Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

Steam's MSFS X, while much less pretty, works as an IFR trainer quite well. Yes, it's two decades out of date. It also works. :)

... also it doesn't cook your GFX card, doesn't need gigabytes of updates every month, has a huge amount of addons available, etc, etc. (The nav data can be updated.)

It does have some drawbacks though, you do need to "tune" it with some addons to make it look great but, in the end, it can be very satisfying. (I still use it a lot, much more often than X-Plane and Prepar3D and an awful lot more often than I load up MSFS 2020.)

Deleted member 182079

D
Interesting to read that some prefer FSX over 2020... the former got uninstalled as soon as 2020 arrived, haven't looked back since tbh. But I admit my focus is more on the audiovisual experience than hardcore sim detail.

Interesting to read that some prefer FSX over 2020... the former got uninstalled as soon as 2020 arrived, haven't looked back since tbh. But I admit my focus is more on the audiovisual experience than hardcore sim detail.

When MSFS sorts out turboprop modelling and some decent TP commercial aircraft* appear then I will happily spend more time in MSFS.

* Since Aerosoft's Twotter is now in beta testing then hopefully this will be quite soon. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
When MSFS sorts out turboprop modelling and some decent TP commercial aircraft* appear then I will happily spend more time in MSFS.

* Since Aerosoft's Twotter is in Beta testing then hopefully this will be quite soon. :)
Can you elaborate a little? Is it poor existing models (I tried the KingAir 350 and noticed a lot of buttons can't be interacted with, is it that?)? And/or the flight model?

Can you elaborate a little? Is it poor existing models (I tried the KingAir 350 and noticed a lot of buttons can't be interacted with, is it that?)? And/or the flight model?

It is the modelling of tp itself - it was laughable earlier, getting better. They modelled piston-prop and turbo-fan thrust OK on release, the modelling for tp thrust seemed to be just a bodge of the prop model, certainly nothing like how a tp works. I have not personally checked recently but I am told it is much better now - certainly I can't see Aerosoft taking their Twotter to beta testing if the sim couldn't model the powerplants,

Deleted member 182079

D
It is the modelling of tp itself - it was laughable earlier, getting better. They modelled piston-prop and turbo-fan thrust OK on release, the modelling for tp thrust seemed to be just a bodge of the prop model, certainly nothing like how a tp works. I have not personally checked recently but I am told it is much better now - certainly I can't see Aerosoft taking their Twotter to beta testing if the sim couldn't model the powerplants,
Ah right thanks - to be honest that kind of stuff would go right over my head as I don't have the awareness of how things are IRL or how they should be modelled/simulated in the sim. I do however remember though how twitchy the Kingair 350 used to be (even in 2020, but certainly in FSX which is why I barely flew it) and it's much nicer now. It's just the lack of interaction with the dashboard that is a bit disappointing. But not a showstopper for me either. So I guess I'm glad about my ignorance on the matter glossing over the shortcomings then!

Just to illustrate that a) they are working on it and b) it is high on the list of issues bothering people:

Slide3-1.jpg

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

Steam's MSFS X, while much less pretty, works as an IFR trainer quite well. Yes, it's two decades out of date. It also works. :)
Yeah, but the thing is that when it works 2020 in VR is a wonderful experience, this is why I haven't given up on it. But DCS has its place now too.
BTW the FBW A320 feels pretty neat by now, initially the standard A320 with its drab interior and wonky avionics was one of my least favorite planes, but the FBW version is now great, no 'inop' button forest - it grew on me especially considering how unfinished a most other planes still are. I hope the 747 will also get there, but it such a shame the 787 will never get properly fixed because it is a premium. Same goes for the G58 Baron and the Citation Longitude.

What is odd with this sim is that freeware is often better than payware. And that the marketplace has zero quality control.

Supposedly, Sim Update 8 is going to be the Everything Patch, where they don't introduce any new features, but instead fix everything that is currently broken or a bit hokey.

What I think is happened to me is the progressive fps deterioration others have also reported on the FS forums, some claim it is a memory leak. I'm still testing and tweaking stuff to make it work, but yesterday the replacement cable for the Reverb G2 also broke. :)
Fortunately the warranty claim was easy, and the new one has already shipped today.

As for waiting for another Jesus patch... I don't want to get burned again with too much hope. :)

Hello good folks - what yoke-style controllers would you recommend, or does it feel okay playing with a HOTAS?

I'm waiting for the game-of-the-year edition... So, soon... (tm)

Also, any advice on head-tracking would be welcome - I've seen that smooth-track has 6 DoF and seems good, although I may start with my 3 DoF wired EdTracker first. Any thoughts very welcome.

I use the same HOTAS setup that I use for ED. :)

Thrustmaster throttle and a VKB Gunfighter stick. Works great for me, and playing in VR - although not playing at all at the moment as my PC is having all sorts of issues with the GPU...

Hello good folks - what yoke-style controllers would you recommend, or does it feel okay playing with a HOTAS?

Also, any advice on head-tracking would be welcome - I've seen that smooth-track has 6 DoF and seems good, although I may start with my 3 DoF wired EdTracker first. Any thoughts very welcome.

The Airbus stick is great though it has a drifting issue with the rudder (twisting). To fix the issue, I simply bought rudder pedals which is far better anyway. :)
If you wish to save money and real estate on your table, I think for MSFS a throttle is completely optional. There is one on the stick and I it is enough. For DCS I needed more buttons and finer throttle control so I bought a Thrustmaster TWCS, but I am still flying MSFS without it, only stick and pedals.

I cannot comment on head tracking as I'm using VR, but you definitely want to look left/right downwards and lean forward while landing.

As for the sim itself, for me stability and performance did improve a lot with SU6 so I can fly again, supported by me setting the GPU at a more conservative profile so I have few CTDs now. If you still don't have it don't bother with the premium deluxe unless you want the airports - the planes in standard are better as those can be modded and they are much better than their deluxe/premium counterparts.

I use CHPro Yoke it is really good but if I was in the market now I would go for the Honeycomb Alpha. I also use my ED HOTAS controls ( CHPro Fighterstick and CHPro Throttle ) in other sims. At the moment you can't have aircraft-specific controller setups in MSFS2020 - I hope this is overcome soon as I don't fancy trying to fly a chopper with a yoke and it is more satisfying to fly an Airbus with a side-stick.

I don't know if anyone else is having issues but my MSFS will not load or update - stupid "something happened our end" message - error code 0x87e00017 - this complete nonsense method they have of updates etc has really urinated me off. Can't play the game without going through an update check so if their update won't come in you can't play your £120PLUS game. Back to X-Plane for something that actually works.

I don't know if anyone else is having issues but my MSFS will not load or update - stupid "something happened our end" message - error code 0x87e00017 - this complete nonsense method they have of updates etc has really urinated me off. Can't play the game without going through an update check so if their update won't come in you can't play your £120PLUS game. Back to X-Plane for something that actually works.

For anyone else who gets this issue (i.e. M$ say "something went wrong our end" and you get error code 0x87e00017) do ignore the advice to do a clean reinstall of windows (I can't believe they propose that as a "remedy"):

The game files on the PC have effectively been deleted by the broken update process so what I had to do was "Uninstall" MSFS in the Settings / Apps page and then install MSFS via the store (I had the xbox thing open too, just in case).

EDIT: (As I must have done something wrong when posting the above) - I found that all Options / Logbook etc were still present when I finally got the install finished and ran the sim.

Last edited:
Do you think I should have parked it here...?

ncE06aN.jpg

Been away from all games for a while as yet another GPU failed. Now on the fourth one, all warranties I'm happy to say, and I have to say MSFS looks very nice in VR, smooth and great looking scenery. Yes, there are definitely still issues, live weather being a big one, but even so I'm really having fun with the sim. And even Odyssey is running nice and smooth, although I have little enthusiasm to play it.

Top Bottom