"No plans to port Elite Dangerous to PS5"

I was reading comments about Planet Coaster on the Eurogamer news site yesterday - I'll post the link if I remember - and it sounds like they have a similar situation of very limited support for the console version once it had shipped, in terms of bug fixes, in comparison to the PC version of the game. Long standing bugs unaddressed on console while they continue to fix and support the PC version.

Seems like an institutional issue.

my gut says if we don't hear anything by the end of the year (update 9) then it just wont be happening
If you’re talking EDO, my gut feel is already it’s not gonna happen.

To go with the “no plans for it to happen” for the PS5 native version of the game.

Which just leaves the question of whether the PS4 version of the game will be fixed so that the connectivity issues are resolved - whether running on both PS4 and PS5.

The issue is, the first two (which I’m sure won’t be happening) would bring in money whereas bug fixes won’t. So … if they can’t be bothered to do anything that they might get paid for why would they bother doing anything for free?!

If you’re talking EDO, my gut feel is already it’s not gonna happen.

To go with the “no plans for it to happen” for the PS5 native version of the game.
My guess is, there will be a PS5 version. I think, somewhat after update 10 or 11 (roughly end of February) we will receive the "We are terribly heartbroken" message that drops the ps4 support and the "We are pleased" announcement to support ps5. The version will be the PS4 code compiled with ps5 flag (hopefully with 4k support added). But thats just my bleak musings and maybe we may be surprised by Frontier this time 😌.

My guess is, there will be a PS5 version. I think, somewhat after update 10 or 11 (roughly end of February) we will receive the "We are terribly heartbroken" message that drops the ps4 support and the "We are pleased" announcement to support ps5. The version will be the PS4 code compiled with ps5 flag (hopefully with 4k support added). But thats just my bleak musings and maybe we may be surprised by Frontier this time 😌.
Bleak? I think that’s quite positive!

There are a LOT of decisions FDev have made in Elite that I feel pretty confident I could have done better.
With the benefit of hindsight, there are probably some decisions that they feel they could have done better but that's the trick isn't it?

It's far easier to feel confident in your decision making when you're doing it sat on your arxe at home, with full knowledge of what happened after those decisions were actually made.

Not having a plan for the new generation of consoles, for your DLC that launches within the new generation console launch window is certainly a strange decision.

Still not having one, a year into the new console generation, is also something that seems difficult to understand even without hindsight...

Last edited:
@boppa_ I had not asked myself the question of what the Odyssey announcement will be like on consoles (if they finally launch it), will it be a development update, a special publication, a youtube trailer during the games awards?

@boppa_ I had not asked myself the question of what the Odyssey announcement will be like on consoles (if they finally launch it), will it be a development update, a special publication, a youtube trailer during the games awards?
We've previous form to analyse...

A forum post announcing an announcement.

Followed by a stream announcing an announcement.

Then a short stream announcing something.

Followed by a forum post, which will devolve into discussion about PC Vs Console.

Then a three month wait, a pre order period, and a 1 week beta.

Then it will launch and work perfectly and include everything we ever wanted 😇

Last edited:
Meanwhile a handful of people working out of a shed (sarcasm) have updated No Man's Sky for PS5, alongside updating PSVR for use with it making it feel like a new experience altogether on PlayStation.

Frontier can't even discuss with us whether they consider the next gen consoles important to them, let alone reassure us on how on Earth they will accomplish making Odyssey run on the base PS4 if they can't even work out how to get good performance from top of the line PC's overall?

Meanwhile a handful of people working out of a shed (sarcasm) have updated No Man's Sky for PS5, alongside updating PSVR for use with it making it feel like a new experience altogether on PlayStation.

Frontier can't even discuss with us whether they consider the next gen consoles important to them, let alone reassure us on how on Earth they will accomplish making Odyssey run on the base PS4 if they can't even work out how to get good performance from top of the line PC's overall?
Man really does put things into perspective doesn't it. While NMS may not always add what everyone wants, at least they are adding things consistently, and with great optimization while they're at it. All while only having 20 guys on their team (which was even less back when it first released).

Regardless of whether NMS is "your thing" or not, their productivity and QA alone runs circles around Fdev.

Man really does put things into perspective doesn't it. While NMS may not always add what everyone wants, at least they are adding things consistently, and with great optimization while they're at it. All while only having 20 guys on their team (which was even less back when it first released).

Regardless of whether NMS is "your thing" or not, their productivity and QA alone runs circles around Fdev.
Not only are they consistently adding content and updating their game. They don't charge anything for it! Frontier spent more time fishing out "exciting" paint jobs than they did actually bothering to develop their game and test the product they produce. I hate ranting about it, but I really hope to see them do something meaningful on console now that the next gen is here. Even the PS4 deserves more love since that's the platform we're primarily speaking of here.

Top Bottom