New VR Helmet, Idea in the works

Delete, thoughts in progress.

I saw comments, felt this would occur. I am currently working on such solutions and suggestions

Last edited:
I'm thinking too heavy and too hot to wear for long. The Rift is one of the lightest headsets out there and you can work up a real sweat in it. As far as immersion goes, I haven't found a problem with that in the Rift and love it's nose gap. At this point with so many different titles ,some using in VR menus some not, I wouldn't want a hmd I couldn't easily peek out from under. Not yet anyway. The sweet spot on these things has you focused to the center of the lenses and you feel like your inside it without distraction now. Personally I don't see it as a practical approach, especially when so much VR in roomscale has you up and moving about. I wouldn't want to be wearing it playing Onward that's for sure.
Besides all that, as one awaiting the Pimax and a 200 fov, I would hate to see how this thing would look and weigh at that size and assuming it's not 200 degrees by the time it's a thing, people will have moved on.

Last edited:
I can see this for the immersion, yet I don't see the need for a product.

Best way this is accomplished is to make something to replace the regular straps instead of a stand alone VR product, both the Vive and upcoming Pimax will support replaceable head straps, so making something where the HMD slots into and even easily have like a visor functionality with the HMD would be not that hard to do. Compared to making a standalone VR product.
I have seen a few DIY Vive mods to do just this.

The rift not so much, and it has IR tracking LED's around the strap as well as audio feeds in it so it is fairly more complex because of the circuits.

Last edited:
Not for me i am afraid, as Dogbite has said the Nose gap is Vital for me, even though DASH is now with us, i still have so much to do outside the headset! I suppose when FD encompass DASH it might make my need to peep through the gap less and less, but Hmmmmmm, Still not sure i would want a restricted 'Sweaty'?? full face helmet on, but obviously you product my not be what i am imagining.

Good Luck with your endeavour though, it is always nice to see advances in Technology.

PS. How would i drink my Coffee???? ;)

I'd be interested if it has:

• little SDE
  • 4K resolution
  • greater FOV than the Rift
  • great inbuilt audio
  • wireless capability
  • inbuilt sensors
  • great software/drivers

For me, the next gen VR has to be a significant step up from the current gen. I certainly wouldn't shell out £400+ for a slightly better / similar experience to the Rift, but in a helmet.

Most people who have to wear helmets would, in fact, prefer not to at all if possible. Personally i wouldn't wear one voluntarily unless it had some major advantages such as keeping my brains inside my skull of course.

Sorry, but this doesn't really appeal to me. I imagine it would be a lot more uncomfortable than my current Rift, and would probably have significant fogging issues with the screen (because of exhaling inside the helmet). Also, as other have pointed out, it would be even more difficult to eat/drink while wearing a helmet.

One other major issue I see is that an actual motorcycle helmet comes in multiple sizes in order to fit the wearer correctly. You would also need to consider this. But if you made different size helmets, it would be unlikely that I could share it with other friends and family.

One other last thing that affects me, but not everyone, is the issue of wearing glasses inside the helmet. A real motorcycle helmet has a visor that you can lift to fit/adjust your glasses. With the VR helmet, this seems unlikely and would probably mean that I couldn't wear glasses at all while in VR.

So, sorry to throw all these negatives at you, but I think you really need to think about the practical nature of the VR helmet before investing any money in developing one. I don't see how this could work for me, but I wish you all the luck in your endeavours.

o7

Last edited:
Most people who have to wear helmets would, in fact, prefer not to at all if possible. Personally i wouldn't wear one voluntarily unless it had some major advantages such as keeping my brains inside my skull of course.

Indeed, And with the rift, and logitech cans, a helmet is the last thing I'm missing.

Go to any 'con and see how sweaty the cosplayers are when they take helmets off after 30 minutes or so, unless you fit fans (noise, vibration, weight) this is going to be very difficult to wear indoors with no airflow.

I'd suggest buying a toy helmet of some kind and wearing it for a couple of hours while indoors watching TV and see how pleasant it is before putting ANY money into this.

Yeah not for me either, I want it as light and small as possible, but the render does look cool!

Top Bottom