"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

They should just cancel the release on PS4/XOne.

Might be bad PR for a few days, but many people would understand. Combined with the announcement that they will focus the resources on a native PS5/XSX version, to deliver the best player experience possible and to be more flexible regarding future updates and enhancements.

After the dust settled, I think more players would be happy than vice versa.

Cancel updates so that they can focus their efforts on making the experience better for players who will overall be happy at the end of it, even though it involved some initial pain ? Have you ever heard of their "Beyond" plan and would you per chance like to buy a bridge ?

is the minimum spec for Odyssey around the ps4/XB territory or way out?
For a first party developer, for either console, it'd be probably more than possible. I am not sure about the Xbox games but we had some absolutely strikingly good looking games on the PS4... by the first party devs. So it can be done. All that spiel about how "galaxy 1:1 and bla bla" is just thrown around by people who think this is an unimaginable project which takes a few Cray supercomputers to run. No, it doesn't need that, it's just lazy, bad or incompetent optimization. Everyone will choose the easiest way out when developing, least money and man-hours involved, the better.

For a third party, like FDEV... I am not sure they will have the teams and money to make it work good enough. If the last gen versions aren't dropped altogether, I am expecting a pretty bad version on PS4/Xbox One/X. Best case scenario, it will run probably just as Horizons runs now on previous gen, worst case, it'll run slightly worse, dumbed down graphics and frame rate.

While I really hope they will not drop previous gen support (there's a huge market for that still), I would love an actual gen version of EDH/EDO. Many of the MMO games (of which variety Elite Dangerous belongs... in some way) bring actual generation optimizations, ESO, Destiny 2, Warframe, NMS, to name some higher profile games. We might see something like that coming from FDEV, who knows.

Really interested to see if that roadmap of theirs will list only fixes for the PC, or does it also include some console love as well?

The current generation of consoles make it more time consuming although as this thread is all about we are still potentially going to be stuck in BC mode on the PS5 which hamstrings the hardware.
If they have bodies in the office, I really hope they can build against current-gen at the same time. Yes, its a big job, Its 4 builds to test against 7 platforms, but with people in the office their capacity will be going up quite significantly.

Getting all the console builds knocked out at the same time should be more efficient than separating current-gen into a separate project for a later time.

They should cancel it - only if there's a very good reason to - people are guessing it's going to run like a pig, but that's all it is, guesswork. As far as I can tell, the primary motive for people to say that on the forums is their personal desire for a current-gen version. But this isn't an either/or proposition.

Precisely the point. Cancelling that existing platform when people cant get hold of its successor isn't a particularly brilliant idea - there would have to be monumental problems with the build to justify it.
You are right, it is pure speculation how Odyseey will run on base consoles after release. But the concern that it won't be great after the initial struggles with the PC version and the weak hardware of base consoles seems to be quite founded.

One reason is indeed the desire for a PS5 version, but the more important reason is actually the future proofness of ED. I think improving the ED experience and developing a further vision with more complex atmospheres and planets, more Thargoid interaction etc. could be hold back by the old hardware.

No pun intended, I can totally understand the frustration of not being able to get a PS5. But when you look at the numbers sold in a specific timeframe, the PS5 has been the most successful Playstation so far (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...s-over-50-percent-of-the-games-console-market). So the supply constraint can't be that huge when they are able to out-sell the PS4 after launch, which was also a huge success. And in autumn when Odyssey launches (so probably just before Christmas) many more people will already have a PS5, hopefully you included).

I think improving the ED experience and developing a further vision with more complex atmospheres and planets, more Thargoid interaction etc. could be hold back by the old hardware.
This is a PC game first a foremost, and the range of PC hardware it runs on is vast, demonstrating how scalable it is today.

If Elite was a PC only game, this situation would be exactly the same but conversation about older hardware holding the game back wouldn't exist, because it's the very existence of consoles in elite that causes people to draw the distinction in the first place.

But the concern that it won't be great after the initial struggles with the PC version.
I get it, but consider that if Odyssey had been released in a polished, optimised state, then people wouldn't even be considering this "problem" in the way they are today.

This is a PC game first a foremost, and the range of PC hardware it runs on is vast, demonstrating how scalable it is today.

If Elite was a PC only game, this situation would be exactly the same but conversation about older hardware holding the game back wouldn't exist, because it's the very existence of consoles in elite that causes people to draw the distinction in the first place.
If it would be a PC only game, the developer can increase the minimum required specs every so and then and that would increase the weakest hardware the game has to run on. That is not the case when you support a console, in that case they're bound to the base PS4/XOne hardware for all upcoming decisions.

That is why a jump to a new game version like Odyssey in combination with a new console generation is a great chance to get rid of old platforms. The same was done when Diablo III made the jump to Reaper of Souls (they got rid of the PS3 version).

I loved the "odyssey released as a buggy incomplete mess because consoles" takes that was going around when it first released. People wanted to blame anything but fdev for the crap they asked money for. It was absurd and that's when I realized alot of this community is completely delusional and this game may never get where it needs too because the fans will excuse everything they release.

Even Brabens second apology reeked. Telling us how ambitions your vision was as some sort of an excuse for the games shortcomings isn't really acceptable. You set those expectations, then you fell well short. Instead of delaying until it was acceptable you released. You asked people for money for this product, your ambition isn't a shield when you have your hands out.

If it would be a PC only game, the developer can increase the minimum required specs every so and then and that would increase the weakest hardware the game has to run on. That is not the case when you support a console, in that case they're bound to the base PS4/XOne hardware for all upcoming decisions.

That is why a jump to a new game version like Odyssey in combination with a new console generation is a great chance to get rid of old platforms. The same was done when Diablo III made the jump to Reaper of Souls (they got rid of the PS3 version).

I totally get what you're saying, I just question if the base consoles are the outlier you suggest that they are, and if they are that they have a profound enough effect on the direction of the game to worry about it, given all the major architectural decisions were made and built over 6 years ago.

It's equally possible that they sit happily alongside the base PC minimum spec, and are similarly "discarded" at the same time. Only the team know for sure, and they sure as hell won't be telling us.

I totally get what you're saying, I just question if the base consoles are the outlier you suggest that they are, and if they are that they have a profound enough effect on the direction of the game to worry about it, given all the major architectural decisions were made and built over 6 years ago.

It's equally possible that they sit happily alongside the base PC minimum spec, and are similarly "discarded" at the same time. Only the team know for sure, and they sure as hell won't be telling us.
That's a fair point. I am not a software developer but am interested in the topic. As far as I gathered knowledge about it, considering the weakest platform during design decisions can be quite often a headache and hinders progess. That pain can be eased by increasing the min specs (PC) or jump to the next console gen every few years. And now that chance is gone for quite a while, as they can't abandon the base consoles shortly after Odyssey was released.

I really would love Elite to evolve much further (and faster) and I fear the decision to stick with the old consoles will limit the possibilities.

That's a fair point. I am not a software developer but am interested in the topic. As far as I gathered knowledge about it, considering the weakest platform during design decisions can be quite often a headache and hinders progess. That pain can be eased by increasing the min specs (PC) or jump to the next console gen every few years. And now that chance is gone for quite a while, as they can't abandon the base consoles shortly after Odyssey was released.

I really would love Elite to evolve much further (and faster) and I fear the decision to stick with the old consoles will limit the possibilities.

Relying on Backwards Compatibility mode in order to play the game on current-gen consoles (or should that be actual-gen? I like that :)) certainly does limit the possibilities..! Especially in the case of the PS5 with it's 1080p resolution and oddly-shimmery-and-blurry "Quality" mode.

o7

Since Cyberpunk was removed from the store you're risking a lot of bad publicity if your game is unfinished,nobody wants to be the next Cyberpunk so they have to get this right. Where the game is right now I'm a little concerned they have enough time.

Relying on Backwards Compatibility mode in order to play the game on current-gen consoles (or should that be actual-gen? I like that :)) certainly does limit the possibilities..! Especially in the case of the PS5 with it's 1080p resolution and oddly-shimmery-and-blurry "Quality" mode.

o7
I don't think bc with a promise of next gen release wouldn't be the worse thing. Alot of companies do it. The problem is with fdevs track record I just wouldnt believe them if they said it was in the pipeline.

Just noticed there's an Odyssey ad currently at the top corner of my YouTube home page. The wording might be considered worrying for PS4 owners!

YT_Screenshot.jpg

Has anyone ever asked or the reason posted anywhere as to why "there are no plans to support next-gen consoles at this time"?

That statement in itself is a huge red flag for me and the reason why I keep saying console support will be dropped altogether in the (near) future...
The ‘no plans…’ response is from an interview last August.

I really hope that it is out-of-date and that Frontier are no working on providing something.
I really hope that they are not just expecting the port to consoles to be a 5 minute task that can be started after the PC fixes are complete.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
What's annoying is they are obviously familiar with the process, planet coaster was delayed a month iirc to roll out the ps5 version along side the PS4 version.

I would love an actually reason why there is no plans for a native ps5 version. Also the infamous, when we do next gen we want to make it special non statement. Just red flags all around.
We would all love more direct communication addressing consoles and specifically PlayStation. I don't think we'd ever get an answer to that question unfortunately.

Top Bottom