ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

I also do not understand - why not let download 75 GB of Odyssey now?
Fun fact - these pre-downloads are encrypted, and decrypting can on many machines take longer than re-download :D. If you are on Steam and not relying on poor FDev DL infrastructure, you should be good anyway because Steam's download network is nothing short of excellent. Even in my backwater country I have a fast Steam mirror :D

Wait a minute? Is there a manual? I think i forgot about it!
It's a button on the launcher mate!
RTFM manual.jpg

Last edited:
Since the basic game, Horizons and Odyssey are/will be separate on the launcher - Do we have to run an update for Horizons as a separate exercise to downloading and installing Odyssey (epsecially on Epic)?

Since the basic game, Horizons and Odyssey are/will be separate on the launcher - Do we have to run an update for Horizons as a separate exercise to downloading and installing Odyssey (epsecially on Epic)?
Better question: Will the Epic store notice we've already got the files via Steam and not bother wasting bandwidth downloading all 75GB of them again, and vice versa, or is that too much to ask?

Better question: Will the Epic store notice we've already got the files via Steam and not bother wasting bandwidth downloading all 75GB of them again, and vice versa, or is that too much to ask?
Would you like Epic sniffing through other program files or all files on your harddrive? I think you can try to copy the game files and maybe it will work, maybe not...

You can copie your ED steam install folder and place it where ever you wanna install it with epic.
or start the installation with the Epic Lauchner and copie the files from your Steam installation in the Epic install folder.

Epic will check the files and no extra download is needed.

worked for me yesterday

Origin and Uplay or whatever it's called these days lets you "locate installed game" by pointing to install directory, same with battle.net. In steam "it just works" if the game is in a steam library folder. IDK about epic, use that only sparringly.

EDIT: ninja'd

To add to the download time discussion. Some of us have the 50gig or so Alpha files downloaded on our HDD's could it cut down the download time if you moved all files from PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64 to elite-dangerous-64-odyssey ?

To add to the download time discussion. Some of us have the 50gig or so Alpha files downloaded on our HDD's could it cut down the download time if you moved all files from PUBLIC_TEST_SERVER_64 to elite-dangerous-64-odyssey ?
You could try that but I doubt it will save you any significant time.
If they are delta patching then they need a reference file state and checksum which they probably didn't prepare for such case.

I will add to this thread rather than start a new one.
I am a beta backer and I had DLd Odyssey Alpha. Today I reinstalled to a new drive and the option for the alpha is no longer in the menu! Has access been discontinued or do I have a local problem to take up with support?
Thanks for any replies.
The beta is no longer showing on my menu I am assuming it will reinstate after I download the client update

Top Bottom