I bit the bullet and ordered my Rift!

Oh, forgot to mention, in case it helps anyone: the Rift is perfectly usable with one eye! I have virtually no vision in my right eye, but still get a mind blowing experience.

This gadget sounds very interesting, but the loss in IQ is a deal breaker for me. I didn't buy dual 780s and a Catleap ips panel, to eventually downgrade my in-game image quality for the sake of pseudo-vr visuals. Plus I also like be aware of my surroundings. Gonna keep an eye on this product though to see where it goes. But for me, the TrackIR works perfectly. And that price.......seriously?! I'd rather put that cash towards high end rudders; something that actually impacts gameplay.

This gadget sounds very interesting, but the loss in IQ is a deal breaker for me. I didn't buy dual 780s and a Catleap ips panel, to eventually downgrade my in-game image quality for the sake of pseudo-vr visuals. Plus I also like be aware of my surroundings. Gonna keep an eye on this product though to see where it goes. But for me, the TrackIR works perfectly. And that price.......seriously?! I'd rather put that cash towards high end rudders; something that actually impacts gameplay.

that is fair enough, different strokes and we all make our own minds up..... but I would not swap my elite experience in the rift for experiencing it on a 3 x 4K screen 2D setup with Track IR (unless I get to sell it all and keep the money :) )

its good we are all different however.

however, why is is "pseudo VR"?

surely that is saying virtual, virtual reality?

Also, IME the ability to see around you (esp in glass topped ships) impacts your gameplay as much as a flight stick (Tho am not arguing with you, a good stick is also bread and butter hardware for elite imo)

Last edited:

Same here, although I did try the OR for a while. Can't fault its sense of immersion in the cockpit, but the loss of visual fidelity is too much for me. I went back to the trackIR and havent felt the need to get the OR out again. It will be getting ebay'd before Christmas.

Oh and I just received my MFG Crosswind which has been on order for 3 months, much better use of £250 for me! Although I may need to find an offline game to use them in when I move out late January... :(

Simple advice. DO NOT GET A RIFT. They are not quite ready, and in less than a year (or so they say) the consumer version comes out. You WILLL have buyers remorse when that happens, or simply pay twice. No one will take it at a reasonable price off ebay when the consumer units ship.

I've got a rift, and will have to pay twice when CV comes out.

It's a bit like looking through the window of a sweet shop, all crystal clear and great to look at, but then put on a pair of misted up glasses and go into the shop. Everything is rather blurry, but the point is you are actually IN the sweet shop, not just looking through the window. What a treat it is!

Im waiting for a more complete version. Most of the ppl that have the DK2 are constantly tweaking their settings. Its not a plug and play thing it requires a lot of time to configure to get it to your liking.

Simple advice. DO NOT GET A RIFT. They are not quite ready, and in less than a year (or so they say) the consumer version comes out. You WILLL have buyers remorse when that happens, or simply pay twice. No one will take it at a reasonable price off ebay when the consumer units ship.

Bit late for that, he's just ordered! :D

Ive a DK1 and a DK2 , and already have had the best gaming experiences of my 30 odd years of gaming life. No regrets whatsoever :)

And there's no way Im selling mine, Im going to keep them for as long as Im around.

The balancing view:
Heed the warnings, then get a DK2 and have the best VR experience available until the unannounced CV1 is shipping - remember DK2 was announced a few months before shipping began, and it took a few months again to clear the shipping backlog.
I doubt a DK2 is a worse investment than a 4K monitor - they are much cheaper for a start. What PC parts don't depreciate heavily?*

*HOTAS, if you insist on answering rhetorical questions.

Seriously considering the consumer version now. I'd like to try before I buy though - bit concerned about the motion sickness..

I get sever motion sickness in games like half-life (yeah it sucks) but not BF2,3,4 etc.. I have had motion sickness from some of the rift demos, specifically those where you are the character using WASD to move around. In ED, I can play for hours.. its different and I love every minute of it, just wish text was easier to read and galaxy map was easier to operate.

I get sever motion sickness in games like half-life (yeah it sucks) but not BF2,3,4 etc.. I have had motion sickness from some of the rift demos, specifically those where you are the character using WASD to move around. In ED, I can play for hours.. its different and I love every minute of it, just wish text was easier to read and galaxy map was easier to operate.

Its a real shame yourself and unfortunately quite a few others have issues with HL2. I am one of the lucky ones who has no problems at all with it and it's an awesome VR experience.

Its a real shame yourself and unfortunately quite a few others have issues with HL2. I am one of the lucky ones who has no problems at all with it and it's an awesome VR experience.

I have issues with HL even without the rift :) got so far in the story but just couldn't bear it any longer, the first game I ever noticed it in :(

So what? It is either wait one year without VR experience, or enjoy one year with VR experience. VR Cinema alone is worth it - my own Cinema, open anytime I want it, no noisy people, no mobiles ringing during the movie, no gravitational challenged girl eating crisps.... Buyer's remorse? Why? 350$ is not much for a hobby. My Dad spends much more on his fishing equipment... and he barely uses it. Hell, I bought a new motorcycle last year, and didn't drive more than 400 km with it. Or my stupid Wii. Bought a used one, with a couple of games. After 2 hours I accidentally threw the wiimote against the wall, smashing it. Haven't bothered getting it replaced, because it sucked really that much.

Or my nephews (both are around 15). They get a new smart phone every year, and they are rather expensive.

Of course, if you are a student, and low on cash, you should reevaluate your priorities. I'm not a kid anymore, and working a steady job with income provides you with some... benefits;).

Im waiting for a more complete version. Most of the ppl that have the DK2 are constantly tweaking their settings. Its not a plug and play thing it requires a lot of time to configure to get it to your liking.

The tweaking is part of the fun. You are right of course, if you want a simple plug and play device, the DK2 is really not the first HMD that comes to mind.

Last edited:

I won't be suffering buyers remorse. It will go in my museum box next to my Spectrum and Commodore 128 :p
You are correct in that they are not quite ready though, it certainly needs a better display, but its still far better than anything else available on the market as of right now, IMO.

Couldn't disagree with you moar. I wish more games would work in it but Im happy with ED, Alien Isolation and lots of demos to play around with. I'll gladly buy CV1 when its out. Its the most amazing gaming experience I have ever had. And oh yea, 3d movies too..

Couldn't disagree with you moar. I wish more games would work in it but Im happy with ED, Alien Isolation and lots of demos to play around with. I'll gladly buy CV1 when its out. Its the most amazing gaming experience I have ever had. And oh yea, 3d movies too..

Agreed. To be honest, I first thought it was just a gimmick, a toy for some nerds. Until my friend got a DK2, and insisted that I tried it. Boy, I was never more wrong about something. Senza Peso literally blew my mind. This is the future of entertainment. Maybe even not just Entertainment.

Seriously considering the consumer version now. I'd like to try before I buy though - bit concerned about the motion sickness..

Its worth remembering that with cockpit based games the sickness is you feeling sick from something that would probably make you sick in real life. If you came bombing into land on a massive space station I'm pretty sure your stomach would churn a little. Most things in Elite that have made me feel a tiny bit sick in the stomach would probably have done so were it happening for real.

I think this is important to point out because many people think its a failure of the rift itself when in fact its a compliment to the technology due to how its fooling your brain that you are really there. Although I'm not sure the same can be said for standing games where you are walking - I believe there is still a lot of work to be done in this area to combat the motion sickness resulting from you walking in game but not in reality.

So if you think you could cope with a ride in an small aircraft you probably would be fine in Elite (assuming a decent PC).

Last edited:
Agreed. To be honest, I first thought it was just a gimmick, a toy for some nerds. Until my friend got a DK2, and insisted that I tried it. Boy, I was never more wrong about something. Senza Peso literally blew my mind. This is the future of entertainment. Maybe even not just Entertainment.

Really? I'm not one for disagreeing with people over subjective stuff but I thought Senza was pretty flat, bar the part with the huge head looking at you.

Maybe its one of the reasons for my discontent with the DK2, I just haven't felt anything like the hype people give the whole thing - I DO understand the cockpit stuff in ED, that was fantastic, but looking out to space, or anything in any of the demos has been pretty meh.

Really? I'm not one for disagreeing with people over subjective stuff but I thought Senza was pretty flat, bar the part with the huge head looking at you.

Maybe its one of the reasons for my discontent with the DK2, I just haven't felt anything like the hype people give the whole thing - I DO understand the cockpit stuff in ED, that was fantastic, but looking out to space, or anything in any of the demos has been pretty meh.

Well, seems like I am easily impressed. If it is not your cup of coffee, that's your prerogative. Maybe because in the 90's, when I first experienced VR (those really big HMD) I also was blown away - and it was a pixelated, blurry, horribly mess. And really expensive:D.

Top Bottom