Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

The new engine was needed as the current core is based on legacy FSX code and that wasn't multi-threaded either.

There's been a real hoo-har surrounding 2024 and feeling MS have reneged on their commitments. I don't think so and am looking forward to the release. Today though I just use Hype Performance Groups Action Centre/H145 for all the Medivac and firefighting stuff...

Yes, I'm actually looking forward to it too. I've had a good few years of flying for what I paid for and the sim / game has had plenty of free additions and has improved a lot (in VR too). I'm interested to see what the new game does in terms of performance improvement and I definitely will appreciate the smaller local footprint.

I did just buy the basic version, so wasn't really that much money, and tbh I typically only fly four or five planes so that will be what I'll go for again.

The new engine was needed as the current core is based on legacy FSX code and that wasn't multi-threaded either.

There's been a real hoo-har surrounding 2024 and feeling MS have reneged on their commitments. I don't think so and am looking forward to the release. Today though I just use Hype Performance Groups Action Centre/H145 for all the Medivac and firefighting stuff...

I don't think people suggesting M$ are "reneging on commitments" is very prevalent - I have not seen much moaning on any flight sim forums. M$ have explicitly announced that they are still going to develop 2020 and of course support it well after 2024 is released. Most of the criticism seemed to be from people's knee-jerk reactions without reading the FAQ about the thing:

I bought the full package of 2020 and I don't regret it one little bit. I'll be happily forking-out for 2024 even though I won't be particularly looking for the "missions" stuff (i.e. the "game" element) - I'm just hoping that they get TP performance modelled better.

Updates, new aircraft, scenery, airports... MSFS2020 the title that just keeps giving. This months "dev video" (a short one this time):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywseLvUBJOk

... including the updated roadmap:

msfs roadmap a.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to mention - WU14 (Central Eastern Europe) and the Aero 45 & 145 (Local Legend 11) are released on 25th July.

Last edited:
Sim update 13 (released yesterday) encountered an issue on installation (decompressing one thing hangs) - there is a fix (until they sort it properly) announced by MSFS on their forum so if it happens to you here you go (I did this and it sorted the issue):

I don't think people suggesting M$ are "reneging on commitments" is very prevalent
I am.

I have not seen much moaning on any flight sim forums.
I don't moan there, I moan on Obsidian Ant's YouTube channel, LOL. Actually, "moan" is too strong a word. I "voice my complaint" and then go back to what I was doing. I've done much more "moaning" about Elite Dangerous over the years, because I was much more passionate about that title than I have been for MS2020.

Anyway, I'm not very impressed with how Asobo released and subsequently updated this product (especially in light of MS2024), which I know puts us on opposite ends of the spectrum. That's okay, you can have this wonderful thread. I'll take my leave of it, just like I've taken my leave of MSFS. I just wanted to "set the record straight" that not everyone is a fan of Asobo.

I don't think people suggesting M$ are "reneging on commitments" is very prevalent - I have not seen much moaning on any flight sim forums. M$ have explicitly announced that they are still going to develop 2020 and of course support it well after 2024 is released. Most of the criticism seemed to be from people's knee-jerk reactions without reading the FAQ about the thing:

I bought the full package of 2020 and I don't regret it one little bit. I'll be happily forking-out for 2024 even though I won't be particularly looking for the "missions" stuff (i.e. the "game" element) - I'm just hoping that they get TP performance modelled better.

The fact most third party content can be moved over to 2024 makes most of the complaints completely moot anyway. It's basically an engine + gameplay update for $70 or whatever, even completely free for gamepass users.

The handful of people I've seen complaining tend to be the type that feels buying a game entitles them to near-endless free post-release development.

Even if Asobo stop development of 2020 now we've gotten far, far more post-launch support than anyone can honestly feel entitled to. Certainly haven't seen much complaining in the FS communities at all.

The fact most third party content can be moved over to 2024 makes most of the complaints completely moot anyway. It's basically an engine + gameplay update for $70 or whatever, even completely free for gamepass users.

The handful of people I've seen complaining tend to be the type that feels buying a game entitles them to near-endless free post-release development.

Even if Asobo stop development of 2020 now we've gotten far, far more post-launch support than anyone can honestly feel entitled to. Certainly haven't seen much complaining in the FS communities at all.
Very frequently, new game iterations are rather downgrades to the current product.

I'm occasionally flying the Steam MSFS X. It has many airports that have closed/shut down, and I do not need a graphics card that will blow my apartment's circuit breakers.

Top Bottom