New Client broken - no Horizons?

PC owner here. Win 7. Updated the new launcher in short order "non steam user" "LP owner", logged into horizon build and started playing.
No problems here. What a bummer.

Paige Harvey

Community Manager
Commanders, we're aware that some of you are unable to launch Elite Dangerous via Steam due to an "Exception Initialising Application" error. Our team are actively investigating and we hope to update you soon with more information. Thank you for your patience at this time.

Try this with steam: Hit play, on the steam pop up select Elite Dangerous: Horizons instead of just Elite: Dangerous and click play. The launcher loading up then does not require an update that never comes on my side. Maybe it will work for others.

Try this with steam: Hit play, on the steam pop up select Elite Dangerous: Horizons instead of just Elite: Dangerous and click play. The launcher loading up then does not require an update that never comes on my side. Maybe it will work for others.

I have horizons and select this option anyway. Same problem for me though. On both options.

still broken, not a surprise to me though, considering that Orca that's been parked on my assigned landing pad since 2016 I'm actually more stunned that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.

Found where the EDLauncher.exe was located, shortcut to desktop created, tested, works. Looks like whatever "update" was sent to Steam broke that link to the launcher. Will use the shortcut until FD gets the correction over to Steam. Shows what happens when you attempt to modify the universe; all it takes is ONE LITTLE CHANGE and time ends up going backwards, all life stops instantaneously, and every atom in your body explodes at the speed of light. Conclusion: Don't cross the streams.

FYI, this is it:
and after the program closed, try "\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\EDLaunch.exe" .. it worked for me.

Just create the shortcut to that executable. That's what Steam can't seem to find at the moment.

Last edited:
Commanders, we're aware that some of you are unable to launch Elite Dangerous via Steam due to an "Exception Initialising Application" error. Our team are actively investigating and we hope to update you soon with more information. Thank you for your patience at this time.
I am not one with this problem, but I'd like to point out that if this forum had a function that would highlight dev posts and let us find them in the thread, this whole thread could have been 8 pages shorter.

UPDATE: Steam just dropped a really small update and now the launcher works again.
One issue: It no longer asks for my password once the launcher comes up. For security reasons I always prefer that it ask for this. How do I undo the "already-logged you in" feature?

Just had to install new client and have the old orange launcher with no Horizons option. Bug or have I got an issue?
🍿

Seems to have been fixed now.🕹
Nope. Fun update. Premium beta backer here. Just been forced to update launcher both on Steam and off. Off Steam I can launch Horizons, but with faulty launcher (http 404 error):

And I am unable to launch from steam at all:

Last edited:
Top Bottom