Odyssey Progress

I've been running a short test:-
1) system
Intel i5-4670 (3.2Ghz overclocked to 4.2GHz - with water cooling)
nVidia RTX 2060 -overclocked slightly with aggressive cooling curve (Thundermaster)
16Gb RAM
Gigabyte Sniper M1 with integrated Creative sound system.
Win 10 Home 20H2
Elite Files folders excluded from Trend Micro virus checker.
2) Graphics settings -
Monitor 1980 x 1080
60Hz refresh
nVidia Control panel - prefer performance; FPS Limit to 60fps for this test
Elite Video settings
60 Hz refresh, 60Hz max, all setting to Ultra or High (whichever was the highest.
3)
Playing in Moebius - though I didn't see any other players
a) Cockpit of AspX in Hanger - 58-59 fps
b) disembark and walk/run to lifts - 56-58 fps
c) in lift - 52-56 fps
d) concourse - 37-46 fps
e) Bar area 40 fps
f) Lift-> Hanger 25 fps (as the ship was being rendered)
g) Auto launch to Iapetus 39-59 fps
h) normal space/supercruise - 60 fps
i) orbital flight - 60fps
j) SRV/walking on surface - 60fps

Using the nVidia performance overlay, the CPU was operating between 60-100% - the GP between 30-70%. The high CPU use correlates with the lowest fps.
Normally I'll use all the "High" options (not Ultra), and have nVidea control panel Max fps of 90, same in Elite settings.

Hope that helps with the investigation

Look at all these bot accounts.... Brought out the whole marketing team to cover up all the negative reviews I see. I could care less about your computer specs which you didn't even say if it worked or not. If you actually played the release Braben you would be as disgusted as we are. Fact is you released a game before it should of because your investors haven't seen anything note worthy in some time. That's why your skins are overpriced. That's why you charged people $10 dollars to test your game even though the whole community is testing it now for free. This is now why your DLC is rated 5/10 on Steam with Mostly Negative Reviews. Save your automated apologies and fix your work. If I try to pass craftsmanship like this in my field I would be out of a job.

You're joking surely.
With these new planet textures and the added interest/POIs on the planet surfaces, I am finding exploring interesting in ways it never was before. This DLC will revolutionise this game. It needs more work, but this is good so far.

There's nothing wrong with the UI.

As to the planets all being smoothed, my SRV heartily disagrees with you.
So no apology for that awful U.I. then , or planets being all ' smoothed ' . Back to Horizons for this Explorer as Odyssey has nothing for us

Greetings Commanders,
With our first hotfix now released and another one arriving very shortly, I wanted to take a moment to address the wider community feedback and reports regarding performance issues, server outages, and bug reports within Elite Dangerous Odyssey.  

First and foremost, I would like to apologise wholeheartedly to those who have been suffering from these problems. I would like to reassure you that we take these issues very seriously and that they are our top priority and focus.  

Our second hotfix will be released very soon, which we hope will address more of the reported bugs and bring further stability improvements into the game.  We will continue to work on updates which will resolve more bugs and improve stability further.

Some of our players are reporting poor performance on machines where we would expect the performance to be good, and others are saying it is fine. We are trying to get to the bottom of this. I have been playing on my old home machine from 2014, which has an Intel i7 Extreme CPU and a GTX 980 GPU, 16 Gb RAM, playing at 1080p full screen at Ultra. I was doing this so I could have a good feel for how the game was playing on older hardware, and I used this same machine during Alpha. I have also been playing on a high spec 2021 dev machine.

I would like to thank you all for your patience and support. The Elite Dangerous community has always been at the heart of the game. We understand that there are a number of players who have had problems accessing and playing the game and I can assure you that we are focusing fully on improving this for those affected and communicating with you openly and regularly about how these issues are being addressed.  

Thank you all, 

David

Wow, the big man himself writing a report. You know that's important!

I have a high-end machine myself, with a spiffy i9 Extreme CPU and RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card. No performance issues here, but I was held captive by The Orange Sidewinders for 2 days before CMDR Vulcan of Frontier_Help commenced a rescue mission for me.

Given all that experience (particularly thanks to Twitter specifically), I've put out a call to action. If you know anyone else who is held hostage to The Orange Sidewinders, send them to Frontier support, give them your CMDR name and FID, and basically a distress beacon - a simple "Please Help, I'm Stuck" will do.

o7 and Semper Bellum!

CMDR Golden-Knight, Federation Admiral and Hero of Earth
Jay

For what it's worth, this is my setup (not a gaming specific PC):

Lenovo P720 Workstation
Windows 10 Pro
Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz (2 processors)
128GB RAM
Nvidia P1000 Quadro

Horizons runs fine in 2K (only have a 2K screen), Odyssey is not even worth trying, the frame rate is so bad it's unplayable, even when staying away from planetary and on-foot gameplay.

I know the P1000 is not exactly a gaming graphics card. I would have been fine with a graphics option in Odyssey that downgrades the graphics to comparable Horizons level, so I can get at least the gameplay experience.

I wish I could buy a better graphics card, but try finding any at the moment - EVERYTHING is sold out.

I appreciate the update! A couple questions, though:
  1. Was Odyssey always designed as a standalone game? It doesn't integrate with Elite Dangerous as it was pre-Odyssey except for a few touchpoints. I can't access any mission information or that sort of thing without disembarking from my ship to access a completely separate panel that I have to travel to.
  2. Was the goal for the UI changes to obfuscate previously-accessible information? I can't seem to use the galaxy map with just a keyboard any more. I can't seem to see information about stored modules any more. Information in the data panes is harder to read or cuts information off.
Why not sell Odyssey as a completely separate experience?

Thank you for the feedback and the continuing updates and fixes...Only thing i would like to know is when our carriers will be able to travel again...Apart from that keep up the good work...

Thanks for the update and reassuring words, you guys have been doing an amazing job over the years. With all the expected bugs and servers issues for any online launch, glad to see you guys are trying stay on the ball with fixes, etc. Much appreciated and thanks again.

Thank you DB for putting a few words up. If nothing else, it's GREAT to see you stepping in to the forums for a quick word.
Don't sweat it too much - it's GREAT FUN at the moment and getting better with each patch.

Really appreciate your attention regarding performance - I'm in the same boat, testing on both a new machine, and the one I was using back in original Alpha days...

Top Bottom