Meridian - a planetary circumnavigation

Congratulations Cmdr Straha Yeager, a truly inspirational circumnavigation!

I'll update the details on the circumnavigation thread asap and sort out your EDSM badge (assuming you use EDSM). Do you have any idea of your apprioximate in-game duration and/or distance travelled for the circumnavigation?

P.S. I'm guessing you're not on EDSM?

Also - could you check your entry over here and by all means suggest an alternative image to represent your journey.

Thanks all for joining me on this journey! And what a journey it was. The final numbers...

Daily point to point travel distances calculated based on starting and finishing coordinates...

DgHSbmO.png

Total distance traveled based on SRV odometer ~5,220 km. Total time spent actually driving was ~100 hours.

I originally started keeping track of things such as number and types of blastable rocks that pinged my radar, numbers of refuels, numbers and types of hull repairs, and other mundane things such as that. After a while, it honestly just became too tedious, and so I took pictures and reported here the things that interested me.

I will be lifting off the surface in Buckeye II later today, but will not be leaving this moon until I have found the elusive geysers that my sensors indicate should be here...somewhere.

An interesting thing about this otherwise unremarkable nebula system is that system wide, it contains all raw mats across the various planets and moons, and before I leave the system, I am going to be back in my SRV to completely fill my raw material storage.

P.S. I'm guessing you're not on EDSM?

Also - could you check your entry over here and by all means suggest an alternative image to represent your journey.

I am on EDSM, and looks like you got it sorted, because I already have my badge. My official numbers for completing the Planetary Circumnavigation Club entry were just posted, and I think that image is a great representation of this journey. Thanks Alec!

ETA: Commander name on the PCC page should be Straha Yeagar. Looks like you still have it as Yeager :D

Last edited:
Thanks all for joining me on this journey! And what a journey it was. The final numbers...

Daily point to point travel distances calculated based on starting and finishing coordinates...
Those point to point calculations - did you calculate planar or spherical distances...? :x

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Given the nature of some of the history and mathematics I presented on this thread, that would have been a rather embarrassing mistake :D

Indeed it would.

If playing on the PC, my StatusDisplay app has a record feature - it can record each status.json and journal line, published by the game, in the order published.

I did some circuits of Dav's Hope while recording and produced this image (albeit in Excel):
unknown.png

Orange markers are where, on average, materials were gathered.

I will be lifting off the surface in Buckeye II later today, but will not be leaving this moon until I have found the elusive geysers that my sensors indicate should be here...somewhere.

Earlier today I flew down the long canyon that's near the large crater on the equater.
There are some great views but no geysers.
I read somewhere on the forum that the chances of finding geysers are better on planets smaller than this one.
I don't really know what to look for though.

Earlier today I flew down the long canyon that's near the large crater on the equater.
There are some great views but no geysers.
I read somewhere on the forum that the chances of finding geysers are better on planets smaller than this one.
I don't really know what to look for though.

Yeah, I have read the entire mega thread on geysers and fumeroles, and basically what it boils down to is smaller planets are better because there is less area to manually brute force mk I eyeball search, and there is no true rhyme or reason to where they are more likely to be found than anywhere else.

uYNWggE.jpg

And after about three hours of searching, I found my first ever volcanic site.

SKMCrot.jpg

wT4uPDV.png

KMhyCW1.png

jY1SFq1.png

kn9i1TT.jpg

DM5Dmcf.jpg

Once I actually got into a rhythm, and laid out an actual search pattern starting along the equator, using the glide method, I found this site close to the equator about 3/4 around from where I started. Now, if I had done my SRV circumnavigation along the equator rather than pole to pole, and had managed to stick close to the 0° parallel, I have actually have run across this site as it is only about 500m off the true equator.

And after about three hours of searching, I found my first ever volcanic site.

Once I actually got into a rhythm, and laid out an actual search pattern starting along the equator, using the glide method, I found this site close to the equator about 3/4 around from where I started. Now, if I had done my SRV circumnavigation along the equator rather than pole to pole, and had managed to stick close to the 0° parallel, I have actually have run across this site as it is only about 500m off the true equator.

Brilliant, I'll head over to look at them before leaving your planet.

It would have been awesome to come across these by chance in an SRV.

Top Bottom