Odyssey Progress

TL:DR Thanks for nothing. A former VR ED player.

Your statement is not worth the electricity to display it on my screen. You had no other choices anyways. How about delivering on some of the past empty promises? What are VR players going to get for their money?

OR if milking money out of it is really your only remaining concern, why not open up for modding? Then at least the community could fix your mess for you.

I played Elite on the ZX SPECTRUM and it was cool and great at the time, and at the moment Elite Dangerous Odyssey is the only game I've played lately. But after what the developers did with the game, I can't play it because Elite Dangerous Odyssey contains too many bugs and is an example of how you shouldn't make games.

How good and complete is the game when there is no optimization in Elite Dangerous Odyssey, there are a lot of bugs everywhere and there is absolutely no interesting game content? IMHO Elite Dangerous Odyssey is not a game - this is a preliminary alpha demo of the game. Can this unfinished chaotic set of zeros and ones with many errors be called a game?

Is it called the "Odyssey Progress"?
All these bugs and many other bugs show up after five game updates.:
Elite Dangerous Odyssey - An error occurred while landing a spacecraft on a planet.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey - The fall of the FPS in the settlement, large invisible stone indoors.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey - Here the game crashes, FPS drops, slideshow, FPS gradually drops.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey - Strong drop in FPS in the settlement, invisible stones.

Elite Dangerous Odyssey - Unable to surrender the mission

Elite Dangerous Odyssey - Invisible stones, blurry textures, round texture spots

• Tobii eye tracker 4c
  • MB : ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
  • CPU: Intel® Core i9-9900K
  • RAM: HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 3466
  • GPU: GeForce RTX™ 3090 GameRock 24GB
  • SSD : Samsung 860 PRO - 1TB
  • HDD: WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 - 2TB
  • HDD: WD10EADS-65L5B1 - 1TB
  • Keybord: Razer DeathStalker Essential
  • Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 500
  • Monitor: Philips 226CL 21.5" 1920x1080
  • Full Tower: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • Seasonic Snow Silent 1050
  • Win 10 PRO x64

Last edited:
By the looks of things, declining player numbers, I kinda doubt there will be anything to talk about.
Except maybe the epitaphs called Fleet carrier of players who stocked it with so much cash, it will last until the servers are shut down.

In its current state EDO doesn't have much to stand on, not even its scrawny space legs will hold it up.
The console players might or might not be the saving grace, but if that flops over there as well, that will be the first load of dirt on the coffin for ED. Odyssey has put enough nails into it already.

Personally, i think, IF Fdev want to salvage ED from the brink of its imminent death, they would do best by announcing a proper roadmap, what's planned, what's being worked on, and when can we expect it.
I'm not talking interiors, I'm talking meaningful gameplay.
Not just scanning rocks and stalks. You do that for an hour and you've seen it all. The planets are repetitive enough already as it is, and the vegetation is really the same too. This fungus is green, this one is yellow, and this one is blue. Sounds like the weekly paint job release. Quick recolour, push it out the door and call it a day.

I've started playing Everspace 2.
Take a small ship, fly into a big asteroid and mine crystals in there. Or find some hidden loot there.
Or explore a derelict ship, opening doors, disabling defenses, grab loot, get out!

Something simple as that could easily be translated to ED:
Can't take your anaconda or cutter into a derelict ship! But that SLF will do a perfect job!
Find the crate at the end of a well designed wreck, might even have to land and do some on foot gameplay, disable that energy barrier so you can continue with your ship, take out some turrets, pick up the salvage at the end. (Custom module? a voucher for a G5 upgrade? Be creative here!)

So much potential Fdev. Please put some creativity into it and your game will live on. At this rate, you'll be pulling the plugs on the server by the end of the year.
Going for platform merger with consoles has been the death of many great games already. Please don´t do that.
Many of the issus reported here, I can´t replicate. For me, Odyssey is absolutely playable, and I like the addition to the base game. A lot. It is more hardware-heavy, yes, but my rig can handle it.
I encountered some bugs, one (mission item clipping through container) broke the mission, but for me, I can cope with that at the low rate I encounter it. (once, so far. I failed dozens of missions because I was careless enough to provoke NPCs to open fire on me, though, by comitting crimes I didn´t think were that bad). There are far worse games out there. I´m not mentioning FarCry here. Contrary to popular opinion, I still find ED one of the most immersive games I ever encountered, and Odyssey actually added to that.
What spoils the fun most for me, is actually the wave of destructively spread disappointment throughout the player base. Confirmation bias is running wild. Yes there are issues, but in my experience not nearly as bad as reading the forums would mhave you believe, and I already witnessed the fashion wave of negativity turn players away, without them daring to try for themselves. This is hurting the community, hurting the company, and in consequence hurting the game.

The thing I am most afraid of, tbh, is a potential merger with platforms, in case that means that the same code is supposed to run on both PC and console. That could be a game breaker, as it was for other games as well, and I don´t see the necessity. People and customers should accept that the experience you get depends on the hardware you bring. Period.

3 minor things.
1) I said it before, but I say it again, because it still bugs me:
colour coding of celestial bodies in the FSS is completely nonsensical in Odyssey. It made perfect sense in Horizon, why change it? Please revert.
2) colour scheme of map objects in the galaxy map. Why change it? I know, you like your special shade of sodium 589nm-orange, but why are engineers now the same colour as bookmarks? All in all, I quite like the new map. It needed only a little getting used to, but I find it very ergonomical and usable, but the colours....why?
3) Material traders I have previously visited often do not show up in the map, in fact, no traders show up at all. Interstellar factors I used do show up, so what´s the issue? Anyone else has this problem?

Also: custom key bindings get lost frequently. In both Odyssey and Horizon. As keyboard layout can get quite complex, this is a major pain. Is there any way to save custom key bindings to a file, like some other games offer in their settings menue? That would be so amazingly convenient, to be able to restore complete key bindings by loading a file. Also, one could play around with optimizing the ergonomics of one´s layout without the fear of completely messing everything up. I would very much appreciate the option.

Thank you so much!
It was driving me nuts! Several other games require me to unplug my Flightstick, else they go into console-mode, or just go completely lateral on me. And if I didn´t check I had plugged my stick back in into the exact same port....imagine....it was a constant PITA for me...I got really good ad navigating the control menu, though...
That post may have just saved my mental sanity, thanks again.

Now: It seems to be rather straightforward. Why can´t this be linked to a button in the menu, that opens a dialog "please name file". Why? It would be like, what? 24 lines of code?

Best I can do is ask :) but sadly I wouldn't ever be so bold (knowing Elite) as to assume that it's "just 24 lines of code" hehe...

One of your predecessors said it was due in an imminent update - that was years ago and still no "Save As" button in the Options \ Controls page(s) - disgusting really, especially with the nonsense of Horizons and Oddity sharing the same startpreset.start file. :rolleyes:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
One of your predecessors said it was due in an imminent update - that was years ago and still no "Save As" button in the Options \ Controls page(s) - disgusting really, especially with the nonsense of Horizons and Oddity sharing the same startpreset.start file. :rolleyes:

'Oddity' - see what you did there.
Disgusting is a wee bit of a strong word here BUT I can totally feel your frustration for sure, especially if it was hinted at as being something that would arrive in an imminent update. I'll ask some questions, no worries :)

'Oddity' - see what you did there.
Disgusting is a wee bit of a strong word here BUT I can totally feel your frustration for sure, especially if it was hinted at as being something that would arrive in an imminent update. I'll ask some questions, no worries :)

I thought the "d" word was rather mild, sorry. It is just that here we have a game with a LOT of controls to assign, growing with every update almost and still changing anything in a preset control scheme by default produces "custom" binds - which the game happily overwrites if you are not careful. For years now we see the plaintive cries of people on the forums wondering why their binds got lost. Of course we can manually edit the files, but that is not really the point for people that a) don't come on the forum to see the method posted and b) who lack the confidence to actually do it.

Anywayup, thanks for your time. (y)

P.S. You might like to have a laugh and ask about the "living manual" that died some few updates ago (2.4).

Last edited:
Of course we can manually edit the files, but that is not really the point for people that a) don't come on the forum to see the method posted and b) who lack the confidence to actually do it.
c) who can legally expect such a feature from a professional piece of software in the year 2021(2014)

Your 'd' word is pretty much on point.

Maybe her 'breakfast radio good mood' wears off.
Wouldn't be the first, will not be the last

Best I can do is ask :) but sadly I wouldn't ever be so bold (knowing Elite) as to assume that it's "just 24 lines of code" hehe...
Thnx. For your kind reply, and for asking. I really appreciate both.
And yes, of course I was oversimplifying to the brink of hyperbole here. I am well aware it is most probably more than 24 lines of code. My own experience in coding is very, very limited, and yet I know things are more often than not a tad more complex than it seems, and I have absolutely no idea of the software contingencies in ED, whatsoever.
It just seems, in principle, solvable, and given that losing key bindings is a fairly common occurrence, I would appreciate the option so much....

Last edited:
^^ This

Save as and rename of binds and easy version id as well as individual StartPreset files for each version so you don't have to a lot of juggling when switching between EDO/EDH - you would think would have been one of the first things considered by a dev team ???

Additionally, any file that doesn't load because of a missing Device ID should generate an error and report the problem to the user instead of just loading a different bind file.

It's the lack of attention to what would seem basic "no-brainers" that destroy confidence in FD

Kudos to Sally for elevating communication to a new level - that had been dismal for far too long. Keep telling us the truth and say you don't know when you don't. It has been truly appreciated and novel in the ED forum experience going back to 2014. I'm actually surprised they haven't knee-capped you yet.

c) who can legally expect such a feature from a professional piece of software in the year 2021(2014)

Your 'd' word is pretty much on point.

Maybe her 'breakfast radio good mood' wears off.
Wouldn't be the first, will not be the last
Well, I am old. I started gaming when we regularly had to edit windows system files to get a game running, so....I would totally do that. Heck, with other games, as long as the installation folder at least seemed to make somehow sense for a human observer, I occasionally do that on my own to see if it works or if I have to re-install... ;-) I grew so used to it, that I started to miss it in the last 10 years. And then there are games that are specifically structured to be open for modding by the community, and not that I would do a lot of modding, but it´s interesting to see how a game actually works.
I may lack confidence in life occasionally, but if a file is readable in Notepad++, I can save a backup and edit it. sure. why not?

Well, I am old. I started gaming when we regularly had to edit windows system files to get a game running, so....I would totally do that. Heck, with other games, as long as the installation folder at least seemed to make somehow sense for a human observer, I occasionally do that on my own to see if it works or if I have to re-install... ;-) I grew so used to it, that I started to miss it in the last 10 years. And then there are games that are specifically structured to be open for modding by the community, and not that I would do a lot of modding, but it´s interesting to see how a game actually works.
I may lack confidence in life occasionally, but if a file is readable in Notepad++, I can save a backup and edit it. sure. why not?

The reason that I am annoyed at the lack of a "save as " button and the abandonment of the manual at version 2.4 of the game (still linked on the launcher) so that it is a) wildly out of date and b) full of inaccuracies (see the engineering section!) is that these show a disrespect to the customer (us). Bear in mind that Elite Dangerous and Horizons carry a PEGI 7 rating (Odyssey is PEGI 16) - so if the game is targeted at (or should at least accommodate) such young users then firstly the manual should be at least usable and the game should be capable of being used to the full without "modding" or file editing.

As I said - it smacks of a certain lack of respect for the customer, a "lackadaisical" approach if you will.

... the abandonment of the manual at version 2.4 of the game (still linked on the launcher) so that it is a) wildly out of date and b) full or inaccuracies (see the engineering section!) is that these show a disrespect to the customer (us). Bear in mind that Elite Dangerous and Horizons carry a PEGI 7 rating (Odyssey is PEGI 16) - so if the game is targeted at (or should at least accommodate) such young users then firstly the manual should be at least usable and the game should be capable of being used to the full without "modding" or file editing.

As I said - it smacks of a certain lack of respect for the customer, a "lackadaisical" approach if you will.
Indeed

They'd better serve the player by linking to INARA from the launcher...

Top Bottom