Material Grind Solution!!! Player's Drop Engineering Materials!

With the recent 'Distant Ganks 2' expedition; a lot of CMDR's have been dying.
>2,000 CMDR's dead, which is one for each of the "defense force conda's" that don't exist.

I have the solution to the engineering material grind!
Let us reap materials from player ships, just as we would for NPC's.
That way we can sit at Omega, Eravate, or Colonia, and farm materials in a fun, and efficient way.

Why?
Because NPC's tend to be better fit, and fly better than most CMDR's, even in Open Mode.
It could also be lawful, if you do it in anarchy, or use Powerplay, or a KWS to your advantage!

This is one step in the right direction, to solving the grind issue!

(Old statistics)
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/aibd53/distant_ganks_2_week_1_update/

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I remember one stream where Sandro seemed almost amused by the suggestion that player ships drop materials on destruction - then said "no"....

As long as none are taken from the victim, it doesn't actually matter.

However, I'd suggest, to troll the trolls, of course, killing any player who is more than two combat ranks below you, only drops a few units of Mechanical Scrap (or any other G1 manufactured material)
:D

Killing players equal or higher to you is the only way to gain grade 4-5 materials.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

Not quite - as the victim would be facing a rebuy simply for being a material piñata for another player.

I expect that players don't drop materials for the same reason that they don't drop cargo or caches of exploration data....

With the recent 'Distant Ganks 2' expedition; a lot of CMDR's have been dying.
>2,000 CMDR's dead, which is one for each of the "defense force conda's" that don't exist.

I have the solution to the engineering material grind!
Let us reap materials from player ships, just as we would for NPC's.
That way we can sit at Omega, Eravate, or Colonia, and farm materials in a fun, and efficient way.

Why?
Because NPC's tend to be better fit, and fly better than most CMDR's, even in Open Mode.
It could also be lawful, if you do it in anarchy, or use Powerplay, or a KWS to your advantage!

This is one step in the right direction, to solving the grind issue!

(Old statistics)
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/aibd53/distant_ganks_2_week_1_update/

So who would you farm? as people getting sick of getting killed for their potential drops, would soon avoid open.... and over time you would only encounter other players trying to kill other players.

This suggestion would also increase the incentive to combat log, as this saves the player from the rebuy cost, but it would also deny the other player from their "reward"... cue an all new high on threads relating to combat logging....

So I cannot see any benefits at all to this suggestion.

Last edited:

However, I'd suggest, to troll the trolls, of course, killing any player who is more than two combat ranks below you, only drops a few units of Mechanical Scrap (or any other G1 manufactured material)

Killing players equal or higher to you is the only way to gain grade 4-5 materials.

Excellent idea, CMDR, Z0!

Taking the mats from the CMDR, instead of spawning them. That way, there would be no way to exploit it!
Right on.

If you're harmless, no mats get dropped.
But if you're mostly harmless, or above, the same amount of mats are dropped across all ranks.
That's a nice idea, I like it!

Not quite - as the victim would be facing a rebuy simply for being a material piñata for another player.

I expect that players don't drop materials for the same reason that they don't drop cargo or caches of exploration data....

Cashes of exploration data!
I made that suggestion a while ago, and it even took momentum with Fdev during private talks with them.
Nice work on helping me remember, have rep, CMDR!
Z0

Last edited:
Mostly harmless sidewinder's, all the way to Elite anaconda's. It would be easy, since no one knows how to build their ship, or Google how to escape.

Probably in Eravate. Since that's quite a popular system.

So in an encounter where an explorer risks his rebuy and exploration data and an attacker takes no risk at all, some think the explorer should lose some materials too and donate them to the attacker? I guess this is known as a "game balance pass".

Top Bottom