"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I won't at all be surprised if that road map DB mentioned includes the console release date slipping. Given the amount of work they appear to have ahead of them and what's just happened with the official 'release' of Odyssey they surely wouldn't commit to another impossible deadline.

...Or would they? 🤪

Most of the work could be at the Engine level. Which means that whatever optimization will be achieved, it will be available cross platform

Frontier knew how far behind they were way before we did, and therefore the console release window may already have this covered.

The other ray of hope for current gen is the Roadmap Braben has promised - hopefully a mention of current-gen, and if not, a golden opportunity to rally the silent majority of console owners to lobby for it en masse.

Ban me for being optimistic.
Roadmap will be interesting to see, for sure. But at this stage I have very little confidence that the new tech can be made to run on the last-gen consoles without hosing the game for everyone else ...

I feel, in no particular order that the following should be observed: Culling, lots of culling, LODs, lots of LODs.
Instancing, but actually in an instant, rather than not instancing instantly.
For PlayStation I suspect it should start with re-writing the engine from scratch to scale to use PS4, PS4-Pro and PS5 capabilities appropriately.

Which sounds flippant, but I rather assume there are three versions of the core engine - namely for PC, Xbox (which I guess might share some code with the PC engine) and then PlayStation. I'd not necessarily expect the engine code to be shared across those so optimising the PC engine may not assist for PlayStation at all. The game code that runs on that engine I would expect to be common and cross-compiled, though.

Last edited:
For PlayStation I suspect it should start with re-writing the engine from scratch to scale to use PS4, PS4-Pro and PS5 capabilities appropriately.

Which sounds flippant, but I rather assume there are three versions of the core engine - namely for PC, Xbox (which I guess might share some code with the PC engine) and then PlayStation. I'd not necessarily expect the engine code to be shared across those so optimising the PC engine may not assist for PlayStation at all. The game code that runs on that engine I would expect to be common and cross-compiled, though.
Not sure engine is the word you are looking for here. Engines are shared across multiple platforms all the time, it doesn't require a complete rewrite to function.

Roadmap will be interesting to see, for sure. But at this stage I have very little confidence that the new tech can be made to run on the last-gen consoles without hosing the game for everyone else ...
However good or bad it ends up running on last-gen, it will not make any difference whatsoever to the PC build.

Not sure engine is the word you are looking for here. Engines are shared across multiple platforms all the time, it doesn't require a complete rewrite to function.
I'm expecting something low-level that handles graphics MUST be different. There's no such thing as DirectX on PlayStation for starters! Where the commonality can kick in above that, yeh, not entirely sure.

I'm expecting something low-level that handles graphics MUST be different. There's no such thing as DirectX on PlayStation for starters! Where the commonality can kick in above that, yeh, not entirely sure.
They are using the current iteration of their toolset, which supports the creation of the new graphics and also builds against the consoles. One toolset, one codebase, used to build against multiple hardware platforms

They are using the current iteration of their toolset, which supports the creation of the new graphics and also builds against the consoles. One toolset, one codebase, used to build against multiple hardware platforms
I mean ... the “toolset” is doing the heavy lifting in that scenario and has some serious “pre-canned” code/libraries for each of the platforms ... in which case it’s that code/libraries that I’m proposing needs updating to scale across the different PS variants.

They should just cancel the release on PS4/XOne.

Might be bad PR for a few days, but many people would understand. Combined with the announcement that they will focus the resources on a native PS5/XSX version, to deliver the best player experience possible and to be more flexible regarding future updates and enhancements.

After the dust settled, I think more players would be happy than vice versa.

They should just cancel the release on PS4/XOne.
They should cancel it - only if there's a very good reason to - people are guessing it's going to run like a pig, but that's all it is, guesswork. As far as I can tell, the primary motive for people to say that on the forums is their personal desire for a current-gen version. But this isn't an either/or proposition.

I would throw fits the like no one here will otherwise experience. We can't even get ps5. Stores in my area laugh when you ask.
Precisely the point. Cancelling that existing platform when people cant get hold of its successor isn't a particularly brilliant idea - there would have to be monumental problems with the build to justify it.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
is the minimum spec for Odyssey around the ps4/XB territory or way out?
The PS4 base console is slightly below the PC minimum specifications in roughly equivalent GPU comparisons.

See;

The PS4 base console is slightly below the PC minimum specifications in roughly equivalent GPU comparisons.

See;

yea but the way I've read it is that as consoles are a locked spec its easier to optimise for
("easier" probably being the wrong word there..)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
yea but the way I've read it is that as consoles are a locked spec its easier to optimise for
("easier" probably being the wrong word there..)
In theory it should be more straightforward. As you are focused on one fixed specification although we actually have a few variations now in both Xbox and PlayStation models.

The current generation of consoles make it more time consuming although as this thread is all about we are still potentially going to be stuck in BC mode on the PS5 which hamstrings the hardware.

Ultimately it should still be less work doing consoles than doing PC optimisation which has such a wide variation in hardware.

My worry is the Jaguar CPU of the last gen consoles which to be honest was past its sell by date when the consoles launched will struggle.

Top Bottom