Obsidian shenannigans (The Outer Worlds)

Guess with all these sources, take it with a mountain of salt, but yeah.. not really making me jump at a chance of installing. Also what I don't understand: every indie dev going to EGS keeps saying you don't need the launcher beyond installation. That is the thing though, why need it for installation at all? GOG gives you download links without Galaxy, humble can do to. So why can't the mighty EGS?

Each to their own I guess, but for me it's not going to happen. Don't need another resource heavy market/launcher on my discs. Steam was convenient once, but even that is lost now with all the crapware mixed in with the real games. Way too much effort for something that's meant to be relaxing/entertaining. If Obsidian want to go to Epic, then fine, they can... if I ever get Outer Worlds now, it'll be at 75% discount in a sale... Not going to pay full price to donate to a launcher war.

I installed the epic client for Metro recently. It's not a pretty thing but it's serviceable enough. I dislike the extra client but I suppose if they are providing more competition and a better rate for developers then it's a good thing overall I suppose.

As for this game my jury is out still very much so.

Deleted member 110222

D
Oh look. Another game I'll be buying on Xbox.

Frell you Epic.

I miss big box releases with all sorts of goodies and proper quality printed manuals.
Ironically they phased out big boxes in favor of DVD boxes to help retail with stocking more games - only to phase out retail PC games entirely just a few years later.

So this was a completely pointless stunt in the end. And DVD boxes don't fit enough DVDs anyway.

Well for me personally it is the general turnoff of trying to compete by making stuff exclusive instead of say.. a good storefront. Then there's stuff like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1qDlD1U4AAXeO4.jpg:large

Thanks, I did some research and indeed it looks bad. Even if its just consumer "panic", I dont need the game asap, I can wait for it to be on Steam. I have many issues with Steam, especially with its quality control (there are some very questionable titles and trillions of "asset flips" on there) but so far the platform is working very good for me. Many time I was asking for a refund and it was fast automatic process.
I never really had any issues with this platform so I prefer to have my games via Steam.

Thanks, I did some research and indeed it looks bad. Even if its just consumer "panic", I dont need the game asap, I can wait for it to be on Steam. I have many issues with Steam, especially with its quality control (there are some very questionable titles and trillions of "asset flips" on there) but so far the platform is working very good for me. Many time I was asking for a refund and it was fast automatic process.
I never really had any issues with this platform so I prefer to have my games via Steam.

I heard outer worlds will be a Epic Store exclusive.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/15/epic-games-deny-spying-allegations/

The panic over the Epic store 'spying' is probably unjustified. Yes, it's a really immature platform compared to Steam but really I think the main reason for this backlash isn't the store or spying, but rather people's knee-jerk reaction to Epic exclusives at the expense of their preferred PC games platform. To that I have to just shake my head. It's still available on the Microsoft store and it's still available on console and you can still pick it up later on other PC distros.

I'm no Epic fanboy, nor am I a Steam fanboy. I want to play this game and I'll buy it on the Epic store at launch, barring any *verified* accounts of malfeasance by Epic. Obsidian will get a bit more money by selling it on the Epic store and that's awesome for them. Maybe Steam should take a hint and make their platform more competitive from a revenue sharing standpoint at the very least.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/15/epic-games-deny-spying-allegations/

The panic over the Epic store 'spying' is probably unjustified. Yes, it's a really immature platform compared to Steam but really I think the main reason for this backlash isn't the store or spying, but rather people's knee-jerk reaction to Epic exclusives at the expense of their preferred PC games platform. To that I have to just shake my head. It's still available on the Microsoft store and it's still available on console and you can still pick it up later on other PC distros.

I'm no Epic fanboy, nor am I a Steam fanboy. I want to play this game and I'll buy it on the Epic store at launch, barring any *verified* accounts of malfeasance by Epic. Obsidian will get a bit more money by selling it on the Epic store and that's awesome for them. Maybe Steam should take a hint and make their platform more competitive from a revenue sharing standpoint at the very least.

It's not a knee-jerk, Jenner. It's a serious concern for future of gaming industry.
Having exclusives, like a monopoly in any industry, is ultimately anti-consumer.

If Epic offered the same games Steam offers, but were competitive with pricing, I wouldn't have a problem with that. That's how it should work.
That is the big difference between "I will ensure they will buy it from me" free market mentality and "I will ensure they can't buy it anywhere else" corporate totality.

Naturally, I recognize that at the end of the day, it's Obsidian's decision, but when Microsoft bought them and promised they will keep their freedom, this is not what I was expecting.

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
It's not a knee-jerk, Jenner. It's a serious concern for future of gaming industry.
Having exclusives, like a monopoly in any industry, is ultimately anti-consumer.

If Epic offered the same games Steam offers, but were competitive with pricing, I wouldn't have a problem with that. That's how it should work.

There are tons of games today that do not exist across every single distribution platform, yet people are not up in arms over that. The only difference is that Epic is getting it in a contract with developers and poking Steam in the eye. Fine by me. Steam can adapt or die. Consumers can buy the game elsewhere. Again - you can buy this on console or the Windows store. No one is forcing anyone to give Epic a dime. This isn't analogous to a monopoly. The closest thing in this situation to a monopoly is Steam itself, and people are rushing to defend it largely (imho) because they have a ton of games in their Steam libraries and do not want another launcher to mess with. I understand that, but the solution is not to tar and feather Epic but rather for these game storefronts to help foster the development of some kind of universal launcher thing that would simply interface with eveyrone's different store accounts.

There are technical solutions to the 'too many darn launchers' problem. Epic is doing fine by giving devs more profit sharing and pointing out how terribly Valve manages their storefront imho.

That is the big difference between "I will ensure they will buy it from me" free market mentality and "I will ensure they can't buy it anywhere else" corporate totality.

Naturally, I recognize that at the end of the day, it's Obsidian's decision, but when Microsoft bought them and promised they will keep their freedom, this is not what I was expecting.
Doesn't matter. In the end it will harm the platform as a whole and that is what Microsoft wants. They have to sell Xboxes.

There are tons of games today that do not exist across every single distribution platform, yet people are not up in arms over that. The only difference is that Epic is getting it in a contract with developers and poking Steam in the eye. Fine by me. Steam can adapt or die. Consumers can buy the game elsewhere. Again - you can buy this on console or the Windows store. No one is forcing anyone to give Epic a dime. This isn't analogous to a monopoly. The closest thing in this situation to a monopoly is Steam itself, and people are rushing to defend it largely (imho) because they have a ton of games in their Steam libraries and do not want another launcher to mess with. I understand that, but the solution is not to tar and feather Epic but rather for these game storefronts to help foster the development of some kind of universal launcher thing that would simply interface with eveyrone's different store accounts.

There are technical solutions to the 'too many darn launchers' problem. Epic is doing fine by giving devs more profit sharing and pointing out how terribly Valve manages their storefront imho.

You probably don't remember but when EA launched Origin and pulled their games from Steam, the reaction was even wilder than this.
And this is something different than the console vs. PC exclusives.

Consoles were always closed ecosystems and people are buying them with that in mind. I don't have problem with that One exclusive even convinced me to buy a PS3, a couple years back.
But it's this artificial segmentation of PC market that grinds my gears. There is no reason behind it, other than corporate greed.
As for if Epic store is good for developers, we'll have to see.

The closest thing in this situation to a monopoly is Steam itself, and people are rushing to defend it largely (imho) because they have a ton of games in their Steam libraries and do not want another launcher to mess with.
A monopoly in the original sense is when a specific enterprise is the only supplier of a commodity. The commodity here would be computer game distribution, and although Valve with Steam was and still is the biggest part of the market, it obviously couldn't crush any would-be competitors with its powers, like monopolies tend to.
On the other hand, they gave plenty back to gamers. All the middleware (it's easy to forget about this if you aren't in game development), SteamVR, lots of Linux support and help lately... Actually, speaking of which, I find it ironic how quickly people would be upset about whatever the Epic launcher might be doing, but are using Windows 10 with its far more intrusive data collection.

Meanwhile, from my perspective, Epic has a much worse-featured launcher, without any plans for Linux support, and the only way they seem to be able to gain any competitive advantage is to spend vast amounts of money to buy exclusivity from developers. It doesn't really look like they can compete on merit alone so far.
But hey, the markets aren't rational, and money talks.

So does this game let me fly spaceships?

Seemingly not:

Wikipedia said:
In the early stages of the game, the player can create their own character and unlock a ship, which acts as the game's central hub space. Though the player cannot control their ship, it serves a fast travel point to access different areas in the game and the player's inventory. (Source)

It looks like it will for the first year be on Microsoft Shop and Epic Store only, so I guess I'll wait for it to show up on GoG - by that time I might have completed PoE II Deadfire.

Top Bottom