Game Discussions Microsoft Flight Simulator

For those experiencing CTDs, something that has been suggested is (for Nvidia owners) to change from the "Game Ready" driver to the "Studio" driver, and do an 'advanced install' ensuring that 'perform a clean installation' is selected. You can do all this from Geforce Experience.

Apparently this has fixed many CTDs for a lot of people. Worth a try. 🤷‍♀️

Some Xbox mandatory update has borked the game beyond belief. Something to do with xbox app integration VERY FRICKING ANNOYING.

Triple AA game 100 % kacked out. And we complain about E: D
MSFS problem.JPG

There's a small windows update today too, about 400MB for me, which from your screenshot it shows you already have.

Probably worth logging out of the Xbox app on the PC, maybe check it's up to date and then try logging in again. Maybe uninstall and reinstall any Xbox services.

I updated and had no issues (not helpful, I know), just completed a short flight, and while I've not seen that particular error before, if you say it's related to the Xbox app, then when I have had those problems, the things above usually resolve them.

After being away from gaming in general for a while I jumped back in to MSFS, had to re-install because (of course) updates did not worked for some reason.
After getting everything working and making sure it works I jumped in and treated myself with PMDG Douglas DC-6 and what an piece of art this aircraft is!
If you want truly DCS/study level of aircraft this one will make you very happy. Exceptional quality and functionality all over.
The only addon that feels similar (that I own) is Corsair from Milviz.

Speaking of payware addons be VERY careful and actually look for any review you can out there. Sadly many planes on the marketplace are simply a poor converts from FSX that are painfully below even freeware projects for MSFS.
Especially be careful with CaptainSim - their latest 777 is nothing but 777 3d model with default 747 avionics and flight model. They didn't even bothered to fix the 747 name in the FMC or correct number of engines.

After being away from gaming in general for a while I jumped back in to MSFS, had to re-install because (of course) updates did not worked for some reason.
After getting everything working and making sure it works I jumped in and treated myself with PMDG Douglas DC-6 and what an piece of art this aircraft is!
If you want truly DCS/study level of aircraft this one will make you very happy. Exceptional quality and functionality all over.
The only addon that feels similar (that I own) is Corsair from Milviz.

Speaking of payware addons be VERY careful and actually look for any review you can out there. Sadly many planes on the marketplace are simply a poor converts from FSX that are painfully below even freeware projects for MSFS.
Especially be careful with CaptainSim - their latest 777 is nothing but 777 3d model with default 747 avionics and flight model. They didn't even bothered to fix the 747 name in the FMC or correct number of engines.

That 777, honestly, I don't even get how it doesn't violate the MS TOS.

BTW the hotfix made the sim work OK, I could even bump the scaling on Reverb G2 to 95% with manageable FPS. Oh, and the Baron G58 can be started too!

There's a small windows update today too, about 400MB for me, which from your screenshot it shows you already have.

Probably worth logging out of the Xbox app on the PC, maybe check it's up to date and then try logging in again. Maybe uninstall and reinstall any Xbox services.

I updated and had no issues (not helpful, I know), just completed a short flight, and while I've not seen that particular error before, if you say it's related to the Xbox app, then when I have had those problems, the things above usually resolve them.
Everything is back to normal now Faded. My patience isn't what it used to be. Downloaded the UK first so I can zoom around the Outer Skerries again (@Para Handy) in the Icon lol

Everything is back to normal now Faded. My patience isn't what it used to be. Downloaded the UK first so I can zoom around the Outer Skerries again (@Para Handy) in the Icon lol

Yep, having to re-install really should need to be as a last resort with a download of this size.

I too had to re-install after the initial SU5 update due to constant CTD's, something that a day of troubleshooting and following all the brilliant (sarcasm) 'This will fix your CTD's... Do it now and be amazed!' threads on the MSFS forums. I know people are trying to help, and at least most of the troubleshooting steps were fairly quick to do, but none of them fixed the game for me.

So after doing the re-install (124 GB, took 5 hours), I was careful not to recommend it as a sure way to fix the game. And I've still not downloaded all the world updates.

I guess it's still relatively early days for MSFS and Asobo, so I'll try not to get too cranky, and to give them credit, since the re-install and two hotfixes I have been able to up the graphics settings quite a bit without any loss of smoothness. It still doesn't feel as photorealistic as it did prior to the update, but it does look pretty damned good in places. Hopefully they will find a way to make it better going forward.

Most unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until the PC market (sort of) stabilizes in the next 12-24 months. My rent just went up by almost 10%. :(

Ehh, I was too early declaring the latest update a win.

Basically unplayable with the CTDs. The most annoying aspect is that it crashes out when at cruising altitude with VR off i.e. under light load.

Ehh, I was too early declaring the latest update a win.

Basically unplayable with the CTDs. The most annoying aspect is that it crashes out when at cruising altitude with VR off i.e. under light load.

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues.

I'm going to hesitate to suggest this since as I've said before it's a long, tedious fix, but a total uninstall and reinstall fixed an unplayable (CTD's after about 5 minutes of being in game) game for me.

I'm presuming you are aware of all the standard fixes for CTD's, clearing out your community folder before updates, checking there are no mods that are contributing to CTD's, and while the AI traffic issue is supposedly fixed I'm not sure whether live weather might contribute to some. Apologies if I seem to be trying to teach you to suck eggs...

My issues were none of the above as I ended up running with no mods, no AI traffic and no live weather. I don't know what caused my CTD issue, can only suspect it was a corrupted update. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled, and since since the two subsequent mini patches which happily didn't break anything, I am now running with the mods I use (I only use the Working Title mods, two of which are in my community folder and one of which is installed via the content manager), AI traffic, live weather, and I've flown a bunch of different aircraft in a bunch of different locations. My only issue is that now the game tends to spike my processor temps into the 90's which is a little warmer than before, but average temps are in the 60's and no throttling happening. I start flights in flat screen to program the FMS and then switch to VR to taxi and fly.

So, while I hesitate to recommend you spend 5 or more hours uninstalling and starting over, it did seem to work for me. 🤷‍♂️ Whatever, I hope you get it fixed, because it's actually playing pretty well when it doesn't crash.

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues.

I'm going to hesitate to suggest this since as I've said before it's a long, tedious fix, but a total uninstall and reinstall fixed an unplayable (CTD's after about 5 minutes of being in game) game for me.

I'm presuming you are aware of all the standard fixes for CTD's, clearing out your community folder before updates, checking there are no mods that are contributing to CTD's, and while the AI traffic issue is supposedly fixed I'm not sure whether live weather might contribute to some. Apologies if I seem to be trying to teach you to suck eggs...

My issues were none of the above as I ended up running with no mods, no AI traffic and no live weather. I don't know what caused my CTD issue, can only suspect it was a corrupted update. Since I uninstalled and reinstalled, and since since the two subsequent mini patches which happily didn't break anything, I am now running with the mods I use (I only use the Working Title mods, two of which are in my community folder and one of which is installed via the content manager), AI traffic, live weather, and I've flown a bunch of different aircraft in a bunch of different locations. My only issue is that now the game tends to spike my processor temps into the 90's which is a little warmer than before, but average temps are in the 60's and no throttling happening. I start flights in flat screen to program the FMS and then switch to VR to taxi and fly.

So, while I hesitate to recommend you spend 5 or more hours uninstalling and starting over, it did seem to work for me. 🤷‍♂️ Whatever, I hope you get it fixed, because it's actually playing pretty well when it doesn't crash.

I don't know anymore.

Now I had a long flight I had to quit as switching back to VR the headset leveling was not correct so I was unable to continue.
And mid-flight it decided to be mainthread limited and 15 fps even on monitor while my CPU was only 30% loaded. GPU was also 30% loaded at half the max clockspeeds.

I will reinstall at one point, but this is really a joke. I mean I was OK with all the bugs and issues, as I had at times good flights - since SU5 dropped I had one short flight I was able to finish normally, the rest was a bugfest and/or CTD.

I don't know anymore.

Now I had a long flight I had to quit as switching back to VR the headset leveling was not correct so I was unable to continue.
And mid-flight it decided to be mainthread limited and 15 fps even on monitor while my CPU was only 30% loaded. GPU was also 30% loaded at half the max clockspeeds.

I will reinstall at one point, but this is really a joke. I mean I was OK with all the bugs and issues, as I had at times good flights - since SU5 dropped I had one short flight I was able to finish normally, the rest was a bugfest and/or CTD.

Yep, SU5 was not their greatest moment. I have found that switching back and forth between flatscreen and VR (other than for my initial flatscreen to program and VR to fly) has always had a detrimental effect on the performance of the game, and oftentimes caused temperatures to spike horribly, so I have avoided doing that, and that was the case also before SU5.

But the good news is that for me at least now I am getting really pretty good performance - have been able to up VR graphics settings to high where before they were medium or low without a noticeable performance hit, so hopefully if they are able to restore the quality of the scenery to where it was before (IMO it's still a bit below where it was) it'll be great fun to fly again.

Good luck with your reinstall if / when you choose to do it and I hope it resolves your issues. It's a daunting prospect unfortunately, even with a good internet connection.

I wish I could be playing this, but my old box can't deal with it.

Maybe in two years...

Fingers crossed for you, but if it's any consolation, ED : O on my rig is a total stutterfest in VR, and that's out in the black as I've taken off exploring to try and get myself set up with all the on foot stuff - have zero interest in FPS gameplay.

Don't these people realize gaming should be fun, not a struggle! :LOL:

Fingers crossed for you, but if it's any consolation, ED : O on my rig is a total stutterfest in VR, and that's out in the black as I've taken off exploring to try and get myself set up with all the on foot stuff - have zero interest in FPS gameplay.

Unfortunately, it would seem not, for all too many game companies. :(

Yep, SU5 was not their greatest moment. I have found that switching back and forth between flatscreen and VR (other than for my initial flatscreen to program and VR to fly) has always had a detrimental effect on the performance of the game, and oftentimes caused temperatures to spike horribly, so I have avoided doing that, and that was the case also before SU5.

But the good news is that for me at least now I am getting really pretty good performance - have been able to up VR graphics settings to high where before they were medium or low without a noticeable performance hit, so hopefully if they are able to restore the quality of the scenery to where it was before (IMO it's still a bit below where it was) it'll be great fun to fly again.

Good luck with your reinstall if / when you choose to do it and I hope it resolves your issues. It's a daunting prospect unfortunately, even with a good internet connection.

Thsnks , done with a reinstall, will do a test flight soon! I hope moving it to an m.2 from a standard SSD will help.

BTW I always used external view for swapping between VR/monitor, the CPU is far less loaded without the instruments. Unfirtunately it is inevitable on long flights as the headset moves into sleep mode...

Edit: Done a Zürich-Madrid flight with A320 FBW with no other addon, and it was finally a smooth experience apart:
  • ATC constantly misjudging my altitude
  • AP suddely deciding to veer off course upon approach towards a mountain (i.e. had to land manually)
  • on exit to main menu and monitor the font size in the main menu went 2x smaller

Last edited:
Edit: Done a Zürich-Madrid flight with A320 FBW with no other addon, and it was finally a smooth experience apart:
  • ATC constantly misjudging my altitude
  • AP suddely deciding to veer off course upon approach towards a mountain (i.e. had to land manually)
  • on exit to main menu and monitor the font size in the main menu went 2x smaller

Glad you had a (mostly) smooth experience finally. Shouldn't have to re-install, but... it does seem to help. 🤷‍♀️

I think SU5 knackered people's installs rather than being an especially buggy update in itself (which has been largely fixed anyway through hotfixes, but that won't solve an already broken install). That's the impression I get, reading around.

I am happy to report that here the autopilot (without any manual intervention whatsoever) is still broken, so I can still crash into mountains or land 10 miles from the runway and it tries to go the remaining distance on the ground (kinda). I was slightly concerned that they'd fixed that hilarious bug with this update, as some kind of kiosk mode for the Xbox version in stores. But, no. :)

At some point, I will clear some space on my desk and break out the HOTAS again so I can do a proper flight.

I did a full re-install after SU5 was causing weird and inconsistent issues, not always CTD but just glitches.

I have a clean install now, saved off to an external drive to go back to if things go 'wobbly' again. Running fine, FBW A320 now working again. I bought the DC6 from PMDG - not cheap but WOW! Fantastic quality.

Also still amazed by the quality of the graphics in this title, here's one from June...
F-15-Sunset.jpg

Top Bottom