Odyssey as pc only.

I can think of a few that might be interested...

Ziga zig ahhh....
SOCIAL-Spice-1.jpg

🎡 🎡 🎡 🎡 🎡 🎡

If you wanna run Ody

You are going to neeeeeddd

A decent GPU and CPUUU Sppeeeeeddd

🎡🎡🎡🎡🎡

Given a reasonable set of circumstances, the release of the second SRV would have been big news, but it got buried in the Odyssey set of unfortunate circumstances.

Frontier are having to run to catch up and hopefully that's what they are doing.

Odyssey as we know tends to take more PC resources than horizons. To subvert the fact that even brand new console hardware is much weaker than new PC hardware I say fdev should just say "console development is a no go, hardware on consoles is not at the level to support odyssey" Anyone can buy/ build a PC, esoecially as hardware gets more available and less expensive. A PC also opens the world of modding to the user (not in elite but other games), free multiplayer, upgradability, much more customization, higher performance, and just an overall drastically better experience. Many games are PC only, if u wanna play odyssey a PC is your ticket, otherwise you console players can still play horizons.
Consoles are going to get the same message we VR users got, "We will not longer support Consoles (VR 2021 RIP). "

Also about 5 years too late to make the gamer at 1984 generation.
I was able to play the original elite on a BBC model "B" - and had been playing games on computing hardware for 9 years (some of it on mainframes), I didn't take games seriously then either.
Frontier don't like admitting weakness even at a superficial level, so giving up and conceding they are not able to perform their core function won't be happening unless they're in extreme distress.
Frontier dislike communicating any issues they have, unless forced. At some point they are going to be forced, once again, to make a statement over the EDO expansion - although then it will be both PC minimum requirements and console - given the current progress on PC optimisation, the statement is unlikely to be particularly positive.

While the EDO expansion is occupying their Dev team with both fixes and further optimisation they cannot progress the expansion on console effectively, but are still extending the development cost of the expansion with minimal revenue (allegedly) from sales to offset the cost. At some point the expansion development must be considered complete, if that is sub-optimal for console porting, consoles would have to be abandoned, or at least the last generation ones.

If you want to run Ody, you need the minimum specs as prescribed by Frontier.

90s software isn't going to cut it :)
Not quite as musical though, is it?

Being more pedantic you can run EDO on below spec hardware, its just you will get suboptimal performace in certain areas. The only way to play EDO with a consistent FPS is as Sporty, Scary, Baby, Posh and Deviant Spice just sang.

Not quite as musical though, is it?

Being more pedantic you can run EDO on below spec hardware, its just you will get suboptimal performace in certain areas. The only way to play EDO with a consistent FPS is as Sporty, Scary, Baby, Posh and Deviant Spice just sang.
And they're being as vague as Frontier who at least are prepared to give specs more informative than 'decent'.

Or are you suggesting that ED needs girl power to run 'decently' :)

I'm a firm believer that, despite the issues they've had with EDO and all of us now considering ourselves experts in their field because of it, FD know a thing or two about whether they're in a good place to release on consoles or not. Likely a lot more than any of us ;)

I'm a firm believer that, despite the issues they've had with EDO and all of us now considering ourselves experts in their field because of it, FD know a thing or two about whether they're in a good place to release on consoles or not. Likely a lot more than any of us ;)
Certainly Frontier are better informed than anyone else, but it didn't stop them apparently making plans for simultaneous release, then an Autumn 2021 release followed by a 'we don't know when' release.

And that's from the people who have all the information.

Frontier dislike communicating any issues they have, unless forced. At some point they are going to be forced, once again, to make a statement over the EDO expansion - although then it will be both PC minimum requirements and console - given the current progress on PC optimisation, the statement is unlikely to be particularly positive.

While the EDO expansion is occupying their Dev team with both fixes and further optimisation they cannot progress the expansion on console effectively, but are still extending the development cost of the expansion with minimal revenue (allegedly) from sales to offset the cost. At some point the expansion development must be considered complete, if that is sub-optimal for console porting, consoles would have to be abandoned, or at least the last generation ones.

Really that's the current feeling? I did skip elite from od launch to the week before christmas, so don't have a feeling of progress from cm updates.

My personal opinion is there still are some really quick wins to try before calling it.

- The fact the monster shader was reported by the community in june and still in the live game sounds both completely insane given the pr fallout and yet also low hanging fruit that could make a huge difference. I keep speculating if david braben learnt how to use his source control tools and checked in one number in an xml file (not even code....), he could be 10's of millions richer today.

- Actually starting / finishing the development of fps engine optimization (also reported by the community as missing post odd launch) sounds like a huge opportunity.

- Planet tech they're going to have to do something about. If 9 months later they're still lost for a solution, a better option would be to roll it back and make odd work. Is there some sort of auto flatten for horizons or are all those hand placed?

Yeah pending things like being done, i don't see any reason to give up.. but yeah i guess i wasnt around last year to be convinced its impossible :)

Profits are of course king, but missing a platform launch due to pure technical inability would be taken alot worse by the shareholders imo.

Maybe people just need to lighten up and realise, its a game? If it does not come to console, then deal with it?

I get fed up with the unending amount of whywhywhy threads when FD have a position on it, obtuse as it is.
Maybe just lighten up and let those who have an issue complain about it and let Frontier deal with their own customer relations.

I feel this isn't the sort of thread for you.

Certainly Frontier are better informed than anyone else, but it didn't stop them apparently making plans for simultaneous release, then an Autumn 2021 release followed by a 'we don't know when' release.

And that's from the people who have all the information.
Yes, but the point I'm making is that quite a few of us think that it is just our own guidance that allowed them to realise it wasn't ready when they came to that decision. I'm pretty sure they've got enough experience at making games to have come to that realisation themselves. People change their minds. Some external people think they're the only thing involved in that decision making process.

My point stands, in relation to the OP: if FD think they can release a console version, they'll go ahead and do that when they're ready to, irrespective of our input.

Some external people think they're the only thing involved in that decision making process.

That's totally fine, rational, normal from a customers point of view. Its even positive for frontier because its a direct statement that people are willing to buy a copy of their game.

Don't you want frontier to have customers?

Top Bottom