The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

This poi I propose happens to be in the Bleak lands, which could use some love.

Name:Opposites attract
Game map search ref:Ploea brou RH-D C12-27
Description:Planet four of this system is a gas giant whose rings feature a Notable Stellar Phenomena of particular note: It contains not one, but two kinds of crystalline structures in close proximity.
The bright red rubeum ice crystals contrast with the blue-gray lindigoticum silicate crystals and offer the long-range traveller a quirky sight, both visually and scientifically.
Screenshot reference: Source: https://i.imgur.com/eW0L5sf.jpg

Last edited:
Name:Foggy Fractures of Fachiae
Search reference:Fachiae OM-F c26-0 2 A
DescriptionQuite similar to the famous "Labirinto" in Traikaae CH-Y c10, but on the opposite side of the galaxy. This rocky ice world is covered in a light fog, has an abundance of water geysers, canyons deeper than 10km, and mountains that peak above the mist. Many of the geological sites are landable, making for a great basecamp on long expeditions, and the sites that may be treacherous for motherships are excellent SLF racing centers.
Screenshots:
eGmvcwN.png
OTq3kj7.png
tYHNkRv.png
F7uw5xq.png

Found while approaching Kalipheron, I was immediately reminded of Labirinto when this beauty appeared in the FSS. I'm currently exploring the geosites, and finding which ones are suitable for basecamps or SLF/SRV racing. I'll be here for a day or two most likely. Come join me! I visited about half of the sites, and 21 & 47 were my favorites. Geysers on rolling hills were at 47, and spiky towers with narrow riverbed trails were at 21.

*I'll be editing to add images and maybe come up with a better name/description

Last edited:
Name:Diana's Distant Dream
Game map search ref:Byua Aub ID-Q b19-0 A 6
Description:During the Distant Worlds 2 Expedition, some CMDRs passed through that system. It is unknown whether some of them noticed the beauty of the more distant planets of the main sun, or if they were blinded by the presence of an ammonia world close to the primary star.
After travelling through lots and lots of icy rock - filled systems with my ship, the "Deepdiggin' Diana", the ammonia world A 2 got all the attention at first but a brief look into the system map showed that landable, 0.8G icy planet with a ring.
And the view of that planet and its ring was quite worth the 2k-ls trip.
The ring itself has a very dark grey color which reflects the sunlight in a brighter silver. When landed on the planet surface, the ring divides the twilight, making a rest on A 6 a bit surreal and adds a dreamlike tone to the scenery. Maybe the Low-Temperature diamonds are the reason for the rings color.
Screenshot reference:

Lacked info for some real stars:

GHJ2008 3

GHJ2008 3 (also know as XTE J1650-500) is a binary system located 26 000 light years from Sol in the constellation of Ara. It was firstly observed in the beginning of 21st century and registered as transient binary X-ray source. The black hole was claimed to have a mass of 3.8 solar masses, which back then made it the lightest ever found black hole. Later the claim was retracted and the approximations were about 5–10 solar masses. Years later detailed system scan revealed that first calculations were right and black hole has a 3.8 solar masses. For now the system also contains a K-class star that will likely be absorbed by the black hole in the next several hundred years.

Source: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0004-637X/692/2/1597

P.S. Though the star is shown as a main body, you actually jump to the hole. Don`t know if it is a bug or intentional feature, so i decided not to include it in the system description

GRS 1730-312

GRS 1730-312 was firstly detected more than a millennium ago in 1994 with GRANAT orbital
observatory and Kvant module of the first multi-module space station Mir. It rapidly became
the most intensive X-ray source in the galactic center region and lasted in this state
for more than a month. After the end of the observation it was concluded to be a soft X-ray
transient which was caused by accretion of ordinary star by either a black hole or a
neutron star.

Nowadays the system hosts 4 black holes: B, C, D could be remnants of the devoured stars in
the past and the central A could be the devour because of its 150 solar masses which is three
times higher than second most massive black hole in the system.

P.S. I was too far away when I noticed the lack of info, so I think that some more photos are stiil needed.

Source: http://hea.iki.rssi.ru/ru/PDF/dissertation_trudolyubov.pdf

Special thanks to CMDR Fackemout for helping with the translation.

GRS 1758-258

GRS 1758-258 was the first microquasar with winged radio features found in early 21-st century. At those times it
was observed at the 6 cm wavelength using the legendary VLA radio telescopes complex. The observation showed two jets that
made a Z-type morphology and indicated the microquasar as strong X-ray emitter, also capturing another unrelated source.
Data analysis revealed that system hosts a non-degenerate star and possibly one black hole.

Years later the system was firstly visited and scanned by CMDR GLYN-IE. The interesting thing is that nowadays it
contains two black holes and a neutron star, and as there is no supernova remnants around the place it was either
incorrect observation and assumption or relatively quick supernova cycle or one more black hole was later captured by
the system gravity. In any of the cases, it is a mystery to reveal for the modern scientist.

Source: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1801/1801.07498.pdf

V821 Arae

V821 Arae (also referred as GX 339-4 and GRS 1009-45) is a moderately strong variable galactic low-mass X-ray binary source that contains a black-hole and G-class white-yellow star. System was firstly observed in 21st century and helped astronomers of those times in understanding black holes variable accretion disks. The system is a regular X-ray emitter because of the stellar matter, that flows from the star to the black hole and forms a disk around the latter. A strong variable relativistic jet is also usually observed. System holds only one ice world planet that regularly witnesses dances of the black hole and the star.

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/231064742_A_Sequence_of_Declining_Outbursts_from_GX_339-4

P.S. I also have some photos with a ship in the foreground but I do not think they are actually needed.

P.P.S. I actually used various sources to make more content descriptions, and the presented ones are the most informative that can be added to the entry for those who are interested. And, yes, the most content paper about GRS 1730-312 seems to be in Russian only , so if you manage to find a translation or some other article it would be really nice.

Last edited:
Name:Nine Metal Moons
Game map search ref:Auphailn AA-A e0
Description:A system with nine metal rich moons (4 with geo sites) illuminated by two NS, a WD and a Y dwarf.
Screenshot reference:
KHOuA6g.png

aVeznjW.png

eoVvo9m.png

at least I think that 9 MRmoons aren't that common ?!

I decided not to divide my recent discoveries into several posts and show everything in one. The discoveries will go from most interesting to least (in my opinion).

1) Helium For Nothing

A cluster of 20 systems that contain 84 helium-rich gas giants in total. It is located less than 500 light years from The Anvil (Eeshorks ZK-B B2-9) and Greae Phio (Greae Phio LS-L C23-221) nebulas and lies on the Bubble-to-Sagittarius A* path, therefore making it an interesting point to visit for the travelers. Plus, not all of the nearby area was explored, so there may be some more helium-rich gas giants there.

Complete list:

Eeshorks AB-W d2-640
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1972
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1702
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1442
Eeshorks AB-W d2-641
Eeshorks AB-W d2-512
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1539
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1567
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1469
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1372
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1242
Eeshorks AB-W d2-79
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1530
Eeshorks AB-W d2-621
Eeshorks AB-W d2-614
Eeshorks AB-W d2-613
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1065
Eeshorks AB-W d2-1238
Eeshorks AB-W d2-339
Eeshorks AB-W d2-428

2) Black Medusa Nebula

A violet-black nebula located 8500 light years from Sagittarius A* on the border of the Empyrean Straits. It is located a little higher than the main galactic plane and floats above the disk. It hosts several water and earth-like worlds and also several colonies of roseum sinuous tubers in some of its systems. The nebula is also accompanied by the nearby "Medusa's Tentacle" planetary.

Pheia Auscs LZ-J C24-82

3) Medusa`s Tentacle

Located 250 light years from Black Medusa Nebula, this planetary does not hold anything particularly interesting inside but can form some decent views being in the background with the Black Medusa.

Pheia Auscs TJ-Q E5-109

4) Athairk Planetary Triad

A cluster of three planetary nebulas in Athairk sector. All of them are relatively close to each other, representing three
different ways of expanding gases after death of the central star.

Athairk PN-T e3-3267
Athairk MH-V e2-1078
Athairk JB-X e1-1309

(pictures go respectively)

5) Dim Red Rays Life

A lonely earth-like wolrd bathing in the red rays of L-type dwarf. It is located 28 light years from its star and should have a nice view from the surface. There is also another L-type dwarf 500 light seconds away which should be the second brightest star in the planet's sky.

Dryaa Flyi UX-T B45-2

6) Faint Beacon

The system contains 3 stars orbiting around a black hole. The third is L-dwarf that has rocky rings and orbited by angled ice wolrd. Though the planet is quite distant this dwarf is the only strong light source which creates some nice views on the surface

Scheau Ploe EG-Y G6

Name:Galileo's Fishbowl
Search reference:SWUENAA NO-O D7-76
Planet: A 6 A A
Description3,000 light-seconds from the main A-class star, a small rocky moon (A 6 A A) hugs its parent water world so closely ( under 9 Mm) as to provide a majestic view of the massive azure body from several of its geological sites. With a rotational period of just .2 days, it’s also possible to watch a neighboring ringed Y-class dwarf slowly float across the viewing plane. The observer is treated to a spectacular view of the looming aquatic body overhead as well as the ringed purple giant as they pass across the viewing arc.

Silicate vapor geysers are abundant across the surface of this low-G moon.
Screenshots:

Last edited:
NameHappy Planet
Search reference:EOCH FLYUAE AN-X C16-379
Description :Planet A 3.
A happy hmc world located about 2500 ly from Colonia, on the way to the bubble.
You will need a bit of luck or patience to get the smiley on the light part of the planet (rotation period is 1.3 d)

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_132054.jpg
    IMG_20190415_132054.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
POI Name: Yomi
POI Type: Remarkable system with many wonders. It has 211 geological sites, two moons in super tight orbit, a moon circumnavigating the ring of a gas giant and a white dwarf, among other things.
GalMap Ref: Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100
Description: Commander Jav Marlo found this system during Distant Worlds 2.

Extract from his log:

(…)

Resuming log. Midway between the Phoenix Nebula and the Morphenniel Nebula, in the Izanami region, I have found an interesting system, Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100. Its primary star is a deadly and beautiful white dwarf, that has been guarding the entrance of the system since more than ten thousand million years. If the explorer that manages to arrive here is prudent and able enough to avoid the deadly trap of the white dwarf exclusion zone, he will find himself in an incredible dark and cold, but beautiful system hiding many wonders.

The white dwarf guarding the entrance to Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100

There are four class I cold hydrogen rich gas giants with thirteen icy bodies orbiting them. All these icy moons are landable and there are two hundred and eleven different geological sites spread among them. The first moon in the third gas giant has forty nine geological sites. The system contains too a secondary brown dwarf star more than one hundred thousand light years away that keeps another six similar icy bodies orbiting around. None of the nineteen icy bodies in the system has a temperature above the forty kelvin degrees.

The system Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100

The first gas giant has a very close couple of moons that share an incredibly tight orbit.

The Hyperion flying towards Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 a a

The smallest of then has deep canyons and forty five geological sites, providing incredible views of the other moon and the gas giant.

The Hyperion flying over a canyon in Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 a a

The fourth gas giant has two moons. The closer one describes an orbit that circumnavigates the ring of the planet almost touching it.

The Hyperion flying towards Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 A

It has forty five geological sites too, providing with many potential campsites from where to behold the magnificent ring of the gas giant. The views are quite similar to those on the Silver Highway in system Phipoea HJ-D c27-5254.

The Hyperion landed at The Hyperion landed at Prooe Flyuae YZ-P d5-100 A 1 A

Being this system in the region of Izanami, the Japanese goddess of both creation and hell, it reminded me the legend of Yomi, the land of the dead, most commonly known for Izanami’s retreat to that place after her death, that is described in Japanese mythology as a World of Darkness.

I think Yomi would be a very proper name for this place.

(…)

Name:Neighboring Rocks
Game map search ref:PLAA CHRAEI YD-K D8-20
Description:These two small icy bodies, bodies 5A and 5B, measuring 416km and 400km in radius respectively, are orbiting each other is a very close binary system and have a nice view of the other moon and the gas giant they are orbiting, depending on which one of them you land on and at what time.
These planets both have silicate vapour geysers, body 5A presents 23 geo sites, while body 5B presents 10, these geo sites can add to the allready amazing sight of the neighboring moon and/or the gas giant.
Another charm of these 2 moons is their weird, misshapen appearance, moon 5B is more misshapen than body 5A and looks roughly like a weird potato, but both planets are fairly cute in a way.
Getting a nice place for a screenshot can prove a bit difficult because of their proximity of 1 - 2Mm, it is very easy for the other moon to be shadowed by the one you are landed on.
Screenshot reference:

Eoch Pruae HC-U e3-4418 (Pharona Nebula) has some errors, including a missing image and an "enter image description here" at the end. A revised version of the text:

"A red-green supernova remnant, containing a collection of planets that co-orbit both the neutron star and the class F white star found in the system. The most notable one is AB 2, a High Metal Content world with no less than 13 moons."

I left out the bit about the image at the end, since I can't see the image itself.

Top Bottom