PvP I've been corrupted *sigh*

Make sure you're taking your shots within the 1.5km range. Beyond that, the target has too much time to move out of the way.
I couldn't hit a thing when I first tried a PA on the nose of my courier, which was running LR bursts on the wings (and later multicannons 'cause I kept finding that by the time I'd got their shields down, there wasn't enough WEP to fire the PA. If only WEP charges were needed to cycle the weapon rather than fire it)

Then I tried them again in my krait which was running triple efficient beams and suddenly found that I was landing shots 'cause the beam falloff was forcing me to stick inside 1km

... I wonder if they'd pair well with cytoscramblers for the same reason. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Deleted member 192138

D
Landing PAs is about positioning, relative vector and timing. After that comes being able to aim over the target reticule. You won't learn these by crutching on focused. Screemonster isn't far off with getting practise at range control being super important but I'd suggest fixed multicannons instead of lasers because projectiles will teach you more about range control for PAs than hitscan.

Landing PAs is about positioning, relative vector and timing. After that comes being able to aim over the target reticule. You won't learn these by crutching on focused. Screemonster isn't far off with getting practise at range control being super important but I'd suggest fixed multicannons instead of lasers because projectiles will teach you more about range control for PAs than hitscan.

One problem I have is that I fly ships that tend to be less manoeuvrable than others, my FGS, Krait or sometimes Challenger. The problem I have is when I get into a joust type situation the other guy is passed me before I get a shot away.

Advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated, clearly I try to change my vectors and keep as much time on target as I can but it's definitely against Cmdr's where I fall down

Deleted member 192138

D
Well then don't fly those ships 🤷 good boost multiplier and strong lats/verts is crucial for the reticule manipulation to keep good time on target with PAs. FDL, Chieftain, Viper, Vulture. If you're having trouble landing shots in jousts then your issue is about positioning though. You don't need such manoeuvrability when your opponent is flying in to headbutt you. But if you're always chasing their reticule instead of preparing to set up shots then you'll always be behind the curve trying to get damage out.

Well then don't fly those ships 🤷 good boost multiplier and strong lats/verts is crucial for the reticule manipulation to keep good time on target with PAs. FDL, Chieftain, Viper, Vulture. If you're having trouble landing shots in jousts then your issue is about positioning though. You don't need such manoeuvrability when your opponent is flying in to headbutt you. But if you're always chasing their reticule instead of preparing to set up shots then you'll always be behind the curve trying to get damage out.

I keep trying these ships and simply can't get on with any of them. My FDL is used mostly as an extra module storage bay, mine is currently running a five Packhounds build. It might get a tiny bit hot with repeated firing- not to mention my poor old CPU!

I definitely am chasing the reticule which I sometimes think is a part of my problem. Good idea to practice with fixed MC's it's a fair point that I use the greater shot speed of the focussed PA's as a crutch.

Try not to settle on the Guardian FSD booster when you're aiming for the FSD :p

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to see a Guardian FSD booster (I keep forgetting it exists) and wasn't particularly concerned with what module the frags were pointed at after the thrusters went down the first time.

Regardless, I figured it would be easy enough to knockout the thrusters if they lit up again...and it was. His reboot finishes when he's at 28% hull, then his drives go dark again at ~12%, which was too late to do it again.

Definitely not. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a Plasma FdL. FAon perhaps, FAoff no.

I find plasma and cannon the least sensitive of all fixed weapons to to FA On vs. FA Off, as they don't need to be held on the target, or moved to it in timing with a mandatory delay. I can't aim rails for crap with FA off while using a stick (well not my sticks anyway), but PAs are much more forgiving, at least in this regard. Of course, landing hitscan is much easier than leading a target with a projectile, when both the firing platform and said target may be moving erratically.

One problem I have is that I fly ships that tend to be less manoeuvrable than others, my FGS, Krait or sometimes Challenger. The problem I have is when I get into a joust type situation the other guy is passed me before I get a shot away.

Advice or thoughts on this would be appreciated, clearly I try to change my vectors and keep as much time on target as I can but it's definitely against Cmdr's where I fall down

Challenger and even FGS should have the rotationals to keep on almost any target, but the Krait is super sensitive to blue zone and will often require a lot of FA off to reduce closing velocity enough to keep up with more agile ships that are trying to orbit it.

I have very mixed feelings about the Kraits for this reason. My FA Off aim is not good, and FA On (with appropriately timed toggling) considerably aids in projectile evasion with most ships, but I just cannot keep up with better pilots in more agile vessels if I stay FA On most of the time in a Krait. Boost abuse only goes so far...against more modest pilots the firepower and durability dominates, but when I fight top tier ones in FDLs I embarrass myself in that ship without an SLF and gimbaled weapons to make up for my fumbling.

You don't need such manoeuvrability when your opponent is flying in to headbutt you.

The upside to this is that if they aren't flying to headbutt me, I have a pretty good shot at dodging standard velocity PA fire, even in a Krait...and if they are flying to head butt my Krait, well the Krait is almost twice the mass of an FDL or Mamba, so they are welcome to it. Those class six biweaves will be back in no time.

It's those pilots with enough control to boost orbit in nice tight loops while never flying directly toward me, who can still keep the pressure up while doing so that I find most troublesome.

Last edited:
There's an advice I got for another FPS (Natural Selection 2) which I find help tremendously with rail/PA aiming:

Don't try to aim at the target - shoot when the target cross your reticle!

This is easiest exemplified in a joust situation: see where their leading circle is heading (left/right/up/down etc) - and aim further that direction on approach. Their leading circle will soar past you on some side of your ship as you get close to passing eachother. Anticipate where and aim there based on the early movement of the leading circle. When the circle came dashing past, time your shot to fire right as your reticle intersect the leading circle. This is probably easier done with FA-off.

This supposedly helps in any "burst/close" fire weapon as it reduces the input you need to process to land a shot. You see where the target will be, wait for it to get there, and fire right as it does, rather than try to track it and fire when it get to the same position. For a rail you can use the same principle at long range, by aiming almost at the module, start to charge & aim towards the module, and have the shot fire as the gimbal trigger and before you pass too far.

There's an advice I got for another FPS (Natural Selection 2) which I find help tremendously with rail/PA aiming:

Don't try to aim at the target - shoot when the target cross your reticle!

This is easiest exemplified in a joust situation: see where their leading circle is heading (left/right/up/down etc) - and aim further that direction on approach. Their leading circle will soar past you on some side of your ship as you get close to passing eachother. Anticipate where and aim there based on the early movement of the leading circle. When the circle came dashing past, time your shot to fire right as your reticle intersect the leading circle. This is probably easier done with FA-off.

This supposedly helps in any "burst/close" fire weapon as it reduces the input you need to process to land a shot. You see where the target will be, wait for it to get there, and fire right as it does, rather than try to track it and fire when it get to the same position. For a rail you can use the same principle at long range, by aiming almost at the module, start to charge & aim towards the module, and have the shot fire as the gimbal trigger and before you pass too far.

Indeed, this also applies to PA aim. Sure, fa-on aiming can be steady, but it lacks the x-y axis mobility faoff aim provides -that being a less stable, but is perfectly capable of the (sigh) aiming-circle-bypass-anticipation method. With the mamba in a joust, it's crucial to have faoff, if you intend on pipping shields, because if you leave ENG under 2 pips, fa-on turning/aiming will be a nightmare.

Fighting your slfs with apas helped me a lot at figuring faoff aim out, in case anyone hasn't done that already.

Indeed, this also applies to PA aim. Sure, fa-on aiming can be steady, but it lacks the x-y axis mobility faoff aim provides -that being a less stable, but is perfectly capable of the (sigh) aiming-circle-bypass-anticipation method. With the mamba in a joust, it's crucial to have faoff, if you intend on pipping shields, because if you leave ENG under 2 pips, fa-on turning/aiming will be a nightmare.

Fighting your slfs with apas helped me a lot at figuring faoff aim out, in case anyone hasn't done that already.
Definitely! Since I fly almost exclusively FA-off I'm not a great judge of when it's "required". One thing I should definitely practice more is when it's beneficial to toggle FA-on.

In this game I think the "waiting" aiming technique is usable on every weapon that don't use continuous fire. I use it for PA/APA/Frag/Pacifiers/Cannons/Dumbfire/Rails and to some extent burst lasers. The more burst/close range the weapon, the more it can benefit, as the inputs are less frequent. You can't realistically do it every pulse laser shot for example, and if you can it's probably more effort than trying to track the target instead.

Been quite busy this weekend but hope to be back for more duels soon!

Regarding Andy, I found a video I recorded shortly before I took my most recent break:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9urnn1bK4c

Was re-Engineering my FDL's FSD when he pulled me. This was one of the encounters that prompted me to try to work drag into my FDL loadout, but I'm not terribly keen on frags or seekers on that ship...I have trouble working them into loadouts I actually enjoy using. He must not have liked that shieldless MkII setup, as I didn't see him use it for long. Exceptionally vulnerable canopy doesn't mix well with no shields and projectiles.

Anyway, if he's using premium ammo and spending a lot of time gathering materials for it, that would seem to make inflicting attrition upon him even more worthwhile.

If any of you guys on PC want some help aiming/landing PA's with FA off, if be happy to do some sparing with you and teach you how. I could also stream on discord and walk you through how I do it. Most of you have already added me in game but those that haven't, just send me a PM if you're interested.

tbh I wouldn't bother with Polaris. Even if you were to win he'll just go to Cenicennino to get raw mats stocked up for premiums and then come back at it.

Ahh, I was already wondering what was so special about Cenicennino that he is there daily in solo, mystery solved.

For PAs what helped me was to aim for a point in space there the reticle would be in a second or 2 and boost into that direction, then use the thrusters to "line up". Now I just have to learn evasive, pre-turn, rails and PAs at the same time, .....

Deleted member 182079

D
Even if you were to win he'll just go to Cenicennino to get raw mats stocked up for premiums and then come back at it.
At least now I understand what he's always doing in that system. So it's a good source for raw mats... will need to check that out some day when I run out - still have plenty (apart from Selenium) from my crystal run a few months ago.

Edit - lol - didn't read Paul's comment until now:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Been practicing with my mix of three short range PA's (only G4 because Colonia) and two efficient PA's because the heat was getting a bit out of hand after the second or third quick shot.

I've been mostly practicing in a LowRes and then a HighRes so it's just the one thing to practice. Anyhow, two volleys will take out a novice Clipper shields and all. Reasonably punchy if the opponent will obligingly sit still!

If any of you guys on PC want some help aiming/landing PA's with FA off, if be happy to do some sparing with you and teach you how. I could also stream on discord and walk you through how I do it. Most of you have already added me in game but those that haven't, just send me a PM if you're interested.
Are you bubble based? Which Galactic time are you active? I be interested to take you up on this!

It's advice for Paul time again! Just had a whole bunch of fights with Cmdr F_E_N_I_K_S who was rated deadly (I think) but flew most excellently. He had an FDL with Prismatic in the 4 and SCB in the 5 and a stack of shield boosters. He was running a long range huge beam, not sure what engineering with long range super penetrator rails.

His tactic was long range sniping basically, supported by him being decent at orbiting to keep out of range. I got blown up half a dozen times or so, gamely switching between my FGS and Krait with different builds. I did best when I deployed my SLF in the form of Cmdr Jellicoe in his Corvette.

My lesson from the rebuy screen x6 was that long range sniping is very effective. I did best when my Krait had long range pulses on them, steadily burning through my own SCB's. Even under heavy fire from Jellicoe his shields didn't break so they are clearly very strong indeed.

Advice being, what to do in such a scenario? And should I not drop the shorter range PA's and simply mimic his build? It's clearly effective!

Still, enjoyed the fights, despite losing badly each time I got better and practice makes perfect after all!

Top Bottom