Meridian - a planetary circumnavigation

And after about three hours of searching, I found my first ever volcanic site.

Once I actually got into a rhythm, and laid out an actual search pattern starting along the equator, using the glide method, I found this site close to the equator about 3/4 around from where I started. Now, if I had done my SRV circumnavigation along the equator rather than pole to pole, and had managed to stick close to the 0° parallel, I have actually have run across this site as it is only about 500m off the true equator.
Excuse my ignorance but do they show up on the SRV scanner in any obvious way? I'm just thinking you could have driven within like 200m and stil not noticed them?

Excuse my ignorance but do they show up on the SRV scanner in any obvious way? I'm just thinking you could have driven within like 200m and stil not noticed them?

Not as such (or not that I have noticed!), but the needle crystals, piceous cobbles etc that are always present at such sites always show up on the wave scanner in a particular way. If you find the scanner going mad in one direction, and / or recognise the wave pattern (not easy), and eventually lots of white dots on the radar, then you've found an activity site!

I'll go back later tonight and drive by right along the equator to see exactly what it would have looked like, and I'll post a video to give everyone an idea...that will likely be rendered moot in a couple of months:D

As promised...

[video=youtube_share;I6afezBGbqE]https://youtu.be/I6afezBGbqE[/video]

It is kind of a shame the video didn't show it terribly well, but if you look carefully, you can see the vents in the distance well before things showed up on the wave scanner.

The SRV radar looks interesting enough to investigate so shouldn't really miss them if you are close enough to pick up the signal.

The SRV radar looks interesting enough to investigate so shouldn't really miss them if you are close enough to pick up the signal.
Yup, I was thinking that too. Great to see that video and know that I probably wouldn't just drive straight past these. Thanks for going back and recording that Straha!

Top Bottom