ANNOUNCEMENT January Update - Patch Notes

Also, thinking they don't test anything only cause there are still bugs in releases is just ignorance. Elite Dangerous is one of the most optimized and stable games out there, and I don't really get why it's bashed so hard while Bethesda or Ubisoft games get it easy with their way buggier and unstable games.

After the ARX update when game was completely broken for weeks and fleet carriers delayed for months (years maybe, who knows?) can make people assume the patches/updates are not completely tested.

Last edited:
When can we expect the "This update sucks!" posts? Oh yeah, BEFORE the update is even available, of course!
I've now got the update and can safely declare, "This update sucks!"

Don't worry, I'm not angry*. Major updates suck no matter what the game. This is the way. Hopefully the next point release (SOON please) will fix what is broken.

* This assumes the CMs are wrong about framerate being tied to server performance. If they are actually right, then FDev is a bunch of dummies :p

Conflict zone behaviour seems to have changed.

The progress bar no longer appears on the top-right info panel, and conflict zones do not seem to be "winnable" because of it - new ships keep spawning in.

There's nothing in the patch notes about this kind of change. Can anyone confirm?

Also, thinking they don't test anything only cause there are still bugs in releases is just ignorance. Elite Dangerous is one of the most optimized and stable games out there, and I don't really get why it's bashed so hard while Bethesda or Ubisoft games get it easy with their way buggier and unstable games.

Sure, there are still some really annoying bugs in ED and some have been there for a while, but that doesn't mean they don't test anything. No piece of software releases bug-free. None, nada, zero. So you have to pick your fights if you don't have the resources to fix everything. Which the team does. That's all there is to it.

i bet you feel pretty good now, after this outburst of whataboutism and reductio ad absurdum just after calling everyone else ignorant. classic.

More data on the CZ bug:

The progress bars appear and progress normally until the Spec-Ops arrive. If you kill a Spec-Ops ship, the whole interface in the top-right disappears. You then can't win the CZ (unless you don't engage the Spec-Ops somehow). You also get no visible tracking of the Spec-Ops objective. Whether you win it or not is unknown.

I'm also getting an audio bug where background low level thruster sounds are glitching and even playing while docked.

So PMFs can be in Witch Head Nebula now? How does that work for already existing groups since we can't reapply or ask to be moved?
I don't see anything in the patch notes that implies that, and it's both outside the 500 LY normal range and "lore sensitive / in the news" from the PMF rules - is this a change that's been announced elsewhere?

(The Witch Head BGS was unlocked in late December, though, so if you want to support NPC superpower factions to take ownership of the burning rubble you can)

Of course, no update to exploration without errors: now the surface signal identifier numbers are cropped out from the Navigation panel. What used to be "Surface Signal: Biological [8]" is now "Surface Signal: Biological". It's still visible if you target them, but now if you want to visit a specific one (for example, if you're surveying all the biological signals), you'll have to click through them all. Submitted to the issue tracker. (See here.)

First one is moderately annoying, but Second one is quite nasty.
January Update Patch 1 confirmed (unfortunately)

Seeing a lot of stalling/juddering/stuttering that was not there previously, especially when jumping and arriving at a star.
Not sure if this is a server load issue associated with people downloading the patch, or a new feature.

thanks for the improved FSS
happy to have faster scans
happy to see the info (bio/geo) in the system map

but sadly....
once we jump to another system or when we enter again the previously scanned system, these infos (bio/geo) are lost, we need to FSS scan again

so, for january update patch 2, is it possible (please) to have the number of bio/geo/human/thargoid/guardian stored in the journal.log (with the materials) so a third party tool can retrieve them for a later use ?

Seeing a lot of stalling/juddering/stuttering that was not there previously, especially when jumping and arriving at a star.
Not sure if this is a server load issue associated with people downloading the patch, or a new feature.

Thanks everyone for replies, I had small hope that FDev learn from the past and released patched content will work correctly ... or at least in patched content will be no bugs or problems. I was obviously very naive ...

Top Bottom