In system jumps.

Not all black holes have such a huge amount of mass, some are smaller in mass and gravity then stars. Did you look at the details of the black hole? The FSD targets the highest mass item in the system.

Well I'm not sure about mass of small blackholes but the gravity is enough to stop light from escaping (as to the name). So the gravity would be greater than a star. But then since mass is really what creates gravity I'm assuming its safe to say that the mass is more too. And since blackholes are created when a star of great enough mass rapidly collapses in on itself it would be safe to assume that the mass would be fairly close to the large star that collapsed. For example our sun wouldn't create a blackhole as its mass isn't enough to create one. It would create a neutron star.

Well I'm not sure about mass of small blackholes but the gravity is enough to stop light from escaping (as to the name). So the gravity would be greater than a star.
Nope, the mass isn't any more then the star it is created from, unless it has been feeding for a long time. Black holes do not create mass from nothing, it all comes from the star it was originally made from and as it will have less mass due to going supernova a lot of mass is expelled into the cosmos then the gravity won't be as strong.

But then since mass is really what creates gravity I'm assuming its safe to say that the mass is more too. And since blackholes are created when a star of great enough mass rapidly collapses in on itself it would be safe to assume that the mass would be fairly close to the large star that collapsed. For example our sun wouldn't create a blackhole as its mass isn't enough to create one. It would create a neutron star.

Yes. Also if blackholes do not feed, they will diminish over time due to the expelling of hawking radiation and other theoretic reasons. The only place gravity is so strong that light cannot escape is at the event horizon which can be a pretty small area. Some black holes event horizon will only be 6 miles in diameter when others are the size of our solar system.

Our sun will turn into a red giant and obliterate the earth in the process and will eventually turn into a white dwarf. Not enough mass for a neutron star.

This will help:

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-bl...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa

This is better: https://www.space.com/15421-black-holes-facts-formation-discovery-sdcmp.html

Last edited:
Science died a little inside from recent posts in this thread.

Hope you are not talking about mine as it is as accurate as they can tell, and I get the info from well establsihed scientific publsihed papers, magazines etc.

I like reading stuff up about it. I may not have got some of the technical terms 100% accurate though.

Last edited:
Hope you are not talking about mine as it is as accurate as they can tell, and I get the info from well establsihed scientific publsihed papers, magazines etc.

I like reading stuff up about it. I may not have got some of the technical terms 100% accurate though.

Much of the exchange you're having with the source is cringe-worthy.

This in particular.
Max Factor said:
Not all black holes have such a huge amount of mass, some are smaller in mass and gravity then stars.

The most significant factor in the force of gravity is not mass but distance, based on the inverse square law.
The point about black holes is that they are of a theoretical 0 radius, concentrating all the mass into a singularity.

Yes, at a distance, the smaller mass black hole will exert less gravitational force than a larger mass star, but you can experience far higher gravitational forces in the vicinity of a black hole because you can get so much closer to that infinitely dense point of mass.

Much of the exchange you're having with the source is cringe-worthy.

This in particular.

The most significant factor in the force of gravity is not mass but distance, based on the inverse square law.
I thought everyone new that, so didn't bother mentioning it.

The point about black holes is that they are of a theoretical 0 radius, concentrating all the mass into a singularity.
Yes, but the event horizon (where light doesn't escape and the point of no return) can be very large depending on the mass/density of the singularity. And we don't really know much about the singularity as it is impossible to see one. It is all theoretic at the moment.

Yes, at a distance, the smaller mass black hole will exert less gravitational force than a larger mass star, but you can experience far higher gravitational forces in the vicinity of a black hole because you can get so much closer to that infinitely dense point of mass.
Which was what I was trying to convey, but badly I think. If you are at the same distance from the core of a star and a black hole, the star can have a stronger gravitational pull depending on it's mass. Is that not correct? Obviously it all depends on how close you are. You cannot get that close to the core of a star due to all that super heated plasma flying around.

For black holes that form from a dying star. They cannot have more mass initially then the star that they formed from so technically cannot have a stronger gravitational pull, except for the fact you can get a lot closer, which is not advisable. Is that not correct, theoretically?

Gravity is such an odd force, it can be the weakest, but yet the stongest force out there at the same time. Still not convinced that we understand it fully.

Last edited:
1- rep. For this whole topic. All I see is the silver spoon club in action. Trying dumb down the feeling of Large systems.

Hey OP: I recommend you try exploring one of the 350,000,000,000 systems where the secondary is less than 1000,000LS from primary. There's plenty to go around, and that way, people who want to put in a extra effort - because they enjoy it - aren't being deprived of content by Team Minimum Effort For Maximum Reward

Last edited:
What I wish was that once we got far enough away from the main system and bodies, where it's basically open space, that we could throttle up to 2001c a bit faster.

I think the acceleration curve is fine to a certain point, but when you're getting into dealing with fractions of light years or at the very least 500k+ light seconds, you need to knock it up a notch...

[video=youtube_share;o4BOZcDMw_A]https://youtu.be/o4BOZcDMw_A[/video]

Also, I want spice weasels to be a tradeable rare good in game.

Last edited:
Im not agree, you idea could destroy the best joke in Elite " Free Anaconda on Hutton"
Shame yourself

Having to fly more than 6 million light seconds in supercruise (0.22 LY). You really want to do that? I've been to Hutton Orbital ONCE[/] and I won't go back. I don't agree with OP's proposal but only in detail. I have nothing against micro-jumps. But there does have to be some scale. I would say allow the hyperdrive to jump 100,000 light seconds at a shot. Then you have to spend 1 minute in cool down. Then you can go another 100,000 and then another minute in cool down. And by cool down, I mean no activity of the main drive, either hyperspace or supercruise. That would shorten the trip to a manageable time but still keep the scale of the game. And the Hutton Orbital run would still be safe; might shorten it by 30 minutes but that's about it (it takes 90 minutes right now). There's just no way around a long flight to Hutton Orbital, I'm afraid. Don't even know why they'd build a station so far from jump-in. Makes no sense whatsoever; to me anyway.

sorry OP - this is the one element of the game I would not change! I love the run to Hutton and other planets that are a long way out, gives the game the depth that makes space feel real.

Having to fly more than 6 million light seconds in supercruise (0.22 LY). You really want to do that? I've been to Hutton Orbital ONCE[/] and I won't go back. I don't agree with OP's proposal but only in detail. I have nothing against micro-jumps. But there does have to be some scale. I would say allow the hyperdrive to jump 100,000 light seconds at a shot. Then you have to spend 1 minute in cool down. Then you can go another 100,000 and then another minute in cool down. And by cool down, I mean no activity of the main drive, either hyperspace or supercruise. That would shorten the trip to a manageable time but still keep the scale of the game. And the Hutton Orbital run would still be safe; might shorten it by 30 minutes but that's about it (it takes 90 minutes right now). There's just no way around a long flight to Hutton Orbital, I'm afraid. Don't even know why they'd build a station so far from jump-in. Makes no sense whatsoever; to me anyway.

And what will you tell the people who complain about the minute in cooldown?

I know many of these suggestions are meant in good faith, but all of them exemplify in one way or another the very core of complaints. People wanting to change optional things because they don't like them, while completely overlooking the beauty of the design, which is if you don't like it, there is no compelling reason to do it. There is no inherent advantage to doing the Hutton run, no is there are drawback for not doing so. This, I think is the root of the issues with engineers actually. They got away from that design idea. Engineers actually gave significant tangible benefits, rather than being an additional option. And just look at the complaints about the Guardian Modules. People got used to engineers as then got bent when the guardian modules offered more of a side grade, optional thing, with no compelling reason for or against. And all that gets back to the root of why some people have such a difficult time with Elite in general. There is no narrative, no direction, no progression. Too many choices and options for some people to cope with.

You see, this comparison doesn't work. You may find combat boring, but unless you're AFK turret farming (which is an engineers balance problem, not a design possible), combat requires constant input from the player. You are continuously engaged- tracking were the target is, and rotating to face them.

The long supercruise trips, you're literally doing nothing. You can turn off your monitor and leave your computer if you wanted to. Even if you find combat boring, it's at least a game. Doing literally nothing while your ship flies in a straight line is not; that's a loading screen, or a screen saver at best.

I made billions on the Smeaton run, while taking a shower, cooking dinner, doing laundry, clipping my toenails...

Very productive game play.

Top Bottom