I was right, you were wrong

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I bolded the part where your logic breaks apart. You demanded 'guarantees' in your earlier post. And they 'better deliver' on it, presumable 'or else...'. But to be able to guarantee anything you need to be certain. Now you concede that they can, at best, be 'reasonably confident'. But that is very much not the same. Lets give a simple example. Let us suppose they give us a roadmap until end of 2020, with twenty things on it. They are 'reasonably confident' (lets say 90% sure) about each item on the roadmap. That means the odds of them delivering the entire package is .9^20=.12, or 12%. In other words, the odds of you being upset and frustrated even when they are 90% sure about each individual item will be 88%. So if they are reasonably confident about those things, they would at the same time be reasonably confident they won't be able to deliver all of it! But with each individual item being at 90%, they would also be reasonably confident that they would be unable to point out which one will be undelivered. :)

To actually be 'reasonably confident' about the entire package they would need to be x^20=.9 confident about each individual part. That resolves to a required certainty of 99,5% about every single thing on the roadmap. Unfortately that level of confidence simply doesn't exist in reality. So either you demand guarantees, or you expect 'reasonable confidence'. But you cant have both, how tempting it may intuitively sound

Well,we have neither now. We have radio silence and only the occasional "hey don't worry it will come eventually" intervention when people moan too loud.

Sorry but i don't call this responsible management of the community.

This game has had a lot of over-hype under-delivered content since release and has had little structure to the update path since 2.0

Well it was either a clear roadmap that they failed to stick to

That is what people are trying to explain to you: clear roadmaps are no guarantee. You demand guarantees. You won't get it. I am not sure how much simple we can make it for you. Not only has it been explained why what you want ain't gonna happen in practice, you are also given concrete factual examples that happened just a few months ago.

You want a roadmap to offers guarantees. You are not going to get it. It doesn't matter how badly you want it, or how much you feel you are entitled to it. Reality is unlikely to budge. :)

Horizons were released pretty accurately, one year after base game. Then things went to maintenance mode wrong way.
As to X and NMS - why to compare indie-studies with a dozen of developers, to Frontier with 100+ staff working on ED (at least, according to multiple statements of PR guys)?
Let's compare ED to Eve Online - where dozens of big expansions were announced 6-12 months before release date, and were released in time.

I am comparing it to pretty much all 3D open-world space games, some having more and others having less devs, because that is what ED is. I am not comparing it to a 2D strategy/excel simulator, because ED is not. I am not sure why that is puzzling.

So you suppose that 3D and interactivity makes things more complex, than lots of balance/math? (Eve Online is 3D)
Ok, let's compare ED then to GTA5 or RDR2, which are by the order of magnitude more detailed, interactive and complex in terms of 3D modelling/animation/NPC behavior, than ships models floating in the emptiness. And again it appears that well-organized development allows to live without continuous mess of failed deadlines and tons of bugs on release.

I am not sure which part of '3D open world space games' confuses you, but if you'll point at the specific word you are struggling with I'll try to clarify... :p

As to why these games struggle with roadmaps isn't something I care about. I am just pointing out an objective fact about reality. What you do with that is entirely your call, but I'd personally recommend not getting too upset about it. It's almost weekend!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Let's compare ED to Eve Online - where dozens of big expansions were announced 6-12 months before release date, and were released in time.
Is it reasonable to compare E: D with EVE Online?

EVE has subscriptions that fund dedicated servers and development.

Interestingly, EVE seems to be being developed for mobile devices now....

Is it reasonable to compare E: D with EVE Online?

EVE has subscriptions that fund dedicated servers and development.

Interestingly, EVE seems to be being developed for mobile devices now....
They can't really compare. In 2016 Eve generated $49.9m of revenues compared to £21m ($26.4m) of ED.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
I would just ask - then why can't you? You obviously want to I guess. If you can't give any info then why not just say why can't you?

That’s a good question!

While we’d love to tell you everything as we find it out, the reality is that we need to show things when they’re ready, and in the best shape possible. Every single feature, in every single game, goes through multiple iterations, bug tests and redesigns before they’re released to the public. As such, if a company were to release all the information they have, you’d end up with a lot of convoluted and eventually incorrect content.

We know it’s exciting to get a sneak peek at things in development, but as mentioned, things change and when that has to happen, we wouldn’t want to let anyone down. You also have to understand that you can’t just speak about a feature, you have to show it. That requires development time to teach the feature, tech time to set up the build, creative services time to make images and videos and community time to design a release plan and get that information out.

To do all that for information which will change very quickly doesn’t make a lot of sense. So, in order to make sure that what we present to you is as correct as possible, sometimes we have to hold our secrets to our chest and ensure it’s right before we show it off to you all.

TL;DR – Games development is constantly in flux and features constantly change. Showing off information early leads to misinformation and potential disappointment. There’s also a lot more to releasing info than simply putting a post on the internet.

We hope this information helps explain the situation a little!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
TL;DR – Games development is constantly in flux and features constantly change. Showing off information early leads to misinformation and potential disappointment. There’s also a lot more to releasing info than simply putting a post on the internet.

We hope this information helps explain the situation a little!
Indeed it does. Thanks, @Paige Harvey !

My space legs would be atrophied, pale and hairy. Probably good they aren't implemented.

However..."we want space legs!"...."can we get auto transport? Walking to my ship all the time is tedious!"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom