In-game generated zoo map like ZT2

That's a fantastic idea !! I too have been waiting for Frontier to add this to the game for a long time. I think it would be great to also include the option that was in Zoo Tycoon 2 as well which allowed us to go from one area of the zoo to another by simply clicking on the map.

The one challenge I can forsee is that the map in ZT2 only worked because the game-map was relatively small. If a zoo map is being procedurally generated in PZ, what does it use as an outer limit? The entire possible map space?

Maybe you could mark an area with a new Type of null barrier, lets call it map barrier, and when placing a Zoo map you can choose a map barrier group and everything inside the area would be marked on the map.
Maybe even an option that makes sure that the angles stay on 90 degree, maybe being able to use it like a multiselect

This would be a lot more difficult to do with PZ because, unlike ZT2, the game isn't locked on to a single grid system.
Could you elaborate? I remember ZT2 had mods that broke the grid system, but the map feature still worked.

Last edited:
Could you elaborate? ZT2 had mods that broke the grid system, but the map feature still worked.
Were there mods that broke the grid for fences and paths? IIRC there were mods to take objects off the grid but I don't remember any for the fences or paths, or terrain for that matter, which is what the zoo map was based on I think.

Edit: I should add that even breaking the grid didn't actually remove the grid, so the underlying gird was still there, the mods just removed the individual grids off of plants/rocks/buildings. The overall zoo grid was always there, though, and served as the base for the whole map.

I still think it would be possible in PZ regardless, but not a lot of players fill out the whole zoo map, so a generated map could look kind of odd if it's a big empty space with only a few small areas filled in. It would be great if it could be based on paths/habitats/facilities only, however, getting bigger as you added more, instead of using the outer limit of the map.

Last edited:
Were there mods that broke the grid for fences and paths? IIRC there were mods to take objects off the grid but I don't remember any for the fences or paths, or terrain for that matter, which is what the zoo map was based on I think.

Edit: I should add that even breaking the grid didn't actually remove the grid, so the underlying gird was still there, the mods just removed the individual grids off of plants/rocks/buildings. The overall zoo grid was always there, though, and served as the base for the whole map.

I still think it would be possible in PZ regardless, but not a lot of players fill out the whole zoo map, so a generated map could look kind of odd if it's a big empty space with only a few small areas filled in. It would be great if it could be based on paths/habitats/facilities only, however, getting bigger as you added more, instead of using the outer limit of the map.
Yes, I think a map based on paths and fences location could work well. Or you could just crop by coordinates.

I suggested the same thing back in the beta.. I still think it’d be a neat addition to the game and wouldn’t be super-hard to implement. In the meantime it’s not too hard to use a graphics program or even a basic word processor to create something usable for custom billboards.

Top Bottom