Hyperspace Jump within system?

Then don't do it. I don't enjoy it either, but some seem to like it. Let them have their long distance travel, I can do everything there is much closer to the jump star.

you're missing the point. parts of the game are locked out for me not due to difficulty or lacl of skill, but simply because they're a waste of time.

"takes a long time to do" isnt the same as difficult. its just a waste of time. gameplay shouldn't be locked behind a player's willingness to do NOTHING for long periods of time.

thing is if travel was faster you can still slow down and enjoy the vastness while allowing those who would rather play DO something.

people saying they don't want stuff is ok - otherwise it might look like no-one has objections to your suggestion and fdev might implement it. At which it's a bit late for people to object.
At least give a justification, like how people have to justify a suggestion by stating an existing problem or dissatisfaction to the current situation
If not I would have just been like asking for FDev to do stuff for me only. Sounds arrogant innit?

Lestat

Banned
You should read my last post on the other Topic talking about this. Please try to counter it.

I still find my point still holds true. If you find a mission that Too Far Then why not Discard. Just like Any hard Combat Mission that you find you are not skilled or your ship is not fit to do. Or finding out doing a trade run of 6000 tons of cargo might take too long to do. Or looking at a location in the Explored system and choosing not to go to that location because the distance is too far. Or that Passenger mission you where so hipped going to for 50,000 LY or more. You complain about the Hyperspace jump screen. (People forget they can mix exploration into it) Each in them self has the same issue. But they also have the same solution. If you don't feel like you can do it. Then why do it?

I can look at each one of these and see a reason for doing them or not. But it comes down to users Choice and an easy solution to a problem. There will be a few rare cases Where distance is forced on you just like some Combat missions for Thargoid or Guardian sites, Engineering is forced on you. But Even then you have a choice not doing them.

The other question why do a few players ignore key features of the game instead of reading the mission or research them by using galaxy map. They follow the Click and accept all mission then complain about the distance later. Or the very few mission that doesn't give you any real detail. The few players will whine when they find out it too far and they avoid the Fact they do have a solution. DISCARD.

If everything had an easy Button like the instant travel I will not be playing Elite Dangerous because in my Eyes it would be called Elite easy.

So the question Becomes when does lack of common sense end and common Sense begin?

You should read my last post on the other Topic talking about this. Please try to counter it.

I still find my point still holds true. If you find a mission that Too Far Then why not Discard. Just like Any hard Combat Mission that you find you are not skilled or your ship is not fit to do. Or finding out doing a trade run of 6000 tons of cargo might take too long to do. Or looking at a location in the Explored system and choosing not to go to that location because the distance is too far. Or that Passenger mission you where so hipped going to for 50,000 LY or more. You complain about the Hyperspace jump screen. (People forget they can mix exploration into it) Each in them self has the same issue. But they also have the same solution. If you don't feel like you can do it. Then why do it?

I can look at each one of these and see a reason for doing them or not. But it comes down to users Choice and an easy solution to a problem. There will be a few rare cases Where distance is forced on you just like some Combat missions for Thargoid or Guardian sites, Engineering is forced on you. But Even then you have a choice not doing them.

The other question why do a few players ignore key features of the game instead of reading the mission or research them by using galaxy map. They follow the Click and accept all mission then complain about the distance later. Or the very few mission that doesn't give you any real detail. The few players will whine when they find out it too far and they avoid the Fact they do have a solution. DISCARD.

If everything had an easy Button like the instant travel I will not be playing Elite Dangerous because in my Eyes it would be called Elite easy.

So the question Becomes when does lack of common sense end and common Sense begin?

because descarding a mission due to nothing other than how much time you're willing to spend not playing the game points to bad game design.

discard a mission because its above your level? yes. discard because the pay is too low? also yes. discard because you're not willing to let the game idle for 40 minutes while you watch The Office? no! bad game!

a game shouldn't reward you for not playing.

Knowing Fdev they’ll somehow manage to make supercruise travel times realistic.

Forget faster than light speeds, we’ll be at the moon in a week. It’ll be great.

Then don't do it. I don't enjoy it either, but some seem to like it. Let them have their long distance travel, I can do everything there is much closer to the jump star.
gameplay shouldn't be locked behind a player's willingness to do NOTHING for long periods of time.

This is brought into particular focus by narrative locations and community events. For example:

• To pursue some leads during the Thargoid mystery (Survery Vessel Pandora's Song in HIP 17125 - over 40,000 Ls away from the primary star).
  • To visit a Guardian Ruins site in HD 63154 (140,000 Ls from the primary star) for data and materials.
Fed station - 18 Ls from main star
Imp station - 580 Ls from main star
Alliance station - 161,412 Ls from main star

Take a guess whose initiative is gonna fail...

It's also true for inscrutable mission redirects etc, but the above really drive home the 'content behind a tedium firewall' effect.

you're missing the point. parts of the game are locked out for me not due to difficulty or lacl of skill, but simply because they're a waste of time.
What parts of the game? Going to a planet or station that do the same stuff at a station that's closer? Sorry, not seeing the issue.

"takes a long time to do" isnt the same as difficult. its just a waste of time. gameplay shouldn't be locked behind a player's willingness to do NOTHING for long periods of time.
Never said "takes a long time" was difficult. Difficulty has nothing to do with it.

thing is if travel was faster you can still slow down and enjoy the vastness while allowing those who would rather play DO something.
So what. Travel is the way it is, it may change in the future, I don't care, I like it as it is. You can do everything there is to do at places that are closer.

Lestat

Banned
are poeple REALLY arguing that if the game gave them access to more stuff to do and not make them wait before they can play they'd enjoy the game LESS?
Remember we have 400,000,000,000 systems caters to both our play style. We also have 65,000 stations suited for both our likes. But one side wants a short cut.

What parts of the game? Going to a planet or station that do the same stuff at a station that's closer? Sorry, not seeing the issue.

Never said "takes a long time" was difficult. Difficulty has nothing to do with it.

So what. Travel is the way it is, it may change in the future, I don't care, I like it as it is. You can do everything there is to do at places that are closer.

well Max by your logic why would anyone leave the starting system? Its all the same everywhere!

oh....yeah, because Thedvick dock is like 90k LS from the main star and it gets tedious REAL fast.

This is brought into particular focus by narrative locations and community events. For example:
40,000ls is not that far. What is it? Five minutes. You can be looking stuff up in the codex during that time or galnet. The choice is yours.

It's also true for inscrutable mission redirects etc, but the above really drive home the 'content behind a tedium firewall' effect.
Missions redirects are optional, and no, there is no gameplay behind a tedium wall. There is optional gameplay that can be done closer to jump in location behind a supercruise wall which some like and some don't.

There are always things in game that you won't like but others will. Such is life.

Remember we have 400,000,000,000 systems caters to both our play style. We also have 65,000 stations suited for both our likes. But one side wants a short cut.

my shortcut wouldn't affect your game play. You can still slow travel.

The real issue here is you want EVERYONE to have to suffer rather than just playing your own game. You're like those people that block motorcycles that are splitting lanes in traffic for no other reason than to make them have to sit in traffic with everyone else.

Last edited:
well Max by your logic why would anyone leave the starting system? Its all the same everywhere!
I like to explore. But sure, there is no major reason. The choice is yours. The game is about choices, you choose to do stuff that you enjoy or don't. That is one of the many things I like about the game. I don't want a game of convenience, I want a game that makes me think of whether I want to go there or not, is it worth my time etc.

Remove anything like that it diminishes the game for me. It dumbs it down where thought and consideration is not needed. Exactly the reason why I hated instant ship transfer. It dumbs it down, removes all thought and consideration in what you are doing. It makes decision making none existent.

oh....yeah, because Thedvick dock is like 90k LS from the main star and it gets tedious REAL fast.
I went there a few times, didn't not like it, went exploring after.

First of all, we do not ask for instant travel and try to limit our suggestion as reasonable as possible,
Second, let say our suggestion does not break the balance of the game, why do you care about whether people can access "your side" of the gameplay?

First of all, we do not ask for instant travel and try to limit our suggestion as reasonable as possible,
Second, let say our suggestion does not break the balance of the game, why do you care about whether people can access "your side" of the gameplay?

aren't we all on the same side? we want a good game for as many players as possible.

Im not advocating for instant travel....but do you think instant travel would ruin the game?

with 400 billion systems it would STILL take years to explore it all.

how about we shorten SC times but give us something to do. make us actually have to FLY there. Give us something engaging rather than point at a dot on the screen and wait. Its not the long travel time per se that we're complaining about its that there's NOTHING TO DO during that travel. there's no point to it.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
40,000ls is not that far. What is it? Five minutes. You can be looking stuff up in the codex during that time or galnet. The choice is yours.

Missions redirects are optional, and no, there is no gameplay behind a tedium wall. There is optional gameplay that can be done closer to jump in location behind a supercruise wall which some like and some don't.

There are always things in game that you won't like but others will. Such is life.
Have you ever notice when you point out these facts. They avoid it like a plague.
my shortcut wouldn't affect your game play. You can still slow travel.

The real issue here is you want EVERYONE to have to suffer rather than just playing your own game.
Then stop doing stuff that makes you suffer and start making sound choices.

No what I am pointing out is players like your self needs to start using common sense gameplay.
My post 163 points a lot of different problems someone could have with different types of mission or Exploration. But if players use common sense. They could avoid any issue from Distance, Hard Combat, Large Trade Hauls, Exploration, and Passenger missions and each has a solution and it easy as Discard a mission or jump to another system depending on what you are doing.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me. But I will answer in case it is.

Im not advocating for instant travel....but do you think instant travel would ruin the game?
For me, yes.

with 400 billion systems it would STILL take years to explore it all.
Irrelevant

how about we shorten SC times but give us something to do. make us actually have to FLY there. Give us something engaging rather than point at a dot on the screen and wait. Its not the long travel time per se that we're complaining about its that there's NOTHING TO DO during that travel. there's no point to it.
There are things to do. Galnet, codex, galaxy map, system information, checking your materials storage, what synthesis/engineering materials you need . Sure more things to do would be nice too.

And I wouldn't be totally against SC being sped up a bit as long as it doesn't remove decision making.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is directed at me. But I will answer in case it is.

For me, yes.

Irrelevant

There are things to do. Galnet, codex, galaxy map, system information, checking your materials storage, what synthesis/engineering materials you need . Sure more things to do would be nice too.

And I wouldn't be totally against SC being sped up a bit as long as it doesn't remove decision making.

Here we agree. If SC was an active process where you could balance speed vs difficulty/danger I'd be all for it. It's the doing nothing for long periods of time for no reason I'm against.

Yeah, about 5 mins of dead time, but it's the starter water torture end of the scale (with Hutton being the water boarding ;))

I notice you're completely ignoring the 140,000 Ls and 161,412 Ls examples...

Missions redirects are optional, and no, there is no gameplay behind a tedium wall.

I'm not talking about optional redirects, I'm talking about missions that don't reveal the destination until the mission is underway.

And I've literally just given you some examples of bespoke game events and locations which are placed long distances away.

True, but as long as this game holds promise in other areas I'll continue to constructively criticise the bits I don't like ¯\(ツ)

Top Bottom