ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

This is in no way, shape or form a 'completely new game'. Please provide your reasoning for why this extra downloadable content (Odyssey) for the base game (Elite: Dangerous) is NOT a DLC.
I would say in the first part that the expectation is you can play Odyssey and never own a ship in the game. You need never fly a ship in the game about flying ships. I think I see where the 'completely new game' idea is coming from.

I would say in the first part that the expectation is you can play Odyssey and never own a ship in the game. You need never fly a ship in the game about flying ships. I think I see where the 'completely new game' idea is coming from.
That's fair, but it's still definitively wrong.

We might as well use correct terminology.

So where do I get the "provided" power regulator if it doesn't appear in my inventory?

...which it doesn't. Also, the mission requires me to extinguish any fires I find. Do I need to buy a fire extinguisher from somewhere?

Last time I took this mission I just headed sraight out there, expecting the "provided" power regulator to be actually provided, only to get off the shuttle and be told I was missing a[n unspecified] mission critical object. Then an NPC said "what the hell are you doing?" and shot me.

Is this what they call "gameplay"? I just call it confusion.

well, from what i can see now, odyssey is likely to be one of the smallest additions for the elite. no new ships are planned (as far as i remember from the community managers), no new srvs either.
all the areas of the stations, both terrestrial and space, are small rooms with kiosks cluttering up the walls. it feels like the stations outside of these areas are completely empty.
The shooting looks clumsy, the recoil from the weapons is not felt at all.

This is just first alpha-phase focused on Apex and missions at planets pretty much, things will change kinda lot when we get to use our ships for travelling at stations/outposts or exploring planets and their POI locations (or travel around bubble stations and outposts / planet bases more freely with Apex).

And there is also lots of upgrades, updates, bug fixes and other stuff (even new ships) still incoming even later at alpha, or later after launch.

So where do I get the "provided" power regulator if it doesn't appear in my inventory?

...which it doesn't. Also, the mission requires me to extinguish any fires I find. Do I need to buy a fire extinguisher from somewhere?

Last time I took this mission I just headed sraight out there, expecting the "provided" power regulator to be actually provided, only to get off the shuttle and be told I was missing a[n unspecified] mission critical object. Then an NPC said "what the hell are you doing?" and shot me.

Is this what they call "gameplay"? I just call it confusion.

I have to say that I have been also lost with missions, though I suck in FPS-games in general.

I have not yet even figured out how I get a ride back to station after completing a mission, if there is no place to order Apex from?

Also in one mission, I opened "container 11" as mission ordered me and provided key to unlock it, but it did not have personal document I were supposed to get in mission description (but some other stuff, that obviously were not correct for the mission).
Then again, I stumbled before that on "container" 14 that were open and had 3 "personal documents", but taking those would have been illegal though...

So yeah, kind of confused.

Right, so I need a cutting torch. Where do I get one of those? Pioneer Supplies only sell weapons and suits. Where do I get tools?

This is just a hot mess, can’t believe it’s been in development for so long, and I’m not talking about the bugs - it’s an alpha, but it’s pretty apparent to me Odyssey is just a new game focused on FPS gameplay, the absence of ship interiors isn’t an oversight, they simply haven’t bothered because it’s at least obvious to me their intentions were to simply capitalise on FPS player base.

OK so longtime player here, Founder with life time pass and ardent ‘elite feet’ supporter in the respect of what Braben and team set out to develop, that being something really immersive.

Been testing the Alpha and it’s pretty apparent that Odyssey is not ‘elite feet’ but a separate first person shooter, mocked up to look more than it actually is.

Essentially settlements are not active environments where NPCs go about conducting business, these are maps for FPS content first; scavenging etc really brought this home to me, as I moved about thinking mmm sniper point, mmm cover, mmm why put this here, these resources are just drop / loot boxes.

The stations are just empty lobbies with nothing really happened, no social nor environmental occurrences eg no NPCs sweeping the floor (that I could see) or repairing stuff, no refugees etc it was just another situation for menus, geared to engage you in FPS missions, bars were dull and lifeless.

Unless FD put some more content in (it is Alpha) this will get very dull and boring very quickly. You cant even buy a drink!

A good example is the taxi service, FD say they don’t want to implement ship interiors because it will take up players time negotiating corridors, but the taxi service straps you in a seat, where you are literally doing nothing for minutes at a time.

Now back in the day FD talked about such a thing, but with an option to mingle with NPCS and access missions etc, but simply looking around shows you how little they have thought this out regards to Odyssey.

The taxis have a minimum number of seats (all empty), and these are ships which can haul tonnes and where internal space is a premium! If this was better thought out they would have implemented a simple ramp and filled every inch with seats.

At most the taxi service I feel is to ferry players to fights in safety, and avoid griefers. It will basically cut the player base in two, FPS types and sim types).

Overall the feeling I got is yup, this isn’t feet, and it put me in mind of what Braben said when Odyssey was launched ‘some people aren’t going to be happy’. And I think he was including himself in that.

It’s apparent to me at least that FD has lost its way. All of the really cool ideas proposed have never materialised, they have always settled for the easiest option, I used to put this down to limited imagination but I now believe it’s simple corporate greed, it works, it’s cheap - use it, does it work, keep it and move on.

I do feel FD have over a number of years aimed at producing elite feet in a manner which was immersive and intelligent, the evidence is extensive, but these ideas and development leaders have fallen by the wayside over and over, to the point where they actually archived much of their previous content, that’s the point I lost faith.

Currently FD have at least been very helpful in confirming my suspicions and that Elite Dangerous is no longer on the path set out by Braben, it’s something else. It’s not dead, but I am pretty certain it’s not going to be improved.

This is it, it ain’t getting any better.

Last edited:
This is just a hot mess, can’t believe it’s been in development for so long, and I’m not talking about the bugs - it’s an alpha, but it’s pretty apparent to me Odyssey is just a new game focused on FPS gameplay, the absence of ship interiors isn’t an oversight, they simply haven’t bothered because it’s at least obvious to me their intentions were to simply capitalise on FPS player base.

For me, as a teenager playing Elite back from Elite 2 and EFF, this is one step towards more immersion and "ideal Elite" + more / better quality planets, not to even mention all those THOUSANDS of different kind of stations / outposts / ground bases there will be soon available (as all of the 27 times X times X factors are mixed at their interiors, much more important to me than JUST some 40 different ship interiors with no life...).

I were never actually that much interested about FPS-shooter elements or "Apex-taxi" we can test now, but how Odyssey will eventually wider the space and area (even through foot) in the universe I can experience more and better than before (such as more and better quality planets, and many different possible variations of station / outpost /ground base interiors and each having even their different views from the windows).

Also, I can already see how Odyssey can give hope that even more, such as ship interiors and more complex planets, are not that though to do or that far away in the future.

Edit; And btw taking a Apex -taxi is not a guarantee you will not be interdicted and / or killed by another player in the Open.

Last edited:
For me, as a teenager playing Elite back from Elite 2 and EFF, this is one step towards more immersion and "ideal Elite" + more / better quality planets, not to even mention all those THOUSANDS of different kind of stations / outposts / ground bases there will be soon available (as all of the 27 times X times X factors are mixed at their interiors, much more important to me than JUST some 40 different ship interiors with no life...).

I were never actually that much interested about FPS-shooter elements or "Apex-taxi" we can test now, but how Odyssey will eventually wider the space and area (even through foot) in the universe I can experience more and better than before (such as more and better quality planets, and many different possible variations of station / outpost /ground base interiors and each having even their different views from the windows).

Also, I can already see how Odyssey can give hope that even more, such as ship interiors and more complex planets, are not that though to do or that far away in the future.
Let’s hope so, I appreciate your optimism, and I do hope they utilise Odyssey to expand upon...I honestly really do.

More life FD, more life.

Last edited:
Gotta admit I am mightily frustrated having spent hours failing missions to finally succeed in gaining the objective (collect documents) just to be destroyed in the Apex shuttle while taking off to return to the mission giver. It seems base security weren't impressed with me breaking into their facility and the patrol ship blew me and the poor Apex pilot to smithereens as we took off. so frustrating but really fun and enthralling while figuring out how to achieve my goals.

Top Bottom