Needs it's own thread... RDR2 release date on PC

How much RAM are you folks using for RDR2? I see it recommends 32 GB for the high end, but I'm guessing most of us "only" have 16 GB.

16GB ram + a 1070 with 8GB, neither comes really close to being used to the max. The CPU (i5 7500) frequently jumps to 100% with stutters and freezes.

So RDR2 is CPU bound? Huh...
No, it's not. It's just really badly optimized.
Watch Gamers Nexus' or Hardware Unboxed's videos about CPUs in RDR2.

What happens is that the game throws a 100% load on the CPU to a point where it hits the Engine FPS cap (I think it's something like 128FPS or so - yes, it's not the most well-written engine in the world) when it hits the cap, it simply stops and throttles the CPU to 0%, hence the stutter. Then it repeats the process. It only does that with certain CPUs.
The workaround is to max out the graphics beyond the point you'd normally do for your particular GPU and bind the game by GPU really hard and it kind of stops doing that.
It's also the reason why the game runs (seemingly) better on mid tier GPUs than on high-end.
Though this workaround doesn't always work - the engine FPS are not the rendered FPS, it's the FPS CPU sends to GPU to render.

IMO they're going to have to work on this. Owners of 2080Tis will probably not be happy with running the game (however graphically good it looks) at 60-70FPS with stutter dips to 20 (and with some CPUs downright freezes to 0FPS)

TL/DR It's a crap port. Wait with the purchase.

Last edited:
No, it's not. It's just really badly optimized.
Watch Gamers Nexus' or Hardware Unboxed's videos about CPUs in RDR2.

What happens is that the game throws a 100% load on the CPU to a point where it hits the Engine FPS cap (I think it's something like 128FPS or so - yes, it's not the most well-written engine in the world) when it hits the cap, it simply stops and throttles the CPU to 0%, hence the stutter. Then it repeats the process. It only does that with certain CPUs.
The workaround is to max out the graphics beyond the point you'd normally do for your particular GPU and bind the game by GPU really hard and it kind of stops doing that.
It's also the reason why the game runs (seemingly) better on mid tier GPUs than on high-end.
Though this workaround doesn't always work - the engine FPS are not the rendered FPS, it's the FPS CPU sends to GPU to render.

IMO they're going to have to work on this. Owners of 2080Tis will probably not be happy with running the game (however graphically good it looks) at 60-70FPS with stutter dips to 20 (and with some CPUs downright freezes to 0FPS)

TL/DR It's a crap port. Wait with the purchase.

While GN did mention the issue, I think the cap was said to be around 150 fps, way beyond of what you would aim for with the graphics settings.

However, CPUs with 6 or fewer threads do suffer from brutal stutters, like freezing for seconds.

While GN did mention the issue, I think the cap was said to be around 150 fps, way beyond of what you would aim for with the graphics settings.

However, CPUs with 6 or fewer threads do suffer from brutal stutters, like freezing for seconds.
Again - Engine FPS is not the same FPS you see on the monitor. The CPU renders hundreds of frames and sends them to the GPU, which then renders as many of them as it can at as regular intervals as it can. Usually these two components talk to each other and optimize the frames, but RDR2 engine doesn't do that. Instead, when it hits its artificial cap it simply stops rendering frames and waits for "something" to start rendering again.

That sucks that so many people are having problems with it. I won't have time to actually play it myself for a few months, so hopefully they'll have everything ironed out by then.

Meanwhile...back at the ranch...

And some others...
sfgYbJu.jpg

48xHCRV.png

cNNUKnH.jpg

KrI1rQ1.png

SFtNN5q.png

S8jJuN2.jpg

I really sympathise with all the folks having issues and not being able to enjoy the experience of RDR2...strangely, for me and among the friends I have with a variety of PC builds, it's been running fine with absolutely none of the reported issues since the initial teething problems and subsequent patch.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I never had any of that...frustrating to say the least. All I did was allow an exception in my firewall settings. The game runs in either Vulkan or DX12 with no perceptible difference between the two.

Certainly got me stumped with the issues that are appearing. For looking at a common denominator...a lot of the folks having issues bought their copy via Epic although the R* launcher seems to be the source and not some (albeit) pretty useless and completely superfluous third party game launcher-launcher.

None of my friends have had issues after the recent patch...besides the initial firewall settings. Their machines vary from i5's and 1060's to latest gen i7's with 2080ti's with a plethora of motherboards and RAM configurations (All Intel based), some run from SSD's (either M.2's, SATA or NVMe's) some from HDD's and hybrids, all with no issues. We all bought direct from R* and downloaded via their launcher.

Needless to say, R* need to fix it if they haven't already...

Last edited:
My only issue was actually to launch the game. Did every single thing that was mentioned with no avail.
Randomly I scrolled upon random post on reddit RD2 issue megatopic that someone got the game running... by unplugging his headphones.
I did i and it worked. Game launched and running on High settings. Why? I don't know!
Anyway, I followed this clue and disabled "“Windows Sonic for Headphones" option in my sorround audio settings panel in Wind 10 so I don't have to unplug cable every time I want to play the game.

Somebody with actual reddit account can post above as a potential fix for others - cant be bothered to do reddit atm.

Several days into RDR2 and my thoughts are: It's annoying to have the old generation ship shenanigans going on in Elite while RDR2 is still a bit of a shiny bauble. After all I only have a certain amount of hours per day I can play games, so I look at the HOTAS, think about plugging it in, and then I think, hmmm. Cowboys. Guns. Gorgeous sunsets and misty mornings.

But then I actually play, and although it is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship, I do find the button-reminder-pressing (is it gonna be E or R or F or WHAT??), the forced, glacial pace of walking around in camp or buildings, and the micromanagement mechanics of weapons and clothes really quite annoying!

I mean, the number of times I'm off my horse, get ambushed and - What? Where's my trusty Lancaster Repeater? Oh, it's on the flipping horse, and all I got is a pistol and a sawn off... Dead. Again.

Having said all that, I still have that "Is it time to play yet" frission of excitement. I'm thinking that I'll go full rogue soon, just nicking every plush carriage I see, and robbing the poor denizens. Anyone want to dissuade me?

Last point, re performance, stability etc. I have had one CTD, but other than that it's been rock stable, running at 54fps (according the the Nvidia Experience overlay), and yes, you 120fps-ers are probably lol-ing at my feeble framrate, but apart from the occasional ghosting effects, it still plays fine and looks gorgeous.

o7 / YeeHaw Pardners

After playing more I tend to agree here Jakester, sometimes game depth feels way too much and I also many times went in to combat forgetting that my new upgraded rifle is on the dang horse! Also getting through the looting animation - open the chest, loot the item X Y Z, close (!) the chest, yeah the novelty runs out pretty quick. It feels clunky by design but overall its pretty incredible experience.

Top Bottom