Important Information From Operation IDA

I hate to be the one that gets flamed for saying it, but I really dislike Discord. I went to your channel (which I do not seem to be able to find again, all of the links on your site just take me back to the Discord moderation bot). Instead of just grousing, I would like to tell you the kind of information that I would find useful.

As an example of what I would like to be able to find:
  • As a dedicated trader, what can I be doing to aid in the war?
  • Where do I need to go to do it?
  • What do I need?
    • By need:
      • what type of ship (Should I rely on my trusty old T9, my Imperial Cutter, or Should I use a T10. . . )
      • how should it be equipped
        • by that, do I need guns? I have always relied on running away
        • what shields or special things I haven't even thought of?
This is the kind of stuff that I was not able to find on your discord channel. However, that is a moot point now that I can't even find your channel. . . who knows, maybe I did something wrong and got kicked off. I never posted anything. . . that might be what got me kicked of. . . if I was kicked off, really I have no way of knowing. . .

But back to the point, as a dedicated trader, what can I be doing to aid in the war?

In another thread where I asked this question, I got the idea that traders are more of a . . . do whatever, as a trader, you are pretty much on your own.

If that is the case, I am fine with it, but if there is a coordinated effort, I would like to be part of it. It seems that Operation Ida is about being a coordinated trader-based response. However, as I said, the only things I can find are links to the moderation bot and a view-only spreadsheet. Further, looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like everything has already been repaired.

Added:
At this point, I took the time to really read the first post.

I got to this thread first by reading a post in a different thread that directed me to Operation Ida. By searching on Operation Ida, I then found your webpage. From your page, I found your discord moderation bot. Then, knowing you had a discord channel somewhere, I searched for that within Discord. That took me to your channel, which, for some reason, didn't "stick" to the channels list on the left. But like I said, I dislike discord anyways. then I got to this thread by doing a search on Operation Ida in this forum, yes, that should have been my first move.

All that said, I am back to the first post in this thread. It looks like you answered my real question . . . No, there is nothing for traders to do in this war, don't bother trying.

I am leaving this mess of a post up, but it is a disappointment that there is nothing for traders to do. I will probably take my exploration ship back out into the black and ignore the war as best I can.

Last edited:
I hate to be the one that gets flamed for saying it, but I really dislike Discord. I went to your channel (which I do not seem to be able to find again, all of the links on your site just take me back to the Discord moderation bot). Instead of just grousing, I would like to tell you the kind of information that I would find useful.

As an example of what I would like to be able to find:
  • As a dedicated trader, what can I be doing to aid in the war?
  • Where do I need to go to do it?
  • What do I need?
    • By need:
      • what type of ship (Should I rely on my trusty old T9, my Imperial Cutter, or Should I use a T10. . . )
      • how should it be equipped
        • by that, do I need guns? I have always relied on running away
        • what shields or special things I haven't even thought of?
This is the kind of stuff that I was not able to find on your discord channel. However, that is a moot point now that I can't even find your channel. . . who knows, many I did something wrong and got kicked off. I never posted anything. . . that might be what got me kicked of. . . if I was kicked off, really I have no way of knowing. . .

But back to the point, as a dedicated trader, what can I be doing to aid in the war?

In another thread where I asked this question, I got the idea that traders are more of a . . . do whatever, as a trader, you are pretty much on your own.

If that is the case, I am fine with it, but if there is a coordinated effort, I would like to be part of it. It seems that Operation Ida is about being a coordinated trader-based response. However, as I said, the only things I can find are links to the moderation bot and a view-only spreadsheet. Further, looking at the spreadsheet, it looks like everything has already been repaired.
Try this. Good for 7 days:

but I really dislike Discord
I have same issue, since last time i used it in about January website changed design / urls and now google chrome cannot auto-paste nick/password. And of coz I have no idea what I had :D So I lost contact with own guild :D because nobody types in game chat.
So weird people.

Alert: AXI and PDES are following Operation IDA's lead, and cancelling operations.
1670465180113.png

I had fun this week in HIP 23716 but I am packing it in with everyone else. I don't enjoy futility and that's all this is.

FDEV, it's truly incredible that you could make such a great game and then also run it so incredibly poorly. The game has been pretty much void of any type of story content for years then when you finally do give us something to get excited about, you make sure it's a pointless waste of time. You guys seriously have no idea how to engage a playerbase and it's sad.

On a positive note.. thank you for this one week, it really was fun while it lasted.

With all those years with BGS experience in ED I must smile a bit, it’s just FIRST week with newly released (seems very complex) system able change galaxy on bigger scale. Feedback was given clearly enough, personally I’m very curious how it will proceed… and bcs I have fun engaging with emergency matters, I will continue doing so.

You didn't actually think it would be that easy?

The first human-thargoid war took 26 years. The guardians were wiped out in their conflict. This time around, we can't even yet touch the enemy - whatever there is inside those Maelstrom clouds.
No, we can't win yet. What we can do is learn - and reduce the suffering of the people in the affected systems. Those systems may be lost, the people don't need to be.

Or, to put it differently, after 5(?) years, FD introduced a new game mechanic against which our tried counters don't work. So yes, stopping those useless tactics could be the right decision. Rolling over and submitting definitely isn't.

You didn't actually think it would be that easy?

The first human-thargoid war took 26 years. The guardians were wiped out in their conflict. This time around, we can't even yet touch the enemy - whatever there is inside those Maelstrom clouds.
No, we can't win yet. What we can do is learn - and reduce the suffering of the people in the affected systems. Those systems may be lost, the people don't need to be.

Or, to put it differently, after 5(?) years, FD introduced a new game mechanic against which our tried counters don't work. So yes, stopping those useless tactics could be the right decision. Rolling over and submitting definitely isn't.
The wipe is the problem.
Seeing all your efforts wiped is even worse than the old 10 mt target for the Oracle or the not registering bug.

Deliver 1 ton too few and all your progress is gone and you have to start anew is hilariously bad mechanic,
and will lead to player burnout.

Combined with the nonsensical rescue numbers (Matshiru Pop 2000 rescued 200000) just shows this is all player retention/grind mechanic, for nothing.
Because if all Maelstroms are there, we talk about 200 system (read that somewhere), winning them all would take years already. And no one can seriously expect ingame content (a war) last 26 years.

I'm no fan of throwing the towel on week one, I've seen FD correct miscalculations often enough for that. But just my relighted interest in the game completely zeroed out again.

The wipe is the problem.
Seeing all your efforts wiped is even worse than the old 10 mt target for the Oracle or the not registering bug.
This one point says everything that needs to be said. FD said, in their explanation of the mechanics, said that as this progresses, they'll tweak their machine.

One suggestion: don't reset it every week. Just give it six weeks and let us continue making progress. After D day in WW II you didn't see things reset every week - it was a process. This war needs to be done in the same manner. Just my 2 cents.

I have to say it did not even occur to me that the progress bar would reset weekly. The obvious interpretation was that it was linked to the multi-week counter directly above it.
I was off unlocking Guardian tech to equip properly to fight in HIP 23716, and looking forward to it. Guess I needn't have bothered.

Top Bottom