Ships Introducing the Diamondback Explorer

At just under 10 mil creds for a good explorer it is cheap in my opinion. If you are realistic and tell yourself you will not fight in it and just explore in it it's a great ship. However never done any pew-pew in this, maybe its something to consider after my long trip out.

I did pew pew in it to make money for the 5A FSD and a 5A fuel scoop. It requires a bit FA off manoeuvring to hit small agile targets, it isn't as good as a dog-fighter as the Scout but not necessarily a worse combat ship. The huge hard point helps to take out targets quicker while the internal compartment allow a bigger shield and a SCB to make it more durable in conflict zones. It still a quite small target so you don't even get hit that much. The hard point placement is great, for small targets I still preferred gimballed but fixed lasers is a viable choice, as all three hard-points nicely congregate.

It also make's an apex smuggling ship. It's a great light transport with that range.

Yes, that where this ship absolutely shines. From the moment you drop out of SC you can activate silent running and you'll still only at be at 75% at the moment of docking. Because of it's size it can fit through the access port in any orientation and squeeze itself through in the small gap between two Type 9's who are getting in and out simultaneously. Even if you are assigned a landing spot right at the front, killing engines and deploying landing gear will bring you to a halt fast enough to not overshoot.

The Explorer doesn't exactly strike me as a good explorer for its price.

The Asp is very slightly more expensive

12 mill for the DBX, 14 mill for the Asp (after maximizing jump range, before fitting AFMU)

The Asp jumps 1 LY more, the DBX only scoops at 343kg/s while the Asp scoops 502kg/s

Asp 7 Compartments, DBX only 5 (eventually that will also matter)

Upsizing one of the class 4 compartments into 5 would go a long way here...

my comparisons:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70i,,2-3I6u7_5K2C5K8I,4_wmpT7Q42jw2UI
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,,2-3I6u7_6u2C8S8I,52W7Q4mpV2jw2UI

Last edited:
65k_4.jpg

I actually went this far with my DBE. Great ship! Now has a mileage of over 130k LY and counting.

It's sort of hilarious to reread this thread after all this time has passed, with the benefit of hindsight.

FD ended up buffing slots (and making some sensors built in) in the diamondbacks, just as was suggested about 15 minutes after their release.

The diamondbacks still have the undersized scoops, and most of the community now accepts that this sucks.

What I didn't realize at the time was how much the diamondback heat efficiency would improve effective travel speed compared to the asp (since the diamondback can jump while scooping safely), even with an undersized scoop.

This, coupled with buffed internals, make the DBE a great explorer ship, even if it's a bit slower than the asp at traveling (the difference essentially disappears if you stick to white stars, where most earthlikes are found).

---

Mike Evans' mockery was pretty disappointing. DB detractors were mostly right, and FD eventually came around on internals at least.

Last edited:
It's sort of hilarious to reread this thread after all this time has passed, with the benefit of hindsight.

FD ended up buffing slots (and making some sensors built in) in the diamondbacks, just as was suggested about 15 minutes after their release.

The diamondbacks still have the undersized scoops, and most of the community now accepts that this sucks.

What I didn't realize at the time was how much the diamondback heat efficiency would improve effective travel speed compared to the asp (since the diamondback can jump while scooping safely), even with an undersized scoop.

This, coupled with buffed internals, make the DBE a great explorer ship, even if it's a bit slower than the asp at traveling (the difference essentially disappears if you stick to white stars, where most earthlikes are found).

---

Mike Evans' mockery was pretty disappointing. DB detractors were mostly right, and FD eventually came around on internals at least.

I wonder how many people from 4 years ago are even still playing the game for this thread to be a relevant memory. :p

Funny enough, I do happen to have a DbE now, though it is in the hanger most all of the time and I happen to be on the other side of the galaxy in a Vulture, meandering around after DW2.

Pw7fwtb.jpg

Though now with the FSS mini-game taking some of the soul out of first-person exploration game-play for me, along with things like soon being able to apply ship cosmetics anywhere further deflating the game's substance a bit, I'm not sure how much exploration I'll be getting up to in the future myself anyway.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom