PvP I've been corrupted *sigh*

Are you talking about reverski or simply not making an effort to stay close? For example, if I boost past and got long range weaponry, I would not be in a hurry to get back to <1 km range and would quite happy dwell at 3-6 km.

The key to dealing with someone that want to stay far away is to get close. If you can't reliably boost close often enough to them, or is too slow to close the distance, low wake away. If it's duels and someone just play to win, then take them to an asteroid belt where you can't just hide at long range and reliable hit.

That was definitely the problem, his FDL was faster than my Krait. I did get close once or twice and did land a couple of good volleys with my PA's but never enough and he was always able to regain distance.

He wasn't reverski, he was orbiting mostly, at least I think so. Despite the mild frustration in fairness I enjoyed the practice, PvP can be a bit thin on the ground in Colonia.

Are you talking about reverski or simply not making an effort to stay close? For example, if I boost past and got long range weaponry, I would not be in a hurry to get back to <1 km range and would quite happy dwell at 3-6 km.

The key to dealing with someone that want to stay far away is to get close. If you can't reliably boost close often enough to them, or is too slow to close the distance, low wake away. If it's duels and someone just play to win, then take them to an asteroid belt where you can't just hide at long range and reliable hit.
You know what would be a fun place for a duel? Right on top of an anarchy outpost, inside where the NFZ would be. Better watch your stray fire!

Deleted member 192138

D
It's advice for Paul time again! Just had a whole bunch of fights with Cmdr F_E_N_I_K_S who was rated deadly (I think) but flew most excellently. He had an FDL with Prismatic in the 4 and SCB in the 5 and a stack of shield boosters. He was running a long range huge beam, not sure what engineering with long range super penetrator rails.

His tactic was long range sniping basically, supported by him being decent at orbiting to keep out of range. I got blown up half a dozen times or so, gamely switching between my FGS and Krait with different builds. I did best when I deployed my SLF in the form of Cmdr Jellicoe in his Corvette.

My lesson from the rebuy screen x6 was that long range sniping is very effective. I did best when my Krait had long range pulses on them, steadily burning through my own SCB's. Even under heavy fire from Jellicoe his shields didn't break so they are clearly very strong indeed.

Advice being, what to do in such a scenario? And should I not drop the shorter range PA's and simply mimic his build? It's clearly effective!

Still, enjoyed the fights, despite losing badly each time I got better and practice makes perfect after all!
If you're not faster than a long range reverski hitscan build then it's just a simple equation of your DPS and healthpool vs their DPS and healthpool, with something on the side for basic pip management to make sure you're keeping weapons cap up and pips in systems at the right moments. The fight was mostly decided on paper before it started, unless they fly bad. All they have to do is keep you at range and let their shields regen while they keep a trickle of DPS going out to you as you slowly edge up to them, then when you get too close for comfort they just boost past you.

If they don't boost wide then it's during the boost past you that you have the opportunity to get a pre-turn and damage out. Be patient, time your boosts and don't get too eager or they use your tunnel vision to pull range from your own boost. Consider that although your relative speeds are low, they're facing forwards at cruise speed backwards and you're boosting forwards at top speed. So if you time your boost wrong then you're in boost stall floundering while they're sailing past you.

Phasing weapons are especially good. Means damage is permanent beyond the shields and often their builds have very light hull underneath.

Reverski builds don't need big shields at all. They sit on the edge of your range the whole time, use weapons that have engineering to eliminate falloff, whilst you're attacking them with weapons that do have falloff. They tend to store most of their MJ in SCBs and will get a lot back out of biweave regen every time you're stalled, slowly turning back around to face them.

These builds are effective as long as someone plays to the trap but tbh they're exceptionally boring to fly. So if you just want cheap, uninteresting wins out of people who haven't figured out they can low wake on you every time you pull 5km and go back to tickling them to boredom then go for it.

By playing around on Coriolis and with stuff I had in stock I've given my Corvette a little boost. It now looks like this.

I have got parts to swap Packhounds and Seekers for Hammers and small rails. All long range, because that's what I've got in stock.

My FGS is fitted one with a mix of short range and efficient PA's and one all MC's, depending if I hunt NPC's or Cmdr's. My Krait fitted with PA's and Hammers. I think I'm quite pleased with my little combat fleet! So I thought I'd share.

Still got a tiny problem with those pesky FDL's that won't sit still but my Corvette can play with them for a while before leaving if it came to that.... Even if @Bigmaec brings his bloody reverb torps to the party!

By playing around on Coriolis and with stuff I had in stock I've given my Corvette a little boost. It now looks like this.

I have got parts to swap Packhounds and Seekers for Hammers and small rails. All long range, because that's what I've got in stock.

My FGS is fitted one with a mix of short range and efficient PA's and one all MC's, depending if I hunt NPC's or Cmdr's. My Krait fitted with PA's and Hammers. I think I'm quite pleased with my little combat fleet! So I thought I'd share.

Still got a tiny problem with those pesky FDL's that won't sit still but my Corvette can play with them for a while before leaving if it came to that.... Even if @Bigmaec brings his bloody reverb torps to the party!

Nice, another Corvette to shoot at with my Anaconda. I'm still testing the Pac-PA layout.

Got a bit of practice in between first and second sleep last night.

Gimbaled SRB thermal cascade cannon didn't seem to be very effective against this thermal conduit FDL:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paPlxQeHdA

Losing the canopy early on and, for whatever reason, not being able to see half the incoming PA fire didn't help either, but I was able to confirm what I had already known...thermal load effects are ultra-niche and largely still a waste of a secondary.

I also ran into someone who was new to PvP in an iCourier. The match vs. my Phantom was a bit one sided, so I switched to my DBX mission runner/explorer/taxi and threw a force shell turret on the bottom of it for good measure:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5BdfcVKA0

Trying to get the force shell turret to engage was a bit tricky, but sending the driveless Courier sailing off into the sunset was worth it.

Had a fun fight with Paulina in her Anaconda with me in my Corvette. Seems my Corvette build can take a lot of punishment but not enough against her PA's and Crytoscrambler's.

My phasing lasers did take quite a big chunk from her hull though, so demonstrated how effective they are. I think more punch needed elsewhere in the attack! Maybe putting Imperial Hammers and rails might work in the smaller slots?

What do you guys go with on the big ships?

Ramming also effective for both sides!

Thanks, that was a nice distraction from all the bgs stuff going on lately. I changed the weapons to 3 pacifiers, 2 srb PAs, 2 feedback rails, and 1 corrosive multi. The pacifiers and PAs are speed wise close enough to hit together most times. There was some lag and desync, but things worked themselves out eventually. The phasing pulses took a good chunk of my hull (4k+) which was surprising. Still need to get better at when to boost, pip management, pre-turn, ....., everything

Also need to learn not to move my head to much or slower in VR to get a better video.

Glad you recorded that! Well, sort of! The game looks great in VR, the Corvette looks mean!

I think I still need lots of practice but it was fun.... now I can see what an easy target I make myself! I think there's a lesson here somewhere!

Also, do Rail Guns punch through shields?

I'm back on my way to Colonia...

I engineered an Explo Keelback to get there, when this happened:

It was a bit on the close side, a frag Mamba would've propably got me.
Also I didn't use FAoff, flew in a straight line and skipped MRP day (which is now corrected)

Build
(the enforcers are there simply to transfer them quicker to Colonia)

Keelie
1769467x1869.jpg

What a charming individual! Bit of bad luck he was right there, I take it you weren't far from the bubble at that point? Very annoying if you had got blown up.

Look forward to you getting back, I've been practicing with my FGS, Corvette and Krait- all very solid against NPC's a bit, um, meh against hoomins!

What a charming individual! Bit of bad luck he was right there, I take it you weren't far from the bubble at that point? Very annoying if you had got blown up.

Look forward to you getting back, I've been practicing with my FGS, Corvette and Krait- all very solid against NPC's a bit, um, meh against hoomins!
Ah, it was at Wolf 397, I just wanted to lightweight the enforcers, I still was in the process of engineering. So nothing would've been lost.

I always wanted to see gankers use the Asp Scout, CM4 in giant packs for some odd reason.

"Ha! Its an Asp Scout...what harm could it do to me?"

"AGGGGHHGETTHEMOFFGETTHEMOFF"
The people who fall to a gank like the one above would fall to a CM4 or Asp Scout gank too.
If I wouldn't have limited myself artificially by using a Keelback with a small shield, but used my standard ship loadout like
a Phantom or higher with 1000+ shields I could've lowwaked on that one.

People who use 3D shielded Asps die to a CM4/Asp too.

Top Bottom