Make it hard

the Galaxy is dangerous. They should have to learn to play the game, and only take low ranked missions until they do, rather than nerfing it to oblivion for 90%+ of the player base.

NPCs are zero threat and you cannot lose an interdiction unless you’re afk.
90%+ - citation please :)
(Only as I consider the 90%+ is likely to be 'OK' with things as they are)

I've even won an interdiction while attending a call of nature 🤣

Last edited:
Interesting that you say that...

A returning player may disagree with you:

Oh come on. Its very obvious what the issue that player has is. Zero engineering.

I assume he has horizons, and is getting engineered enemies but has not engineered his own ship. Thats not the game being difficult, its the player not using the tools at his disposal.

.... only around half of the potential player-base has Horizons.

Correct me if im wrong here (because i bought horizons instantly when i bought the game, i dont know what its like without), but i assume if you dont own horizons, the game doesnt throw engineered enemies at you? If it does, thats obviously ridiculous.

to be honest, I dont get why people wouldnt get Horizons. If you can afford to spend time on a gaming PC, you can afford to buy a small update to a game. Why play half the game only?

Oh come on. Its very obvious what the issue that player has is. Zero engineering.

I assume he has horizons, and is getting engineered enemies but has not engineered his own ship. Thats not the game being difficult, its the player not using the tools at his disposal.
And your point is that engineering is mandatory now?
G5 everything and module stacking / PP modules make the game 'easy peasy' as player ships can then be totally overpowered in comparison to the NPC ships - then players bleat that the game is too easy, but won't 'nerf' their 'Godships' (or visit the 'tougher' optional content) because...

If the complaining players actually considered that they removed the challenge themselves and caused their own frustration, maybe then the 'it is too easy' bleating would subside, I doubt it though as doing that is actually a pro-active move 🤷‍♂️

Here we go again, it may be easy for you to get all your engineering done in a few minutes, for me as a new player it isnt. I havent done any of them before, unlocking is new for me, my resources are very limited so yeah, the game can be pretty hard.

Just because its easy for you it doesnt mean you can berate others. Step outside of your bubble and try and look at things from someone elses bubble.

And before anyone starts chiming in how easely resources can be cheesed with logging exploits at the jamesson crashsite or LTDmining ask yourself why you find yourself without challenges left. You cant cheese and exploit and then turn around and blame everyone else. Be a grown up already!

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Correct me if im wrong here (because i bought horizons instantly when i bought the game, i dont know what its like without), but i assume if you dont own horizons, the game doesnt throw engineered enemies at you? If it does, thats obviously ridiculous.

to be honest, I dont get why people wouldnt get Horizons. If you can afford to spend time on a gaming PC, you can afford to buy a small update to a game. Why play half the game only?
The game, as I understand it (and someone will hopefully correct me if that understanding is wrong), does not take into account whether or not the player has access to Horizons when creating NPC opponents. Just as it does not seem to take into account the level of engineering applied to the player's current ship when creating NPC opponents.

Even those with Horizons can choose to play in base-game mode - which means that they have their fully functional engineered ship while playing the base game.

Not everyone has the spare money to spend on an optional DLC for a video game - no matter how trivial that sum is considered to be by some players.

Here we go again, it may be easy for you to get all your engineering done in a few minutes, for me as a new player it isnt. I havent done any of them before, unlocking is new for me, my resources are very limited so yeah, the game can be pretty hard.

Just because its easy for you it doesnt mean you can berate others. Step outside of your bubble and try and look at things from someone elses bubble.

And before anyone starts chiming in how easely resources can be cheesed with logging exploits at the jamesson crashsite or LTDmining ask yourself why you find yourself without challenges left. You cant cheese and exploit and then turn around and blame everyone else. Be a grown up already!
Don't fret, this is 'normal' for the players who make the game too easy for themselves...

You are, as a new player, in the toughest - yet most exciting - bit of the game and have loads of good stuff ahead to engage with - it can even be great fun if you resist the 'norm' and don't exploit the known 'features' of the game.

Also consider that some of the long-term players consider the game as we have it today isn't the game they believed they would get :)

Enjoy yourself, ignore the salty, demeaning, myopic comments and play the way you like, I certainly do over all 3 of my accounts (y)

Deleted member 182079

D
Don't fret, this is 'normal' for the players who make the game too easy for themselves...

You are, as a new player, in the toughest - yet most exciting - bit of the game and have loads of good stuff ahead to engage with - it can even be great fun if you resist the 'norm' and don't exploit the known 'features' of the game.

Also consider that some of the long-term players consider the game as we have it today isn't the game they believed they would get :)

Enjoy yourself, ignore the salty, demeaning, myopic comments and play the way you like, I certainly do over all 3 of my accounts (y)
My alt (Mostly Harmless, flying a Crusader with Harmless SLF pilot and G1 LR lasers and MC, everything else is non-engineered) got pulled over by a Master level NPC in a Python yesterday. Was a rather drawn out but exciting fight, they got me down to 60% hull (1200 points) but I still managed to destroy them eventually - the most frustrating part was that 3 burst lasers struggled against a SCB spamming enemy. It's doable (and it was fun for me) but I think I'm supposed to run from those enemies that early in the game.

Flying barely/un-engineered ships isn't automatically a death sentence to be fair. Getting to the skill level in both terms of piloting and outfitting a ship that can push back even on superior enemies is part of the fun and learning curve in the game.

Nerf Away at the NPCs, pls. This cmdr suk at combat, getting old not for sissies.

About the only way I'll get 100K bounty vouchers for Mel Brandon is by humping it back to the bubble to work some NHSS lvl 4 and then hump it back to Colonia. Am slightly less anxious to do that than fit up for mining (refinery, prospector + collector limpets, abrasion blasters, seismic charge ...) still trying to figure out the least painful way to get 25 occupied escape pods. The 1 in 10 or 20 chances for getting a half handful of escape pods ... thinking that might take a few days for 25.

Have tried some megaships (cargo, freedom, ...) closest thus far was almost goned boom|rebuy at Colonial Bastion nr Jaques Station. Maybe at a Lvl 0 Distress USSs? The last try at one of those, maybe a Lvl 2 and did go *boom*rebuy but that was sooo 5 min (1.6 year actually) ago.

NHSSs in Colonia would be nice o7.

And your point is that engineering is mandatory now?
G5 everything and module stacking / PP modules make the game 'easy peasy' as player ships can then be totally overpowered in comparison to the NPC ships - then players bleat that the game is too easy, but won't 'nerf' their 'Godships' (or visit the 'tougher' optional content) because...

If the complaining players actually considered that they removed the challenge themselves and caused their own frustration, maybe then the 'it is too easy' bleating would subside, I doubt it though as doing that is actually a pro-active move 🤷‍♂️

If you own horizons? Yes, its mandatory. You could argue that its too powerful (for one thing id halve the values on shield booster), but given its existance in its current form, not using it is stupid.

and no, its not a grind. Not a serious one anyway.. you can easily gather the mats to G5 a large ship in an evening.

I wouldn't call Engineering mandatory, but it certainly makes a CMDR more effective, at just about everything.

Correct me if im wrong here (because i bought horizons instantly when i bought the game, i dont know what its like without), but i assume if you dont own horizons, the game doesnt throw engineered enemies at you?

It does.

Everyone plays in the same setting and as far as I can tell, random NPC encounters only take CMDR rank and ship into account, not any Engineering one may or may not have.

Specific encounters are the same no matter what the player or CMDR has access to.

Nerf Away at the NPCs, pls. This cmdr suk at combat, getting old not for sissies.

About the only way I'll get 100K bounty vouchers for Mel Brandon is by humping it back to the bubble to work some NHSS lvl 4 and then hump it back to Colonia. Am slightly less anxious to do that than fit up for mining (refinery, prospector + collector limpets, abrasion blasters, seismic charge ...) still trying to figure out the least painful way to get 25 occupied escape pods. The 1 in 10 or 20 chances for getting a half handful of escape pods ... thinking that might take a few days for 25.

Have tried some megaships (cargo, freedom, ...) closest thus far was almost goned boom|rebuy at Colonial Bastion nr Jaques Station. Maybe at a Lvl 0 Distress USSs? The last try at one of those, maybe a Lvl 2 and did go *boom*rebuy but that was sooo 5 min (1.6 year actually) ago.

NHSSs in Colonia would be nice o7.
The 25 escape pods can be 'obtained' from a megaship in the Colonia region:

For the bounty vouchers try dropping into a High RES and annoying an 'reasonable' NPC and scooting straight back to where the System Security ships are flying around, they will help and as long as you have hit a few times the bounty is yours!

If you'd like a helping hand, send this CMDR a friend request - he is currently sulking, unloved, in Carcosa while I am working another account - I'll happily tag along and ride shotgun for you :)

The game, as I understand it (and someone will hopefully correct me if that understanding is wrong), does not take into account whether or not the player has access to Horizons when creating NPC opponents. Just as it does not seem to take into account the level of engineering applied to the player's current ship when creating NPC opponents.

Even those with Horizons can choose to play in base-game mode - which means that they have their fully functional engineered ship while playing the base game.

Not everyone has the spare money to spend on an optional DLC for a video game - no matter how trivial that sum is considered to be by some players.

Well if thats the case, playing without horizons must SUCK. Basically renders combat off limits entirely, unless you wanna spend a week killing a bullet sponge with non engineered weapons.

And it really wouldnt be an issue for people to have their fully engineered ship in the base game. When i can take a G5 Anaconda or Corvette into a wing assassination mission with nothing but gimballed multi cannons and literally just target the FDL and hold fire until its dead... its not like i need to take an engineered ship into the base game.. why would i? For what gain?

But only if you want 'easy mode', maybe ;)
(then complain that NPC's present no 'challenge')

For crying out loud. How is this complex to understand?

Players can attack players
Players without engineering will get instantly obliterated by those with
Players that attack players will almost certainly have engineered their ships

given those three points, suggesting that people dont engineer their ships so they can get PvE challenge is suggesting they sign themselves up to being target practice in PvP.

Actually this game still can be a real challenge, even to those veterans like me (2.5k hours).
Just started to fly faoff only in an engineered python. I had a real struggle AND lots of fun fighting 2 Expert-Vulture-npcs who wanted my precious cargo.

So yeah...this game is still a blast.(y)

For crying out loud. How is this complex to understand?

Players can attack players
Players without engineering will get instantly obliterated by those with
Players that attack players will almost certainly have engineered their ships

given those three points, suggesting that people dont engineer their ships so they can get PvE challenge is suggesting they sign themselves up to being target practice in PvP.
Touch a little nerve, huh?

I assume you actually read what I wrote, rather than applied some imagination to these comments? Care to quote me where I suggest folk don't engineer? Oh, sorry, you can't do that :eek:

It is also worth some consideration that the majority of systems are pretty much void of other humans, I assume you do realise that there isn't a bunch of gankers lurking in every system for some poor unfortunate 'victim' to meander in and discover immediate destruction?

Top Bottom