HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Hi all, first post on the forum.

So I want to check with you all if its just wishful thinking of if I am onto something here.

Yesterday evening I played Elite in the Vive and had the usual issues you are all reporting, flickering, text which is difficult, etc. (still love the game in the Vive though, but there is room for improvement). Later that evening after doing something else I wanted to return to Elite, but noticed that a SteamVR Beta update had been released which I installed. After starting Elite, I immideately thought that the flickering is reduced. Its still present, but a lot less than before, especially outside of space stations. Text readability didn't imrpove though.

Anyone else noticed this or am I going crazy? I will check again later tonight, maybe my eyes were just too tired :D

The latest beta update has included some sort of fix that adjusts the brightness levels (I believe) of some overbright pixels - sort of like a tune-up for the panels. Read about it yesterday on Redit but can't find it now.

Going to SS2x didn't seem to improve the text as much as going to 1.5 and it kills framerate regardless of the quality settings in certain parts of the game such as bulleting board, letter box on entry (ok once in the station) or Outfitting

The fact that higher SS "kills framerate" in areas such as the bulletin board and outfitting screens seems to point to something fundamentally wrong in the Cobra engine.

Why should viewing non-moving, basically text screens, kill the framerate?

Why is the graphics engine still working so hard when all that is being displayed is the outfitting screen, for example.

You can see the work on the GPU ramp up as soon as ED loads and you are just sitting at the menu screens.

So what is the best advice for setting with the vive ATM then to make the text readable, the graphics pretty and the game playable? Force SSx2 on the settings, change the setting to 'VR high' (is there a preset for this somewhere?) rather than ultra on everything and change the UI to green?

Move your lenses back from your face two ticks. It won't help with most things, but those of us glasses users who have done so feel it helps make the text much more legible, at least.

Cheers for that, I don't use twitter but at least we have an update in the ether !

Disappointing that there has been no update made here though :(

Last edited:
Good to hear that it is being worked on :). I can't wait to see how it can look once they fix the Vive issue. Thanks for sharing

Me too, I'm just very afraid of getting disapointed. It's hard to lower expectations at this point...

We generally post about updates and such here on the forums, especially when we have solid news to share on the progress of something.

But yes, a fix is being worked on - but it takes time to get right and stable. :)

Thanks for the update Brett. Much appreciated

Also looking forward to an update, is there any chance I'll be able to benefit from SLI soon?

On my monitor I can run ultra @ 1440p and 144fps (even on planets), in VR I get 45fps in space with SLI enabled.

And why do the stars and background look like it's projected onto a wall?

I recently played House of the dying sun and I was blown away in VR, I hope I get the same feeling with ED one day.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, as an owner of both a Rift and a Vive I just thought I'd comment briefly on the differences between the two since I've seen some people asking for comparisons.

Text Resolution - I find the text to be legible on both the Vive and the Rift as long as your looking directly at the text. The further the text is from your center of view the worse the legibility becomes. I find the game perfectly playable on both headsets with regards to text resolution.

Aliasing - Both headsets have issues with aliasing that produce a 'shimmer effect', but the experience in the Vive in this regard is notably worse. Objectively the two probably aren't that much different, but the Vive issue crosses a threashold and becomes game breaking for me. Basically when I come up to a station with the Vive I'm always struck with how bad it looks, and it breaks my imersion in the game. The Rift on the other had is just a bit better enough to be on the other side of the threashold, and I can generally ignore the issue and enjoy my gameplay.

Scaling - I admit I have no idea what people are talking about here (for either headset). I'd rather not know since I'm not bothered by whatever the issue is, and there is no upside to figuring out something that might bug me.

God Rays - These are a total non-issue for me. I know what they are, and maybe if I look I can see them but they don't but me the slighest on either headset.

Bottom line is that for me the Rift is a notably better experience because it appears to have somewhat better anti-aliasing. In all other respects I find the experience to be equivilant. YMMV

P.S. One last thing I'll mention is that Elite is the killer app for me with regards to VR. I've tried a lot of different VR games and experiences, many of which are very cool. But Elite is the only serious profersional game with real depth of gameplay that supports VR well that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, as an owner of both a Rift and a Vive I just thought I'd comment briefly on the differences between the two since I've seen some people asking for comparisons.

Text Resolution - I find the text to be legible on both the Vive and the Rift as long as your looking directly at the text. The further the text is from your center of view the worse the legibility becomes. I find the game perfectly playable on both headsets with regards to text resolution.

Aliasing - Both headsets have issues with aliasing that produce a 'shimmer effect', but the experience in the Vive in this regard is notably worse. Objectively the two probably aren't that much different, but the Vive issue crosses a threashold and becomes game breaking for me. Basically when I come up to a station with the Vive I'm always struck with how bad it looks, and it breaks my imersion in the game. The Rift on the other had is just a bit better enough to be on the other side of the threashold, and I can generally ignore the issue and enjoy my gameplay.

Scaling - I admit I have no idea what people are talking about here (for either headset). I'd rather not know since I'm not bothered by whatever the issue is, and there is no upside to figuring out something that might bug me.

God Rays - These are a total non-issue for me. I know what they are, and maybe if I look I can see them but they don't but me the slighest on either headset.

Bottom line is that for me the Rift is a notably better experience because it appears to have somewhat better anti-aliasing. In all other respects I find the experience to be equivilant. YMMV

P.S. One last thing I'll mention is that Elite is the killer app for me with regards to VR. I've tried a lot of different VR games and experiences, many of which are very cool. But Elite is the only serious profersional game with real depth of gameplay that supports VR well that I'm aware of.

Get out o' here ya varmint! We don't want non o' ya senseebal talkin' round these parts! ;)

Thanks a lot for this report.
Glad to hear it's not day and night between rift and vive. I'll get my vive soon and the choice between the two HMD was not easy.

About the scale, when you look at your virtual body, doesn't it look smaller in the Vive? Can you doble check?

About the scale, when you look at your virtual body, doesn't it look smaller in the Vive? Can you doble check?
I'm not Gabrial, but when I look at my virtual body, it looks about the same size as my body. Hands and feet are in the right place, arms and legs are well proportioned (if you ignore the fact that I've got bicyclist's legs in real life), and the environment in a Cobra Mk 3 is roomy.

I have witnessed the scale being off in Beta 4 when I ran Steam VR before running Elite, and I found the experience unnerving.

Top Bottom