Map of the entire roster by (approximate) animal distribution

UPDATE: All maps have been updated for maximum accuracy according to DrBurrito's suggestions, which included the moving of some animals to more accurate locations. He did an amazing job analyzing the maps I made, and he deserves all credits for the new edits. Cheers to DrBurrito!

Side note, I love how engaging and supporting the community is, and how engaging and in touch Frontiers are! I thank everyone that gave feedback to these maps, and will continue to update them with future DLCs.

Last edited:
Probably Europe or NA. They were introduced to Australia, and I don't believe they're naturally found in the southern hemisphere. I know for sure not SA, because SA doesn't even have foxes, they have the similar-looking zorro (ironically, zorro is Spanish for fox)
South American “foxes” as a whole are a really interesting new group you’ve put me on too. They’re more related to wolves and coyotes than true foxes. If anyone has any cool info on these guys feel free to bring them my way I love learning about new groups of animals

South American “foxes” as a whole are a really interesting new group you’ve put me on too. They’re more related to wolves and coyotes than true foxes. If anyone has any cool info on these guys feel free to bring them my way I love learning about new groups of animals
I'll do some research about them, because everything SA I love. Maybe I'll start a thread. Maybe they'll become more popular than maned wolves (or we'll want both)

UPDATE: All maps have been updated for maximum accuracy according to [B][SIZE=6]DrBurrito[/SIZE][/B]'s suggestions, which included the moving of some animals to more accurate locations. He did an amazing job analyzing the maps I made, and he deserves all credits for the new edits. Cheers to DrBurrito!
🙏 🙏

This is an amazing project you came up with. I'm just glad I was able to contribute.

Most people are visual learners, so I believe this map of yours will serve an important role in educating forum users/players that come across this thread.

I compiled a map of animals by distribution. each animal is placed in roughly the center of it's distribution. Thought this could help people plan their zoos and examine the roster.

Habitat animals:
View attachment 249078

1. Timber Wolf - according to the zoopedia, he wolf represents the entirety of the gray wolf,so its full range includes North America, Europe, and Asia
  2. Saltwater Crocodile - range includes India, Indonesia and Australia
  3. Greater Flamingo - migratory, range includes most of Africa, southern Europe, and western and southern Asia
  4. King Penguin - range includes islands in the Indian Ocean, southmost South America and some islands south of New Zealand
  5. Southern Cassowary - found in both australia and Papua new guinea
  6. Jaguar - found both in southern NA and most of SA
  7. Gray Seal - Found in the northern Atlantic Ocean, including Canada, Greenland, Iceland, UK and Ireland

UPDATE: All maps have been updated for maximum accuracy according to DrBurrito's suggestions, which included the moving of some animals to more accurate locations. He did an amazing job analyzing the maps I made, and he deserves all credits for the new edits.
Ok, looking again at the map, (this is for NA), most of the NA animals are either high north or on the western coast. We need a big boost for the east coast, and for that matter a boost to Mexico.

If we get species, we can substitute Mexican subspecies (just an example, the ABB is found all over NA, but there is a Mexican subspecies in central Mexico).

We'll have to see, though, what the next pack comes with. I mean, we're just assuming it's NA, but it could also be something unexpected, like an "Islands of the World" type thing (again, just am example)

Ok, looking again at the map, (this is for NA), most of the NA animals are either high north or on the western coast. We need a big boost for the east coast, and for that matter a boost to Mexico.

If we get species, we can substitute Mexican subspecies (just an example, the ABB is found all over NA, but there is a Mexican subspecies in central Mexico).

We'll have to see, though, what the next pack comes with. I mean, we're just assuming it's NA, but it could also be something unexpected, like an "Islands of the World" type thing (again, just am example)
The east coast of NA is overly populated, and Mexico and southern US are a desert with not much Megafauna which woulkd fit in a zoo game. Even a NA pack will mostly bolster the north-west of the contienent, with things like the peccary and armadillo possibly fitting into the southern parts.

The only animal in the eastern part I can see added to the game is the raccoon.

The east coast of NA is overly populated, and Mexico and southern US are a desert
If we include exhibits, then yes, the east coast has many animals. But there's something people forget (not directed at you, but in general): I live in Texas, 1 hour from the Gulf of Mexico. The area is a swamp, literally. Going to northeast Texas we reach the Piney Woods, a temperate coniferous forest found in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (my family owns land up there so we visit often and we have many local animals I love to see and wish that could be in the game)

North and central Mexico are arid or desert, sometimes with mountains (I know, I've done 16 hour trips down to Guanajuato state, the exact center of Mexico). But there's also other parts, such as the tropical areas of Yucatan and the Pacific coast also being tropical.

Basically, my point is that there are biomes that haven't truly been explored in this part of the world (excluding the tropics, which have heavy representation, and maybe the desert if certain NA animals get the desert tag). I mean, even the temperate NA forests, found throughout the US and Canada, don't have many choices, and that's including that we have the grizzly bear and gray/timber wolf. That's why a NA animal pack excites me, we can get a bunch if animals that are spread through the country, like the puma, and have many possibilities to design a really nice zoo

If we include exhibits, then yes, the east coast has many animals. But there's something people forget (not directed at you, but in general): I live in Texas, 1 hour from the Gulf of Mexico. The area is a swamp, literally. Going to northeast Texas we reach the Piney Woods, a temperate coniferous forest found in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (my family owns land up there so we visit often and we have many local animals I love to see and wish that could be in the game)

North and central Mexico are arid or desert, sometimes with mountains (I know, I've done 16 hour trips down to Guanajuato state, the exact center of Mexico). But there's also other parts, such as the tropical areas of Yucatan and the Pacific coast also being tropical.

Basically, my point is that there are biomes that haven't truly been explored in this part of the world (excluding the tropics, which have heavy representation, and maybe the desert if certain NA animals get the desert tag). I mean, even the temperate NA forests, found throughout the US and Canada, don't have many choices, and that's including that we have the grizzly bear and gray/timber wolf. That's why a NA animal pack excites me, we can get a bunch if animals that are spread through the country, like the puma, and have many possibilities to design a really nice zoo
While I don't disagree, I want to ask, what non-exhibit animals could fit the (non-tropical) southern part of the US/Mexico?

While I don't disagree, I want to ask, what non-exhibit animals could fit the (non-tropical) southern part of the US/Mexico?
Well, to name a few:
(What are swamps classed as? Tropical, aquatic, or temperate? Many of these are from swamps)
  1. American black bear
  2. Coyote
  3. Wild boar
  4. White tailed deer
  5. American alligator
  6. Red wolf

If you want animals with unique animations:
  1. American beaver - an aquatic rodent, so already unique
  2. Red fox - they pounce on their prey, so maybe that could be implemented somehow
  3. Gray fox - unique in that they climb trees
  4. Raccoon - tree dweller, can walk on 2 and 4 feet
  5. Ringtail cat - a raccoon relative, they would definitely be unique

Well, to name a few:
(What are swamps classed as? Tropical, aquatic, or temperate? Many of these are from swamps)
  1. American black bear
  2. Coyote
  3. Wild boar
  4. White tailed deer
  5. American alligator
  6. Red wolf

If you want animals with unique animations:
  1. American beaver - an aquatic rodent, so already unique
  2. Red fox - they pounce on their prey, so maybe that could be implemented somehow
  3. Gray fox - unique in that they climb trees
  4. Raccoon - tree dweller, can walk on 2 and 4 feet
  5. Ringtail cat - a raccoon relative, they would definitely be unique
I think swamps are just a missing biome amd are covered by "aquatic". These are good animals to have.

If I had to gamble, I'd say of these the Alligator, Racoon and Beaver have a good chance. The either are either too unknown (ringtail), or reskins which are not popular enough. The wild boar may come in European though.

Non-tropical in general?

Collared peccary (desert), greater roadrunner (desert), nine-banded armadillo (desert), prairie dog (depending on the species, desert or grassland). All of these animals cross the border between the southern US and northern/central Mexico, and the American deserts are very much lacking in the game.

Well, to name a few:
Depends where on the map said swamp is. The South has warm temperate, subtropical and tropical swamps, so on top of 'Aquatic', it'd be a blend of 'Temperate' and 'Tropical', depending on which species we are talking about. Even 'Grassland' would have to be considered in certain cases (e.g. Everglades).

The only problem with the Arctic wolf is the location of the icon. The icon is thousands of miles away from the nearest wild Arctic wolf. :)

Using this distribution map, I have marked their range in yellow and a possible approximate icon location in green:

View attachment 248160
This is exactly why Arctic wolves in the game need their taiga tag removed. See how far their range is from the taiga belt in dark green? They are only found in the high Arctic tundra, absent even from the low and middle Arctic tundra, i.e. two thirds of the tundra between them and the forest zone:

Depends where on the map said swamp is. The South has warm temperate, subtropical and tropical swamps, so on top of 'Aquatic', it'd be a blend of 'Temperate' and 'Tropical', depending on which species we are talking about. Even 'Grassland' would have to be considered in certain cases (e.g. Everglades).
This is exactly why Arctic wolves in the game need their taiga tag removed. See how far their range is from the taiga belt in dark green? They are only found in the high Arctic tundra, absent even from the low and middle Arctic tundra, i.e. two thirds of the tundra between them and the forest zone:
This highlights just how ill-thought out the biome system is. It's true that the Arctic wolf should have taiga removed, but that totally ruins foliage for them because of a silly game mechanic. Obviously we all know Arctic wolves can be kept in captivity with plenty of foliage with literally no issue, but the game doesn't realize that. So it totally screws over people who don't play sandbox.

Also, "wetlands" absolutely should've been a biome at launch, as well as scrub/chaparral/Mediterranean and alpine being separate from taiga. They need to address it at some point, though I don't think they actually will.

This highlights just how ill-thought out the biome system is. It's true that the Arctic wolf should have taiga removed, but that totally ruins foliage for them because of a silly game mechanic. Obviously we all know Arctic wolves can be kept in captivity with plenty of foliage with literally no issue, but the game doesn't realize that. So it totally screws over people who don't play sandbox.

Also, "wetlands" absolutely should've been a biome at launch, as well as scrub/chaparral/Mediterranean and alpine being separate from taiga. They need to address it at some point, though I don't think they actually will.
I completely agree. Scrub, wetland, and I'd argue coastal should've been biomes at launch. The way it is now many species are in an adjacent biome instead of their actual biome.

I completely agree. Scrub, wetland, and I'd argue coastal should've been biomes at launch. The way it is now many species are in an adjacent biome instead of their actual biome.
I hope a biome overhaul is not out of the question. I'm not saying we need micro biomes like temperate rainforest or tropical dry forest etc.

But wetland, scrub, alpine and a distinct saltwater biome are 100% needed

Edit: Screw it, just gonna @ all the CMs and see if we can get any kind of info.

@Jens Erik @Tim Smith @Eltanin Casciani @Francesca Falcini

Can you let us know if a biome overhaul like has been discussed above could ever happen? Not asking if it's about to happen, I just want to know if it's possible that it could happen at some point. If it's totally off the table I think we deserve to know

Last edited:
Top Bottom