Open Gun-ports = open for pvp : Pilots federations rule of the duel

Simply put: if non-PvPers did all that, then they would be PvPers. Having the desire, will, time, interest, and inclination to do all that is what makes a PvPer a PvPer in the first place. It's like a bird asking a fish why they don't fly.

Which is the point in a circular way- unless you are prepared in a mode that allows any action you are not really approaching it correctly. You have to play to the mode, not expect the mode to play to you.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right of course, I guess my problem is I don't really trust people and people helpfully confirm me in my beliefs that they are selfish, ignorant, cowardly, unkind and just plain horrible.

Fortunately I sometimes run into the proverbial exception to the rule which is why I even bother with antidepressants...
It's a game.
Take any explosion as a learning experience.
Hedge your bets by preparing for the worst, as Rubbernuke said.

And go out there, find people!

Really, I met amazing people in this game, be it the Operation Ida truckers, Fuel rats, Teabaggers, Gankers, White Knights and last but not least the people
I have the honor of flying with every day in my squadron.
This game is soooo amazing with friends, with common goals, writing your own story... Go out there, find CMDRs with similar interests to yours,
and enjoy everything this wonderful game has to offer.

There is a whole universe out there, and PvP is just such a small part of it.

Chivalry is for interacting with women, and there are no women on the internet.
Kid, you know I don’t react kindly to that kind of humor. there have been women on the internet and in software development since long before you were born.
We’ve had PM’s conversations about this attitude of yours before.

Kid, you know I don’t react kindly to that kind of humor. there have been women on the internet and in software development since long before you were born.
We’ve had PM’s conversations about this attitude of yours before.

BREAKING: Man takes memes as old the the internet to heart and grows offended.
"I'll show my age and therefore that I should be listened to by referring to people as 'kid', that'll teach 'em!" he continued, oblivious to tongue in cheek wording.

This is a pretty lame suggestion, real pirates are going to take what they can get, chivalry is not relevant so even following this wont keep you safe if you run into someone doing real role play - if you worry about griefers then play in a private group, thats what they are for.

The fact that this version of Elite is called "Dangerous" has a lot more to do with the devs trying to make the game sound fun than it does with any logic that says a game name must be reflected in all aspects of the game ("Elite Grind" or "Elite Illogical" or "Elite, better than Star Citizan but still only just about finished" dont sound anyway near as fun).

I’m not disagreeing, but its our combined attitude that promotes and encourages
them and resign open to amateur pvp’ers

Proper pvp’s organize and foster a
gameplay with consent.
So why not take that as a community rule?

Im Not Saying you can’t be a Major AHole online, please I’m one of the major ones you can meet ;)
Gun-port rule of thumb enables more fun ways for everyone to relax and play together in different ways as it factors into keeping to the Role-playing as a nefarious person.

but it definitely puts more guilt of being an aHole on the people who do choose random violates another players gaming session.

Last edited:
Because open.

Seriously, this has been done to death.

Going to open means everything goes.

You want to be left alone from PvP? Don't log into open.
But that would leave the player who wants non consenting targets with nothing to shoot at, so it doesn’t help.

I’m not disagreeing, but its our combined attitude that promotes and encourages
them and resign open to amateur pvp’ers

Proper pvp’s organize and foster a
gameplay with consent.
So why not take that as a community rule?

Im Not Saying you can’t be a Major AHole online, please I’m one of the major ones you can meet ;)
Gun-port rule of thumb enables more fun ways for everyone to relax and play together in different ways as it factors into keeping to the Role-playing as a nefarious person.

but it definitely puts more guilt of being an aHole on the people who do choose random violates another players gaming session.
The problem is you are trying to establish the rules the community will live by after the community has been running for years and evolved its own rules.

What I find odd is that gankers and PvP guys know the power of organisation and wings / squadrons. Why is it the reverse is not true? Why is it people in Open who don't want PvP fly better ships, fly defensively and fly together for mutual protection? You want social interaction but your social interaction, on your terms. If you know a place is rife with gankers either avoid it, go to another mode, or tool up and get in a wing.
Good insight! I always kind of wondered this too - same tools available to everyone, why are there not more anti-gankers?
(That being said, i was in Deciat engineering last night and SPEAR were keeping the Gankers VERY busy)
However.....this thread is getting all very 'California-y' so i'll just say......

@Boff'in (and dare i say @Murgle) PvPers pretty much do what you want them to do already!
Seriously - if you bump into a random bunch of PvPers, they're likely to either ignore you....or invite you to join in! (Emphasis on the invite)
Gankers on the other hand....even IF they see your message....well, I'm sure you can figure it out :eek:

I guess what I'm saying is, outside of the hotspots, experience has taught me the game is already what you want it to be! 🤷‍♀️

PS - Join a Squad! 🤗

The problem is you are trying to establish the rules the community will live by after the community has been running for years and evolved its own rules.
Even then, trying to set up "community rules" doesn't mean jack if you've not got anything to back it up. Look how it went for the guys in colonia when a new group showed up that weren't a party to their collective bundle of existing treaties and agreements as to which groups had a claim on what systems.
"But we agreed that our faction would have that system!"
"who agreed"
"all of us!"
"I wasn't there, I didn't agree."
"but... we did! That system's ours!"
"funny, the name next to where it says controlling faction seems to read otherwise"

After more than 4 years, I got Elite status and flew into Jameson’s memorial station and I wanted to be in open, in my Adder for the occasion to socialize my achievement...... On a Friday night no less, I’m no fooI, I kept an eye on my radar of signs of other players.

I didn’t get attacked, but I did get a tail. However, the chat in the station revolved around a player killing another player and it the aggressor was open and friendly about their decision making process. And after years of listening and playing, I sider with the aggressor. Open means being open to all sorts of player interaction. And I felt hypocritical, as I don’t.
So I decided to formalize a Simple rule of thumb, which that commander tried to use, and I believed in in my naive early days as well.

So spread this around if you agree, to make it an unofficial rule.

OPENED GUN-PORTS = Consent for combat

CLOSED GUN-PORTS = I don’t want to play your game.

So spread this around if you agree, to make it an unofficial rule.
If a player Opens their Gun-ports it means they are a consenting to an open fight.

By Closing gun-ports It means they submit from the fight and it should be respected!!!!!

To be more specific (as there are “grey zones”)
Close all gun ports.
Turn off silent running.
Come to a Full stop.
Power down engines.
Power down weapons.
Power down shields.
Power down FSD.

Turn on report crimes.

By all means take them down to 10% hull but no less, they have submitted!
Help fix their canopy if you got repair limpets,
Just so you know you got them back to base.
(Who said chivalry is dead!)

Forum's haunted.

racks shotgun

Then that raises the question: Why?

Other than the obvious of course, such as: people who do not like PvP aren't going to be prepared for it and probably aren't very good at it so I can feel really badass while have little to no skill whatsoever.

Or maybe, people who do not enjoy PvP are going to be very upset when I blow them up and I, being an asphole, get off on making strangers feel bad.

Or it might be as simple as not caring about other players because you are selfish and putting your own enjoyment over that of ever one else's...

So just explain to me why you think it's so important you get to impose your play-style onto others whether they like it or not because honestly I do not understand why you are so important you get to dictate the rules of engagement...

Convince me that players insisting on non-consensual PvP aren't horrible people...if you can.

You don't play in Open. You said it yourself. Far as I'm concerned you've got no standing to meaningfully comment on the matter.

I play sometimes in Open and I can't think of any reasons other than the ones he's listed.

cracks knuckles

This conversation is tiresome so I'm going to go ahead and break it down as clearly as I can.

You can't think of reason beyond what Murgle has raised because you refuse. Anyone that engages in PvP can't possibly be doing it for any other reason than to ruin someone's fun. This betrays an extraordinary dearth of imagination.

Other than the obvious of course, such as: people who do not like PvP aren't going to be prepared for it and probably aren't very good at it so I can feel really badass while have little to no skill whatsoever.

Or maybe, people who do not enjoy PvP are going to be very upset when I blow them up and I, being an asphole, get off on making strangers feel bad.

Or it might be as simple as not caring about other players because you are selfish and putting your own enjoyment over that of ever one else's...

So just explain to me why you think it's so important you get to impose your play-style onto others whether they like it or not because honestly I do not understand why you are so important you get to dictate the rules of engagement...

Convince me that players insisting on non-consensual PvP aren't horrible people...if you can.

First off of course they're not horrible people. Don't be silly.

Second, Open Play allows for unrestricted PvP. That's core to the rules and the experience. If you can't accept that it's your problem.

As far as the motivations of the people in the game you've got three: I like making people feel bad, I'm selfish, I just want to dominate others.

Even then, trying to set up "community rules" doesn't mean jack if you've not got anything to back it up. Look how it went for the guys in colonia when a new group showed up that weren't a party to their collective bundle of existing treaties and agreements as to which groups had a claim on what systems.
"But we agreed that our faction would have that system!"
"who agreed"
"all of us!"
"I wasn't there, I didn't agree."
"but... we did! That system's ours!"
"funny, the name next to where it says controlling faction seems to read otherwise"

Mr. Screemonster is talking about me and my group, Loren's Reapers. In case you've forgotten, about a year ago we mounted up and headed out to Colonia. Our goal was to flip Carcosa to control of the Nameless.

Why? Because gee golly, it sounded like a lot of fun! Nothing more, nothing less.

PvP was of course part of our strategy because we play the entire game. The agreement Scree refers to is the Jaques' Accords. Here's a copy of it:

unknown.png

If you want to know why Colonia used to be so unfriendly towards PvP here's a big part of the reason why. Of course, we somewhat famously don't follow the rules and shot down more than a few explorers from enemy groups (especially when we caught them in Carcosa working for Explorer's Nation).

Over everything that's been posted about our adventures on this forum - all the laughs, the fun, the drama, the good feelings in spite of fighting each other - can you honestly say we engage in PvP just to ruin people's fun? There are countless examples of this kind of thing all over the Bubble. It's funny you and so many others have never, ever noticed after all these years.

And furthermore, you can't think of a single reason why someone would do PvP other than to ruin someone's fun?

I don't buy it, buddy. You don't want to believe it because you, and so many others, just hate adversity - especially when it comes from a player - and so the colloquial you take to the forums to fight it out instead.

Top Bottom