Needs it's own thread... RDR2 release date on PC

Kind of confused about crime and bounties: I did a mission that involved shooting the heck out of a bunch of lawmen in the middle of a town. I was advised to put on my mask before committing any crimes, which I did, but I still managed to rack up a huge bounty and wanted status. What did I do wrong?

I wondered this also, but I think the bandana is just to slow down recognition without actually removing it. If you're standing around in a populated area shooting at will (poor Will), then a bandana isn't going to save you. Someone's going to identify you. 🤷‍♀️

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Have to say...I've come around to RDR2. Can't get enough of it. We'll see if I have the stamina to actually complete the main story or not, but for now I'm quite happy messing around and taking it at my own pace.

Like jasonbarron I'm getting into the hunting now and quite enjoying it. Love the characters and soundtrack and world that Rockstar have made. I still am terrible at combat (just got murdered by some cougars) but damn it's a good game.

Have to say...I've come around to RDR2. Can't get enough of it. We'll see if I have the stamina to actually complete the main story or not, but for now I'm quite happy messing around and taking it at my own pace.

Like jasonbarron I'm getting into the hunting now and quite enjoying it. Love the characters and soundtrack and world that Rockstar have made. I still am terrible at combat (just got murdered by some cougars) but damn it's a good game.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I tend to look at the story missions as a fun break from the main game and an opportunity to unlock cool perks and tools. The genius of the hunting aspect is how fully it will draw the player into the world, if the player is willing. The difference between stalking and hunting a buffalo with a high a powered rifle, and say a raven, or a squirrel, is astonishing. The way it sort of slows you down and makes you analyse every aspect of your surroundings while you look for your prey and then begin the stalk is nothing short of remarkable. I've never played a game before where I felt so drawn into the illusion of a living, breathing world. The sheer amount love the dev's have for the subject matter is unparalleled.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I tend to look at the story missions as a fun break from the main game and an opportunity to unlock cool perks and tools. The genius of the hunting aspect is how fully it will draw the player into the world, if the player is willing. The difference between stalking and hunting a buffalo with a high a powered rifle, and say a raven, or a squirrel, is astonishing. The way it sort of slows you down and makes you analyse every aspect of your surroundings while you look for your prey and then begin the stalk is nothing short of remarkable. I've never played a game before where I felt so drawn into the illusion of a living, breathing world. The sheer amount love the dev's have for the subject matter is unparalleled.

This is why I get utterly confused when people say that RDR2 "isn't an RPG".

Um... you are roleplaying a gunslinger in late 19th century US. The world they've created for you to do this in is absolute, and practically every detail both large & small has been thought of... but how you interpret and use that world is completely up to you.

For that reason, it's about the most perfect single-player RPG that's ever been made. It's likely that until RDR3 or GTA VI comes along, it'll stay that way too.

This is why I get utterly confused when people say that RDR2 "isn't an RPG".

Um... you are roleplaying a gunslinger in late 19th century US. The world they've created for you to do this in is absolute, and practically every detail both large & small has been thought of... but how you interpret and use that world is completely up to you.

For that reason, it's about the most perfect single-player RPG that's ever been made. It's likely that until RDR3 or GTA VI comes along, it'll stay that way too.
I agree with your view on this, but I think what people are referring to when they make that claim is "stat jiggering." I'll take Rockstar's system any day of the week, though, and I totally agree about RDR3 & GTAVI; nothing else on the horizon even coming close with the slimmest possible exception to Cyberpunk.

I agree with your view on this, but I think what people are referring to when they make that claim is "stat jiggering." I'll take Rockstar's system any day of the week, though, and I totally agree about RDR3 & GTAVI; nothing else on the horizon even coming close with the slimmest possible exception to Cyberpunk.

Is that really the reason? Stats only exist in most pen and paper RPGs because they don't have a computer to arbitrate the game world and your character within it. So if so, that is a stupid reason. :rolleyes:

Early part of the 20th century, huh? You have a pre-release version of RDR3, you are Commander Thrust from Bradford in disguise, and I claim my $5. ;)
1907 I think it said it was. Got a ranch and working hard. Well the wife and boy, plus old whathisname are working hard. I'm out roaming around killing folk..
The modern age is coming, well in the east it is, out west it's still wild and dangerous.
:)

Edit: when I say killing folk, I mean bounty hunting. Some bystanders get in the way every now and then, so I keep paying my own bounties. Most of the time, I'm a wanted man, hunting other wanted men.. :/

Last edited:
[Q
1907 I think it said it was. Got a ranch and working hard. Well the wife and boy, plus old whathisname are working hard. I'm out roaming around killing folk..
The modern age is coming, well in the east it is, out west it's still wild and dangerous.
:)

Edit: when I say killing folk, I mean bounty hunting. Some bystanders get in the way every now and then, so I keep paying my own bounties. Most of the time, I'm a wanted man, hunting other wanted men.. :/
That's how good this game is, when you wish that it really was your life. My wife caught me saddling her horse the other day and asked where I was going with him...I told her "To town to pick up some bounties and shoot some whisky, darlin'." Silly woman thought I was joking.

Some of the NPCs seem rather impatient. Two encounters come to mind, a man bitten by a snake and a woman trapped under a dead horse, in both cases just after I had helped them they wouldn't wait another minute or two for my horse to get to the scene and hobbled off back to town.

Other odd things include finding a disembodied leg, it didn't actually lead to anything and the blood stains suggest it was the result of an animal attack on some poor unfortunate.
Then there was the time I had just killed a pronghorn and stumbled across a stage coach robbery. I was too late to save the driver but killed the two outlaws. As it happened shortly after I had unlocked the wagon fence I decided to try and profit from it. Unfortunately I ran into another pair of outlaws.. I I ran one over and shot the horse from under the other one. I then struggled to get the coach in the barn. I presume it was the surviving outlaw that caught up to me and started shooting, so I killed him. This lead to a murder charge and the imminent approach of the law. I managed to get the coach into the barn just as the law arrived. Unfortunately I failed to escape.

I did once foil some O'Driscolls robbing someone, but I rather fear I killed the victim too. No one reported it so all was good.

Some of the NPCs seem rather impatient. Two encounters come to mind, a man bitten by a snake and a woman trapped under a dead horse, in both cases just after I had helped them they wouldn't wait another minute or two for my horse to get to the scene and hobbled off back to town.

Other odd things include finding a disembodied leg, it didn't actually lead to anything and the blood stains suggest it was the result of an animal attack on some poor unfortunate.
Then there was the time I had just killed a pronghorn and stumbled across a stage coach robbery. I was too late to save the driver but killed the two outlaws. As it happened shortly after I had unlocked the wagon fence I decided to try and profit from it. Unfortunately I ran into another pair of outlaws.. I I ran one over and shot the horse from under the other one. I then struggled to get the coach in the barn. I presume it was the surviving outlaw that caught up to me and started shooting, so I killed him. This lead to a murder charge and the imminent approach of the law. I managed to get the coach into the barn just as the law arrived. Unfortunately I failed to escape.

I did once foil some O'Driscolls robbing someone, but I rather fear I killed the victim too. No one reported it so all was good.
The disembodied leg near Valentine...look closer at the rail bridge, under it in fact. :)

The disembodied leg near Valentine...look closer at the rail bridge, under it in fact. :)
I found the blood trail right away at the beginning of the chapter, and the body parts, but it wasn't until recently after I'd spent a gazzilion hours learning to hunt and using my senses correctly that I actually figured out that there was more to that.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I tamed the wild Arabian you can find on the western bank of the big lake in the north west of the map!

What is the best way of playing it? Classic R* 3rd person with semi-auto aim, or first person manual aim?
I am enjoying the latter in GTAV*, but somehow I feel the classic 3rd person provides a lot additional detail and that's how it is meant to be played.

*Stunning how great that game still is by today's standards.

What is the best way of playing it? Classic R* 3rd person with semi-auto aim, or first person manual aim?
I am enjoying the latter in GTAV*, but somehow I feel the classic 3rd person provides a lot additional detail and that's how it is meant to be played.

*Stunning how great that game still is by today's standards.
GTAV was hands down the best open world ever created until RDR2 came along. And I'm not really sure that RDR2 beats it, actually, but more precisely rises to the same level of excellence.

Top Bottom