Passenger Missions and Scanning

Should not being scanned be removed from the Passenger Missions?

• I feel you bro. They should remove that.

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • No you're just straight crazy Adhock.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Just don't take the mission you goof!

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Reduce the frequency of scanning and all will be well.

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Meh. Don't care.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I challenge you to a Fish Pie Duel!

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • FREE BACON!

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • DAMN IT IAN! QUIT ADDING TO MY POLLS!!!

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I agree with the OP in large part.

I can understand why criminals wouldn't like being scanned. However, the tourist VIP who wants to visit VY Canis Majoris, why does she get her panties in a bunch over being scanned? She's a damn tourist.

But she's not with her husband, if ya know what I mean. Doesn't want to get scanned which is data the husband could utilize in a divorce.

Escape pods? I've never seen them. Any time my passengers have gotten scanned to the point of failure, they just demand to be dropped off anywhere and I wind up making nothing from them.

Then don't drop them off next time or make sure to do it before their timer they set for you to accomplish the drop has expired.

Then don't drop them off next time or make sure to do it before their timer they set for you to accomplish the drop has expired.

Though I don't deliberately haul 1st class passenger, they have to many demands. I will use the cabin to upgrade a passenger with special needs as one might say to the next level. Doing so makes them happy and basically gives you an additonal room for complaints. Where as a special needs has paid for econmy you can have one or two complaints before loosing reward, upgrading them gives you the ability to receive 3 complaints or dislikes if you will before not paying you. You can mistreat the hell out of a economy passenger upgraded to first class.

One other point, when reading messages from passenger asking for various items or alternatives to routing like taking them to a whole differnet system, don't ackowled them. Reading it, and simply close it. Should you acknowledge it, your commited to doing it, if you don't it's like you never got the memo.

Every mission is spelled out on the bulletin board, I never do anymore than what they originally paid for. And the times I did during my first missions, never work out to be conducive to me.

I only wish that guy that wants your passengers to be delivered somewhere else as slave for considerably less than the passenger reward pays, would contact me when I know or realize, I've got a ticked off passenger that I'd give for free. If he would contact me then, but they never do. I think FDev has that part backwards.

Why if a load of refugee's that pays a million to go somewhere would I want to detour to a destination which is generally farther for less money. That doesn't make sense, so I never comply. However, if the same offer came in, and I had a disgrunted passenger, than yes, the extra distance is ok, after all, you already know the passenger isn't going to pay. And being sold into slavery is what, they deserve.

I have made these missions work, but a few points already mentioned are crucial IMO:

1. Give me ways to avoid being scanned, or to delay/interfere with the scan. As is, it's just a coin toss. Tails I'm scanned too bad.
2. NPCs that attack and scan at the same time, need to be limited to the same capabilities as CMDRs.
3. Scans need to COMPLETE before my Passenger becomes upset. IIRC, it's just starting a scan that makes the Passengers upset, not a completed scan. This makes point #1 impossible, and sets up scenarios where NPCs repeatedly attempting to scan cause rapid decreases in Passenger satisfaction and even mission loss. Heck I sometimes even see Passengers who aren't secretive get a Mission Update immediately as the Police scan my ship at a station. It's probably just a bug that the Mission Update is even shown (since the Passenger doesn't actually care and doesn't decrease in happiness). But still, you can see the trigger happening on the scan beginning, rather than completion.

But the big and important thing is point #1. Give us a gameplay way to avoid these scans. Either via outfitting hardware that will delay/disrupt a scan, or by building ships that can drop off the scan via silent running, etc. As far as I'm aware, none of those things actually work vs. scans, at present.

And I wish they did work. I used to enjoy the thrill of going silent and sneaking into a station, back ages ago when I seem to recall those things actually working. Or maybe it was just my imagination.

Oh, and this is something that I wish could be added to a thread/list about suggestions for the upcoming QoL updates. I hope there will be a thread devoted to and maintained for that purpose.

I think scanning in itself is fine, but I think the passenger happiness / fail counter should only be affected when the scans are completed by :

a) an authority ship belonging to an faction that actually wants the passenger
b) pirates / bounty hunters specifically targeting that passenger

Any scans by authorities from non-interested factions should have no effect.

Or allow us to purchase some sort of module that hinders scans in some way - makes them take longer perhaps, or requires the scanning ship to be much closer than normal. Scan Inhibitor™

Last edited:
It's because they are famous, You said it. I use my imagination to fill in the reasons. Famous people get fed up of constantly being recognised, privacy becomes the one thing money can't always buy. You get scanned, the word spreads where they are, it's on record at the station you picked them up from where their final destination is, so they get mobbed when you finally drop them off and spend the rest of their holiday dealing with unwanted attention.....
I like it... so maybe step it up then. Paparazzi, PI's and pirate inderictions and scans upset the famous but not system authorities since they should keep the data secure. Any scan upsets the criminals. Still should be a slightly higher percentage that aren't worried about scans

Last edited:
This nonsense missions are still on. Why this crap is offered if you cannot even leave the station where the mission is offered to you since there is a persistant scan when leaving the station. Why should a supermarket offer products if you cannot take them with you??? This is just unbelievable stupid and a total waste of time. The responsible mission writer should keep in mind that the main reason of missions should be entertainment since the whole thing here is a game. To put the player in an unsolvable situation will end in frustration. Period. There is no room for maybes or eventuallies. Just acept it and write entertaining missions because this exactly is your job.

Sorry for the direct words but there are more than enough people involved to this topic.

Kind regards

threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg

So I recently failed a lucrative 2 Mill passenger contract.

Why?

I kept getting scanned.

Which was difficult to avoid.

I got scanned right off the bat exiting the station which decreased his happiness because he's secretive and didn't like being scanned.

During our little romp through the galaxy I'd reached all three destinations when he gave me a mission to kill three NPC's that were trying to kill him.

Which meant MORE ship scans. First I'd get scanned by the Pirate trying to kill me. THEN scanned by the Authority Ships that show up BEFORE they help me kill the pirate and then a scan AFTER they helped me kill the ship pirate.

I lost the contract and there went 2 million. Just on my final leg home.

What a disappointment.

Does anybody else think that not getting scanned should just not be a thing with passenger missions anymore given the frequency of being scanned or am I just crazy?

NOTE: Poll Mockery is still in effect so everybody gets 2.

There are many specifics to the missions, if you don't see the warnings or don't understand what they mean, then that's how you learn.
The jist of a secretive passenger is he does not want to be scanned, plain and simple.
If you are stacking so you also have a wanted or high value passenger, then learn that this is a bad combination unless you are very good at winning the interdictions.
Keep in mind for such a mission that can pay several million, is the bonus reward of killing an attacker for 100k to 200k per kill really worth it?....NO.
I do ones like this a lot that are worth 9mil+, totally stupid to risk that and the INF or REP that I really want, for peanuts.
If for either of these or the combination of these you decide to fight attackers, again..this is how you learn.
The idea is to take them to where they want to go and don't get in fights and don't get scanned
I do lots of these on a regular basis and its too easy to not get into fights that are quite pointless, and to not get scanned.
This really only becomes a problem when you are combining mission types, but even then its not really a problem as the idea is to succeed, not to get sidetracked with useless fights that could easily cost you your ship, the passengers, the missions or all of these.
I do most of mine in a conda with first class cabins and its also loaded for bear so I can fight, but its wiser to evade than to risk losing the missions.
and even in a slow conda, its too easy to avoid the scans. Don't engage in a fight is you have passengers that don't want to be scanned - aka secretive...
don't combine the secretive passengers with wanted or high value passengers unless you don't care if you lose the secretive passenger mission or are more than able to win interdictions and are capable of entering the destination station without being scanned.

My only real point here is there are different levels of difficulty for various missions for many reasons, either learn to deal with them or don't do them, asking for them to be nerfed is just taking away from those players that can do them and like very much the idea that there are different levels of difficulty in something that people think should be so simple.
If all missions were equally simple, where would the fun or the challenge be?

Very helpful! Congratulations

To all who come up with solutions, I got a question for you. What do you guys don't understand, that there is absolutely NO SOLUTION, if you cannot even leave the station where you got the mission. Do you guys finally understand that?

Have you tried running silent mode as you're leaving the station and getting the hell out of Dodge before the authorities get to scan you? I haven't been to the bubble in a very long time but I remember that coming in and out of stations, silent running was sort of a surefire way to avoid scans.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom