs - where is the respawn?

1) Last station (like happens when your ship dies). Explainable by lore with a bit of handwavium. Painful if you're doing ... basically anything. Star Citizen does this and it's not liked. Imagine you're clearing the newly arrived Thargoids out of one of their bases on foot and you die and have to travel back from a Starport - that would be unloved. Allows ship stealing, as the CMDR gets sent away from their ship.
2) Ship (medibay, whatever). You respawn closer to what you were doing, but still would be potentially a lot of backtracking. Still explicable via handwavium, just about. Makes stealing ships pretty hard - you sneak on board, kill the CMDR, who then respawns back on-board*.
3) Where you die / area where you die. Convenient - no backtracking. Not really explicable in the universe - unless everyone is just firing paintballs. Also makes ship stealing difficult.

I can see lots of forum venting whichever they choose. If the leg content is FPS-heavy them (3) makes sense, if it's more passive / exploration & trading type content then probably (2) 🤷‍♀️

And we haven't even got onto ammo resupply - synthesis makes sense for ship / srv - not so much for legs - anyone for Space Leg Lasers?

* Yeah, I've sure you could come up with complications for pirating - but there's enough 'special rules' in the game already, more would be ... unfortunate.

If first person shooting is a large part of the 2020 update that will be the end of the road for me. The last thing I want is to turn Elite into another stupid gore-fest of an FPS game. There are many others to choose from if that is what I wanted. I am actually extremely worried that this is going to be a large part of the focus of the 2020 update and that this will end my time with Elite Dangerous because I don't like ultra-violent games.
I heard that ED will be merged with DOOM.

;)

So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.
Based on how SLFs and SRVs currently work, my guess would be that space-legs will either involve androids/telepresence or "dying" will, in fact, just mean that your space-suit "puts you into stasis" and then you're recovered to your ship for medical treatment... somehow.

DeletedUser191218

D
So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.
Let's just get to space legs and get to that stuff later. At this stage, some of us might actually be dead before it's introduced.

When I died in my SRV I woke up in a med bay, could not find a way out then everything went black and then it slowly came back to light and I was in my ship.

I hope I am wrong, but I want Frontier to hear my concern in case I am not. If space legs has an optional opt-in combat system that can be ignored then fine. Because space legs WOULD be totally awesome! Walking around the ship and the bases and visiting vendors, and exploring the cities, etc. That would add a lot to the game. Just don't make me carry a space pistol or whatever.
One would hope they have a little bit of everything to please as many as possible.

Anyhow, there should be counters to monitor stats on CMDR's deaths and walk distance. Then, we can all see interests on space legs.

It is hard to avoid spaceship combat, but I am totally fine with spaceship combat. NPC's that interdict my glorious Imperial Cutter hoping for easy pickings always regret their hasty decision ;-) I knew that that was part of the game when I bought it and its a fun part of the game. FPS crosses a line for me though and I just don't want to go there.
This entire logic just seems very biased with you wanting elite to remain as it is. You do realize that spaceship combat is essentially fps combat right. You are in a cockpit in the first person giving violence to other ships with guns, kicking axx and leaving them to die horribly in the void. How can one be ok with ship combat but dislike it when the character is holding a virtual gun, its the same game play, you shoot things.

Last edited:
How can one be ok with ship combat but dislike it when the character is holding a virtual gun, its the same game play, you shoot things.
Because different people have different likes and abilities. If i wanted to play a shooter, i would be playing one and if elite develops FPS elements you can bet that there will be other games that will do it better and the people that like shooters will probably be playing those games instead of elite, should elite develop FPS elements.

Because different people have different likes and abilities. If i wanted to play a shooter, i would be playing one and if elite develops FPS elements you can bet that there will be other games that will do it better and the people that like shooters will probably be playing those games instead of elite, should elite develop FPS elements.
Well I'm one of the people who can adapt and enjoy a game with any and all types of game play mechanics, I don't discriminate on features because they can be done better else where, especially unreleased features we have yet to see. Whining because a game will have something you may not like sounds a lot like self entitlement, Fdev isn't a charity, they are a business and they will do the best they can to thrive. To realize a space game with epic scope (which is their vision), it only makes sense to have a game where anything and everything can be done.

Last edited:
Whining because a game will have something you may not like sounds a lot like self entitlement, Fdev isn't a charity, they are a business and they will do the best they can to thrive.
I find it highly amusing that so many on this forum characterize opinions they dont want to hear as whining. The personal identification with the game and FD as a business entity is also a hoot. Good job :)

Edit: On second thought i completly agree with you. Everyone should like what you like and pley the game the way you play it.

Last edited:
First thing I'm buying for my base: revirb cascade turrets.

Without them bases would be pretty useless, anyone could turn up and nuke it. and I'd set them to fire at will.

Also packhound turrets if they exist.

I find it highly amusing that so many on this forum characterize opinions they dont want to hear as whining. The personal identification with the game and FD as a business entity is also a hoot. Good job :)

Edit: On second thought i completly agree with you. Everyone should like what you like and pley the game the way you play it.
I hope you realize that your contradicting yourself. The OP I quoted wants elite to remain the same way as it's always been so he can continue to play the game his way and only his way or else he quits. Fdev wants to appeal to more players, to give them more choice to play the game in different ways. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being able to do what you want in a openworld space game but I don't see a reason to whine and complain about new content that will most likely be optional.

Edit: I find it amusing that you cherry pick my quotes to make an agument.

Top Bottom