"New Computer Designs Announced"

giphy.gif

Just this...

PS. naysayers you can't take the ground from me... :D

Maybe, isn't that easier by a standard menu though?

Not if they intend for us to get out of our ships in the future. It would not just be codex, it could end up being a wearable hacking device, comms terminal and a whole host of different things if they intend to add space legs in the future.

I expect it to be for the codex personally to begin with but it will be future proofed if we can leave out ships.

Last edited:
Just a reminder Commanders, Remember that Awesome looking birthday present you got as a kid. You just knew it had to be the best toy EVER made by human kind. You open it up and it was ......... A lunch box you would not be caught dead using. ( Sub socks, ugly shirt, sweater you get the pic)

I don't wanna pee in your cornflakes but it may be a good idea to keep both feet on the ground, You don't have as far to fall when they release the tetris game to play while flying to Hutton.

Space legs would be awesome but I aint a believer yet.

Caliber_az

That's certainly interesting! Definitely a peek at what's to come in-game. And I agree that this could be the necessary menu replacement for Space Legs Necks.

Okay, I found a way out of my misery:

What if the hypothetical new display method will replace the current "disconnected" galaxy/system map?

People have complained for quite a while now that this separate screen breaks their immersion.
Maybe FDev have found a way to intigrate it better into the game world?
(Personnaly, I don't mind - and I play in VR.)

Okay, I found a way out of my misery:

What if the hypothetical new display method will replace the current "disconnected" galaxy/system map?

People have complained for quite a while now that this separate screen breaks their immersion.
Maybe FDev have found a way to intigrate it better into the game world?
(Personnaly, I don't mind - and I play in VR.)

That would be cool too. How about an orrery map, bookmarks, codex, blueprints, ship/module storage locations. Basically anything information based could reside in this personal computer which could then completely free up the ships UI for other ship based stuff such as scanning information, weapons information and so on as the ships UI is getting rather busy at the moment.

Just a reminder Commanders, Remember that Awesome looking birthday present you got as a kid. You just knew it had to be the best toy EVER made by human kind.

Emmmmm.....why?

Personally I am clamouring for something a bit exciting. However such approach is definitely ends up with disappointment :)

That would be cool too. How about an orrery map, bookmarks, codex, blueprints, ship/module storage locations. Basically anything information based could reside in this personal computer which could then completely free up the ships UI for other ship based stuff such as scanning information, weapons information and so on as the ships UI is getting rather busy at the moment.

As far as the ship goes .. the busier the menus, the better imo, as it gives the ship a complexity. I'm not sure the GalMap is as relevant if you're on foot, a Tricorder on the other hand ...

GalMap not the first feature I'd be looking for.

Last edited:
Hmm, I initially thought the Torc sounded like Star Citizen's wrist mounted holo - but actually it sounds more immersive. Please FD - make it so ;)

As far as the ship goes .. the busier the menus, the better imo, as it gives the ship a complexity. I'm not sure why the GalMap is very relevant IF you're on foot. Tricorder, on the other hand .....

It would still be used in ship and you may not be in your ship, but still want to plot a route somewhere from your location. You don't want to take a mission for example, get back to your ship, check where you are going then realise you don't want to go there and being forced to cancel said mission and then all of that was a waste.

Have all stuff like that based in your personal computer as it will be relevant to you wherever you are, then have a much better ship UI. Remember we are getting better scanning mechanics, better mining mechanics, all of that could free the UI up for better ship based UI with more complex ship based systems. Having an overloaded UI does not add complexity.

All I can see is a win win from that.

Straight out of left field here, but wouldn't it be nice if these new wearable devices not only showed a map, but a map of the planet you are on (in the SRV) and you could mark waypoints, locations and the such ……

Yes yes, I know, it isn't very FD like but you never never know.

Everyone calm down. This could be just fluff and doesnt have to mean anything.

Besides.. MOAR SRVs > spacelegs!!!!

Straight out of left field here, but wouldn't it be nice if these new wearable devices not only showed a map, but a map of the planet you are on (in the SRV) and you could mark waypoints, locations and the such ……

Yes yes, I know, it isn't very FD like but you never never know.

Yup, that would be nice.

It would still be used in ship and you may not be in your ship, but still want to plot a route somewhere from your location. You don't want to take a mission for example, get back to your ship, check where you are going then realise you don't want to go there and being forced to cancel said mission and then all of that was a waste.

To clarify, not saying it couldn't be a nice add to your hand held, too - unless that gets over complicated now - but I do think GalMap integrated in your Navigation panel is an incredibly natural place for it to be and I'd really hate to see it go from there, regardless of where else it might be a nice QoL add (eg. station services). o7

Planet, (orrery) and facility maps though, is A++ squee territory.

Last edited:
To clarify, not saying it couldn't be a nice add to your hand held, too - unless that gets over complicated now - but I do think GalMap integrated in your Nav panel is an incredibly natural place for it to be and I'd really hate to see it go from there, regardless of where else it might be a nice QoL (eg. via station services). o7

Planet .. and facility maps though is A++

Agreed. I still think there would be a nav panel in your ship as it is still a ship based activitiy. But no reason why you couldn't get a mini version but not fully featured on your hand held plus stuff like galnet, the codex and a host of other stuff. As to how busy it is, that all depends on how its set up. Look at our smartphones at the moment. It could be just Icon based, and you click on the icon for what you need and the information comes up.

“The second company, Herculean Machines, has taken a more down-to-earth approach."

Well, if you smell SpaceLegs, I smell Earth-Likes-Landing! [big grin]

I am not smelling either at the moment. I just see it as nice future proofing for when/if space legs gets introduced. I am also hoping for atmospherics too, but I suspect it won't be earth likes at first.

Top Bottom