My Proposal For a Base Building Gameplay Mechanic

Seriously? Horizons will last two years to fully deploy, full of broken stuff like multicrew. Dont get me wrong but.. i would suggest to keep your ideas for yourself lol.

I'd be down for Base Building if only it was small, no money making potential, one of each size pad. Limited defenses and services. Just make it a place where you can store ships and modules. Do repairs and gas up/refill ammo.

It is the only way to keep it fair and yet fun.

I'd be down for Base Building if only it was small, no money making potential, one of each size pad. Limited defenses and services. Just make it a place where you can store ships and modules. Do repairs and gas up/refill ammo.

It is the only way to keep it fair and yet fun.

Aye exactly, a personal hub, a personal set down when you find a corner of the galaxy one wishes to simply call... home.

Not a bad idea, but how is this any different from storing all of your ships on a planetary installation and working the BGS for the faction that owns it?
Then again I have a space station with my Commander name on it so I don't really care :D

Not a bad idea, but how is this any different from storing all of your ships on a planetary installation and working the BGS for the faction that owns it?
Then again I have a space station with my Commander name on it so I don't really care :D

It's no genuine difference at all, apart from the fact that you'd have designed it, so it's yours. I love the idea.
As already mentioned, FD already have the tech from Rollercoaster, so surely it can't be that hard to do.

I can see this working as bases that require a group of players and activity to maintain, but player housing in MMOs is usually just an exercise in pointless Feng Shui hideaway noodling and micro-transactions (cf. SWTOR). They can quickly become a drain on development resources that are better applied to other aspects of the game.

1-xcom330.PNG

I can't say I'm not interested in it as a general concept. I've been playing Fallout 4 for a month now and haven't even gone to Diamond City yet, but all of my settlers are armed and armoured and most with walled and turreted fortress homes. Building stuff in games is cool. Having a place you've literally built from nothing is cool.

I'm not really keen on developing any business-mogul style enterprises here though; Elite for me should keep its larger focus on the spaceshipping part of the game, and leave the financial empire building to games that already do that part waaay better. I'm not interested in building a passive-income generator. A pirate base in an asteroid, sure. That's very spacepiloty, a place to return to with your ill-gotten gains and feed your spacefish. IDW the ill-gotten gains to be made by the game itself however, with no space piloting on my part involved.

In terms of PVP fitan, I think the "inflatable bases" concept would be much better than anything permanent. Keep them alive with a rudimentary maintenance arrangement so they retain their permanence as long as they retain their actual usage. If they were already considered a disposable asset, nobody will cry when they get blown away or abandoned because it wasn't their special home with their spacefish inside.

They could be deployed practically anywhere in space or dirtside (cause really we do have stupid amounts of physical space to work with), fought over and destroyed (with the appropriate amount of sensor and scanning mechanics applied) and be easily removed if they end up abandoned. Having deployable, destructable, disposable assets allows all the desired territorial cutthroat warring between factions without too much permanent clutter remaining once the dust settles. It also allows for out-bubble explorers to set up shop in the middle of nowhere if they really need to without it becoming a permanent gas station, so to speak. Maintaining a selection of deep-black inflatables should be a major game career if it were even possible, rather than a single deployment forever lessening the effort of everyone's journey.

Doesn't really make sense for this game. Our ships are our bases, such as they are, and we are Commanders in the Pilots Federation, not settling pilgrims tied to common worldly concerns. We're "spacers" in this game.

I can understand that it's a thing some people want, but it doesn't seem like a fitting thing for this game for what this game is. Some of you may want to look into something like the game Space Engineers if that's the sort of game you're after.

Customizing our ship interiors and functions and being able to walk around them might be kind of cool though.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Hell yeah, count me in. Base building isn’t AFK to win; if you’ve got enough dosh to pull it off, you’ve already won.

It's a great idea, but technologically not possible. ED works with instancing on a peer-to-peer network; for base building you'd have to have the galaxy on a central single-instance server like e.g. EVE Online has. Which costs money to run, which means monthly subscription fees.

It's a great idea, but technologically not possible. ED works with instancing on a peer-to-peer network; for base building you'd have to have the galaxy on a central single-instance server like e.g. EVE Online has. Which costs money to run, which means monthly subscription fees.

I think they can still technically store some assets and distribute them to players as needed. Might be a bit of a mess, but still technically doable. Whether viable or not is another issue.

Last edited:
I think they can still technically store some assets and distribute them to players as needed. Might be a bit of a mess, but still technically doable. Whether viable or not is another issue.

Nope. Imagine you build a base somewhere. How does it upload back to the galaxy model to download to other players so they can see it? And then anyone else who sees it needs to be in the same instance as yourself lest your base gets visited/attacked/raided by invisible 'ghost' ships.

It's not doable.

Nope. Imagine you build a base somewhere. How does it upload back to the galaxy model to download to other players so they can see it? And then anyone else who sees it needs to be in the same instance as yourself lest your base gets visited/attacked/raided by invisible 'ghost' ships.

It's not doable.

Of course it's doable.
How do you think all those planetary bases and fixed installations like Dav's Hope work?

Of course it's doable.
How do you think all those planetary bases and fixed installations like Dav's Hope work?

It reminds me of another discussion some time ago where someone was claiming timed ship transfers weren't doable and that's why we had to have instant ship transfers. Apparently time stamps can be saved server-side and queried after all, much to that person's dismay. :)

The game obviously isn't pure headless P2P, but I think the P2P aspects of it might confuse some people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom