Live Forum Q&A - Animation!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Heya!

In terms of the information, we've had a lot of good info come out in the Q&A so far including a lot of stuff not previously known. Things like new mascots, secret images on screens, detail about plaza's etc and a lot of info and behind the scenes stuff.

It's important to remember that these sessions are about getting closer to the team and asking questions about their specific area. Other questions such as the roadmap and game would be one for other Q&A sessions and livestreams that you can see on our schedule.

Thank you for the time youve given us ,along with all the info of course, #infrontierwetrust #planetcoasterislife

Thank you guys for taking time for us and answering so many questions that late in the evening (this is even a public holiday in some countries)!!! I'm so much looking forward to the next build and the final release like never before. Keep on going!!! You're a great team!!! Thanks again!!!! [yesnod]

JonnyB

Frontier
Frontier
Also another question: How many tries does it usually take for an animation to look good?

Good question.

We start our animations by filming ourselves acting out what we need to animate, this gives us a great starting point. Then we do a blockout, this is what we call the "Key Poses", basically the main poses we need to get the idea across. We'll then show this to the other animators to get feedback and change anything that isn't working. From here it's really easy to start from scratch if necessary (that doesn't happen often, we're pretty awesome [happy]) or make a few tweaks and continue to flesh out the shot. We get constant feedback from the team as we progress to make sure the animation makes sense from a game design perspective and to check the animation will work from the air as well as the ground, this is a simulation game after all.

So normally it's the first try, although we will be making changes and adjustments as we go, it's a fluid creative process and a lot of fun!

Nodgers

Frontier
Frontier
Just made an account for this since i don't own the game yet.

Have you ever given up on an animation or passed it over to somebody else because you thought it was too hard to do or didnt know how exactly to do it? Also what was the first animation you've ever done?

Love the animations and ofcourse the game so far, keep going!

We tend to work really closely when making animations so if someone's struggling with an animation all the other animators jump in to help give advice until it's looking good. The only time I hand over an animation is when I get swamped with management stuff and need to give it to someone else with more time!

The first thing I ever animated was a stop-motion animation of my dad's Poise-lamp. I'd seen the Luxo Jr animation on an episode of Seaseme Street and didn't realise it was made on a computer (this was about 20 years ago so it wasn't commonplace), so I got my mum's Hi-8 video camera and tried to make my own version of it by starting and stopping the recording really fast for each frame. I think it destroyed the camera in the but I became an animator so you know, swings and roundabouts.

Good question.

We start our animations by filming ourselves acting out what we need to animate, this gives us a great starting point. Then we do a blockout, this is what we call the "Key Poses", basically the main poses we need to get the idea across. We'll then show this to the other animators to get feedback and change anything that isn't working. From here it's really easy to start from scratch if necessary (that doesn't happen often, we're pretty awesome [happy]) or make a few tweaks and continue to flesh out the shot. We get constant feedback from the team as we progress to make sure the animation makes sense from a game design perspective and to check the animation will work from the air as well as the ground, this is a simulation game after all.

So normally it's the first try, although we will be making changes and adjustments as we go, it's a fluid creative process and a lot of fun!

Pretty awesome? Totally awesome :)

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Ok guys, we've gone slightly over the two hours so let's officially call the Q&A to a close so these guys can get home for the evening.

Thank you so much for taking part and joining in.

We've got more livestreams and Q&A sessions coming up, so please do come back and join in for those. Check out the schedule here.

Thank you so much for joining in, I hope you've all found it useful. Once again, thank you so much for your continued support. :)

The only time I hand over an animation is when I get swamped with management stuff and need to give it to someone else with more time!

Can you give us some insight as to what management aspects you work on? Thanks!

#UdderlyCosmic

EDIT: Thanks to all the team at Frontier for this Q&A. Very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Never got my questions answered, but never mind. It was good to see what the devs had to say and we got to know quite a bit more about the upcoming alpha 2 Cosmic cow wow and Gulpee Rex comes to the game and those new paths with stairs, will make designing your parks that bit more interesting.

Thank you guys for taking the time to answer all the questions, you managed to deal with. Keep up the good work, this game gets better every day.

JonnyB

Frontier
Frontier
Ok guys, we've gone slightly over the two hours so let's officially call the Q&A to a close so these guys can get home for the evening.

Thank you so much for taking part and joining in.

We've got more livestreams and Q&A sessions coming up, so please do come back and join in for those. Check out the schedule here.

Thank you so much for joining in, I hope you've all found it useful. Once again, thank you so much for your continued support. :)

It's been a blast, thanks for having us! I'll be on the forum from time to time commenting on all the awesome parks you guys create! Thanks for being such a great community!

Cheers

JonnyB

Oh dear. I've been digging and painting in the garden the last few hours and I thought this started at 8 so I came in and had a shower and sat down ready and I've missed it. I guess I better start reading lol.

Thank you for a amazing game this far and having this sorts of Q&A! [happy]

¤ Have you considered to animate parents with toddlers in strollers and/or disabled people in wheelchairs to include more diversity?

¤ Will there be real graffiti attacks on our building walls ingame as this animated clip?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mgso-BMq9U

¤ From the same clip, many have notice two guys holding hands passing by. Will there be homosexual couples interacting in the game? Also a question of diversity.

¤ Will teenagers be able to mess with mascots, like knock over King Coaster or stamp on Gulpee's tail?

¤ We have seen pictures of colonial guards. In what way are we going to be able to use them in them game? Shows and parades maybe? [yesnod]

¤ Vomits has been on the topics in the forum lately. Have you made any animation of people throwing up yet? [rolleyes]

¤ Some of us like to make "naughty parks" sometimes to test the games limits. Will guests be able to react on being imprisoned? [squeeeeee]

Thank you!

Failure, I didn't get my questions answered. [ugh]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom