No more patch updates before Fleet Carriers?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As you can see, these two statements support each other.
Hi friend, Chanté and myself don't work on Elite - sorry! The Elite CM team is working hard (and growing too, so there'll be more people who can help you further) and they read everything, so they'll reply when they can. I'm sure they'll be back with fun activities soon, so bear with them <3!

8 days ago, Paige said during the lunchtime livestream that two new Community Managers had already been recruited and would be introduced to us soon.

Hmm .... might be something different from Interstellar Initiatives and CGs :unsure:

While community goals might not have been top notch gameplay, it still was the only group content the game had. .

As far as trucking goes, never saw the point in those CG's, with the exception of building new starports. Personally it feels way more immersive working with Ida, doing long and short haul, actually seeing my home ports (and many other ports) come back online. And all that protect the traders nonsense, it was just a way for bored PvP'ers to start ganking freighters.

As you can see, these two statements support each other.

Hmm .... might be something different from Interstellar Initiatives and CGs :unsure:

Not sure about that. Imho the fun activities Bo mentioned are whatever they decide to do on the regular Monday/Thursday streams. Not necessarily something new.

Not sure about that. Imho the fun activities Bo mentioned are whatever they decide to do on the regular Monday/Thursday streams. Not necessarily something new.
Not wanting to pick over words from Bo, who isn't part of the Elite team, but "being back" implies something additional to the livestreams which are a regular thing.

As far as trucking goes, never saw the point in those CG's, with the exception of building new starports. Personally it feels way more immersive working with Ida, doing long and short haul, actually seeing my home ports (and many other ports) come back online. And all that protect the traders nonsense, it was just a way for bored PvP'ers to start ganking freighters.

I personally never cared for the PvP in CGs either (or any PvP whatsoever, most of the time it feels out of place and detrimental to the game's feel), but I do have great memories from CGs like Hutton Orbital, the construction of Obsidian Orbital, one which required to pickup toxic waste canisters and bring them to port whilemthe ship was melting, and a bunch of others. They were a nice way for starters to make some cash, and pretty much the only way to regularly see other people in the game.

I do agree that Operation Ida is a great initiative, not only the purpose is awesome and it fits great in the game world, it's kind of a mega-CG in itself, but it's a player group initiative organized out-of-game, if the organizers decide to sudddenly quit then it's gone, while CGs there was always something going on.

It's definitively not the end of the world, but the game will feel a little less "alive" without CGs (or something similar).

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
While community goals might not have been top notch gameplay, it still was the only group content the game had.

That's not entirely true, as we also have wing missions. And while the following is not "gameplay" in its own right, the game also allows for a Squadron to adopt a Minor Faction and work its BGS as a group.

While community goals might not have been top notch gameplay, it still was the only group content the game had.
Powerplay?

lob1.jpg

While community goals might not have been top notch gameplay, it still was the only group content the game had. While I can understand that for a solo player CGs might be absolutely worthless, I'm a bit sad to see it go, as several of the best moments in the game were during some CGs cooperating with other players.

Hopefully the new era will bring improved versions (or something else entirely) to fill this gap, or even better ways for players to interact between themselves and the game world so they can create their own group activities, but at the moment this feels more like the game is being slowly dismantled a small bit at a time than "the entirety of the dev team even the guy who writes the CGs micro-story is focused exclusively on the new era".

I'm currently in a very dark mood (nothing to do with the game) and yet I'm very optimistic with this particular statement. Weak design elements can serve as a placeholder for a while (and sometimes this 'while' is lasting way too long) but sooner or later has to be replaced with some more meaty content. I see the situation a bit like with the ADS: Players got used to it and even made it part of their gameplay and now are missing it.

I expect changes in the future that will justify this move, similar to what the FSS did to the game. And it wasn't the module alone, it also came with a host of new content like the capability of detecting Bio-/ Geo sides or USS's without the need of flying aimlessly 300 KLs or more and I guess/hope that the removal of GalNet news and CGs was also just an opener for potentially new and interesting gameplay loops in the future.

I'm looking forward to all these new stuff and that hopefully no one will be ever looking back in grief, unlike with the ADS drama.

I would not call them Pointless Fluff. All II were quite nice
And the last CG attracted more than 8000 players.

Crap attracts 1 Mio. flies, so that's an argument, eh? Especially when there is no alternative.

I personally never cared for the PvP in CGs (or any PvP whatsoever, most of the time it feels out of place and detrimental to the game's feel), but I do have great memories from CGs like Hutton Orbital, the construction of Obsidian Orbital, and a bunch of others. They were a nice way for starters to make some cash, and pretty much the only way to regularly see other people in the game.

Agreed, where you around when we built that line of stations going out to Sothis/Ceos? Was a huge amount of fun in both open and solo. Obsidian too, I lived out in the Pleiades when there was no stations (and the sky was red) still living out there to this day.

As time has gone along, those cg's kinda lost their soul, Ida feels much more natural, like the fuel rats.

And all were COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. Considering that thousands of players enjoyed these things every week, bringing them back for us is not what I would consider a "waste of developer resources". By the logic of some, 3/4 of the ships in this game should be removed because _ I _ don't like them.
There's a lot of optiobality in ED. But that is no excuse for repetitive gameplay. If you leave all the boring optional stuff out - that might be where the mile wide - inch deep comes from.

Prediction:

April 1st: patch notes for a bugfix update released, which include an enigmatic line:

New content added at Raxxla.

All requests for information about this new content (or the location of Raxxla) will then be ignored, until just before the end of Q2 (late June). Then we will get:

Carriers were added in April.

By this time, the devs will have had 3 months to play with them. And nobody else will have seen them around, due to instancing (you have to be in the owner's squadron to see them).

I expect changes in the future that will justify this move, similar to what the FSS did to the game. And it wasn't the module alone, it also came with a host of new content like the capability of detecting Bio-/ Geo sides or USS's without the need of flying aimlessly 300 KLs or more and I guess/hope that the removal of GalNet news and CGs was also just an opener for potentially new and interesting gameplay loops in the future.

I'm looking forward to all these new stuff and that hopefully no one will be ever looking back in grief, unlike with the ADS drama.
You make a good point :)

Weak design elements can serve as a placeholder for a while (and sometimes this 'while' is lasting way too long) but sooner or later has to be replaced with some more meaty content.

The FSS is not meaty content. Its a joke that made a load of people stop playing.

Iv seen two magpies torment a fox before. There was a bit of food or something, but everytime the fox moved towards it one magpie tryed to peck its tail, fox jumps round, other magpie trys to peck its tail. I dont think they even cared about the food, just enjoying tormenting the fox.

You make a good point :)

The ADS didn't need to be removed, the galnet & CGs/IIs require an ongoing maintenance overhead. Removing existing functionality without justification (the old discovery modules) is not the same.

The only commonality is FDev apparently 'listening to the community' in both cases.

The FSS is not meaty content. Its a joke that made a load of people stop playing.

Iv seen two magpies torment a fox before. There was a bit of food or something, but everytime the fox moved towards it one magpie tryed to peck its tail, fox jumps round, other magpie trys to peck its tail. I dont think they even cared about the food, just enjoying tormenting the fox.
The real torment is engineer gameplay. It's goalpoasting achieved progress and nickel and diming new progress at its worst.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom