Newcomer / Intro My Return to ED ......

I've been trying to put together a list of what everything that I'm familiar with, is called in ED.
Mainly because of my poor memory, I can then refer to my list when I can't remember what something is called.
Like talking about ......... err ........ what's are they called .......... those things that you land on rather than in ......... where's my bloody list ! ........ err ........ OUTPOSTS ! ;)
I have a list of things in the Universe already, which I've listed here before:

Universe
Galaxies
Milky Way (our Galaxy)
Systems
Solar System (our System)
Stars
Sun or Sol (our Star)
Planets
Earth (our Planet)

and that works fine, but then there are all the other "things" we come across like ..... yes .... Outposts ;), Stations, Navigation Beacons, that super fast speed we go to to get to other Systems called ......... err ........ HYPERSPACE .......phew! etc. And in particular, a new one the other day: Installations.
So I thought I'd put my draft list down here for others to agree/disagree with, comment on, etc.
I say again, it's a DRAFT list and, at the moment in no particular order ....... just generated as the names came to me.
In some cases, I've put down what I think the name means. Well, to me anyway.
IMPORTANT: It doesn't try and include everything! It only includes the things I've come across so far in my playing of ED-H ! (eg: There are no weapons, I fly unarmed) ;)
Here goes (I've included some of the names in the list above for completeness):

Universe
Galaxy
(just one in ED, the Milky Way)
Stars
Planets
(landable and non-landable)
Systems (made up of a Star or Stars, together with or without numerous Planets, for example, SOL)
Objects (any items within the Galaxy, for example, a Station or a Planet)
Bodies (any non-manufactured Object, for example, a Planet)
Man-made Objects (any manufactured Object, for example, an Outpost or a Nav. Beacon)
Items (any Object or Man-made Object)
Stations (Dockable space Man-made Objects with internal ship access incl. Hangers)
...three types:
......- Coriolis (regular type)
......- Orbis (large station with circular ring)
......- Ocellus (large station with bulbous front and no circular ring)
Outposts (Dockable space Man-made Objects with no internal ship access other than Hangers)
Installations (non Dockable space Man-made Objects included for background effect only)
Bases (Built on Planets, Man-made Objects Dockable and non-Dockable)
Carriers (Very large Mega ships)
Navigation Beacons
Asteroid Belts
Asteroids
SuperCruise
(a speed used to move around any System)
SuperCruise Assist
HyperSpace
(a means of moving between Systems)
Speed Boost
Docking
Fire Groups
Factions
Fuel Scoop
Heatsink
Heatsink Launchers
Frame Ship Drive
Scanners

...common types:
......- Discovery (DS)
......- Detailed Surface (DSS)
......- Full Spectrum System (FSS)
......- Composition (CS)
......- Data Link (DLS)
NPCs (non-player characters or Installations not controller by a player)

WOW! Bigger than I thought, and there will be others. Please feel free to respond. Thank you.

Last edited:
I've been trying to put together a list of what everything that I'm familiar with, is called in ED.
Mainly because of my poor memory, I can then refer to my list when I can't remember what something is called.
Like talking about ......... err ........ what's are they called .......... those things that you land on rather than in ......... where's my bloody list ! ........ err ........ OUTPOSTS ! ;)
I have a list of things in the Universe already, which I've listed here before:

Universe
Galaxies
Milky Way (our Galaxy)
Systems
Solar System (our System)
Stars
Sun or Sol (our Star)
Planets
Earth (our Planet)

and that works fine, but then there are all the other "things" we come across like ..... yes .... Outposts ;), Stations, Navigation Beacons, that super fast speed we go to to get to other Systems called ......... err ........ HYPERSPACE .......phew! etc. And in particular, a new one the other day: Installations.
So I thought I'd put my draft list down here for others to agree/disagree with, comment on, etc.
I say again, it's a DRAFT list and, at the moment in no particular order ....... just generated as the names came to me.
In some cases, I've put down what I think the name means. Well, to me anyway.
IMPORTANT: It doesn't try and include everything! It only includes the things I've come across so far in my playing of ED-H ! (eg: There are no weapons, I fly unarmed) ;)
Here goes (I've included some of the names in the list above for completeness):

Universe
Galaxy
(just one in ED, the Milky Way)
Stars
Planets
(landable and non-landable)
Systems (made up of a Star or Stars, together with or without numerous Planets, for example, SOL)
Objects (any items within the Galaxy, for example, a Station or a Planet)
Bodies (any non-manufactured Object, for example, a Planet)
Man-made Objects (any manufactured Object, for example, an Outpost or a Nav. Beacon)
Items (any Object or Man-made Object)
Stations (Dockable space Man-made Objects with internal ship access incl. Hangers)
...three types:
......- Coriolis (regular type)
......- Orbis (large station with circular ring)
......- Ocellus (large station with bulbous front and no circular ring)
Outposts (Dockable space Man-made Objects with no internal ship access other than Hangers)
Installations (non Dockable space Man-made Objects included for background effect only)
Bases (Built on Planets, Man-made Objects Dockable and non-Dockable)
Carriers (Very large Mega ships)
Navigation Beacons
Asteroid Belts
Asteroids
SuperCruise
(a speed used to move around any System)
SuperCruise Assist
HyperSpace
(a means of moving between Systems)
Speed Boost
Docking
Fire Groups
Factions
Fuel Scoop
Heatsink
Heatsink Launchers
Frame Ship Drive
Scanners

...common types:
......- Discovery (DS)
......- Detailed Surface (DSS)
......- Full Spectrum System (FSS)
......- Composition (CS)
......- Data Link (DLS)
NPCs (non-player characters or Installations not controller by a player)

WOW! Bigger than I thought, and there will be others. Please feel free to respond. Thank you.
Now in alphabetical order as an attachment. ;) Updated 03/12/2021

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I just found this place 😲 :
It wasn't shown on the System Map, it was just listed on the Nav. Panel. And I haven't even DSS'd any of the Planets yet ! Wonder if I can land ....... ?
Oh I love Ed-H ;) Always something new ......... :giggle:(y)
View attachment 276611
You can use Data Link Scanner to scan this installation. It will reveal some external modules.

If you then fit Recon Limpet Controller you can hack the data arrays and antennas.

Be on the lookout though, as a pirate attack may happen :)

You can use Data Link Scanner to scan this installation. It will reveal some external modules.

If you then fit Recon Limpet Controller you can hack the data arrays and antennas.

Well I didnt know that about Recon Limpets! Thanks RootsRat!
Be aware that hacking into other peoples data arrays etc might be considered illegal if you get seen doing it you could get a fine or a bounty to deal with.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Be aware that hacking into other peoples data arrays etc might be considered illegal if you get seen doing it you could get a fine or a bounty to deal with.
Tru dat!

I thought it was kinda obvious from the definition of "hacking" though :D

Thanks.
I've been introduced to Background Simulation (BGS) following my interest in "Installations" as I'm know calling them.
My definition of an "Installation" is a "Non-Dockable, Man-made Object include for background effect only, and not part of ED's primary focus."
As of yet, Limpets are something I've yet to encounter, but I am surprised that there maybe more to Installations that I had expected.

Last edited:
I assume hacking into "Installations" would not be considered "other peoples data array" as there are non player controlled or owned ?
In fact they are more like an NPC ?

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I assume hacking into "Installations" would not be considered "other peoples data array" as there are non player controlled or owned ?
In fact they are more like an NPC ?
No, it is still an illegal actions. When it comes to law in Elite, there is no difftrentiation. Law is law. Criminal activity is the same, regardless of who owns the asset.

No, it is still an illegal actions. When it comes to law in Elite, there is no difftrentiation. Law is law. Criminal activity is the same, regardless of who owns the asset.
Right ....... well, that makes me even more less likely to do anything other than look at them. ;)

If you commit what is considered a crime in one system, you can become "wanted" in that system, but not other systems. The fine is a bounty on your head until you pay it or a bounty hunter gets you.
Now, if you commit a crime in one system - hacking an installation data port - in order to get data on the location of a pirate or terrorist you have taken a mission to assassinate, you will be wanted in that system until the fine is paid. Is this criminal act justified in the context of hunting down a pirate/terrorist? Elite has always liked to present it's players with morale dilemmas from the very beginning in 1983/84.

If you commit what is considered a crime in one system, you can become "wanted" in that system, but not other systems. The fine is a bounty on your head until you pay it or a bounty hunter gets you.
Now, if you commit a crime in one system - hacking an installation data port - in order to get data on the location of a pirate or terrorist you have taken a mission to assassinate, you will be wanted in that system until the fine is paid. Is this criminal act justified in the context of hunting down a pirate/terrorist? Elite has always liked to present it's players with morale dilemmas from the very beginning in 1983/84.
Interesting ........ thanks

Top Bottom