Pay2Win made it to Elite

Well they have increased the difficulty of high level NPCs a few times, and it's normally met with an outcry. I would also say that the example I gave I don't think is dependant on RPG character levels. It's about game progression.
As every MMO of any kind gets older, progression gets quicker and easier.
Yeah, Elite's mistake here is not having zones with tougher enemies, just encounters (with pirate activity, hazres etc) that aren't really worth doing for the difficulty/reward. The thargoid controlled systems kinda go in that direction but the threats end up just being an annoyance at this time.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Yeah, Elite's mistake here is not having zones with tougher enemies, just encounters (with pirate activity, hazres etc) that aren't really worth doing for the difficulty/reward. The thargoid controlled systems kinda go in that direction but the threats end up just being an annoyance at this time.
They would probably just be accused of copying EvE if they did 😏

Well they have increased the difficulty of high level NPCs a few times, and it's normally met with an outcry. I would also say that the example I gave I don't think is dependant on RPG character levels. It's about game progression.
As every MMO of any kind gets older, progression gets quicker and easier.

I must've been playing the right kind of MMOs then. Elite Dangerous has been a bit of an anomaly in my experience. But then again, I've favored playing more "virtual life" games than level-based ones.

Just because people advocate something doesn't necessarily make it a good thing in a different context.
How do you rationalize learning lessons from past games to be bad though? Or more specifically how would areas where people really got to flex their engineered ships in this case be bad?

Generally for sure not. Eve? Eehhh...
You mean to genuinely tell me that in the whole of that game you think there are 0 good ideas that ED could use after a few tweaks to fit in?

The entire Thargoid War could have been a DLC. It could have been called Thargoid Expansion Pack. Access to the rescue ships, missions, and new AX modules provided through the DLC. Thargoid updates released in the same kinda schedule to those that purchase the Thargoid DLC. Players without the DLC can enter systems and get shot-up, but that's about it.

This would have been Pay-To-Play. And I would have been happy to pay $30 for this.
It's not worth 30€ with how buggy and unbalanced it was/is and how most of the early content there was "usual elite activities/missions but with thargoids".

It's not all bad and it wasn't bad content, especially the spires/titan stuff for the atmosphere, but it'd be incredibly overpriced, especially after they burnt all their goodwill with the odyssey expansion and still needed(still should) to fix many bugs around the time the thargoid war started.

I'm looking at the Thargoid War content with titans and spire sites and eventual extra ships as "extra odyssey content" and itd almost be worth recommending with all that in a year or two when all the new ships release. But I can't recommend it with the added prebuilt microtransactions, esp if they're so ill concieved and bad value and the prices for everything else are raised too.

yes, 13 yr old game that still attracts players. yes, when that time of year comes i want to play, not think. im sorry you dont like it now, but it sounds like you had a good time for a while with it(?).
if you would prefer noone played it to appease your need for challenge from a 13 yr old game then thats a perfectly valid preference. but im glad that i can enjoy a game anytime without sweating and metacrafting and what have you...
Well, I loved it until 4.xx .. then I tried later versions for 6-8 months. In the last 2 years I played it 7-9 times total. However, uninstalled 2 months ago.
It is too easy now. I can use 1 character. Enter 1 FP-master, kill the 1st boss, exit / reset / repeat. It takes 7 mins 50 seconds for my stealth tank. Or I can just complete whole FP in 40 mins. It was ways faster than await randoms.
So, in 1 week of such grind I got full set for tank, for healer and so on.
It is too easy and too fast. Not comparable with version 1 which had each piece of gear locked to the exact place in story. So you had to visit them all.

How do you rationalize learning lessons from past games to be bad though?
I don't.
I said that just because someone advocates something doesn't make it good.

It might be a good thing in a different game but that doesn't automatically make it good here.

Or more specifically how would areas where people really got to flex their engineered ships in this case be bad?
I have no idea. But there are some ingenious players in this game so I am sure that it could be turned that way.

The Thargoid war, PP2, new ships, Galnet, holiday events, etc, are "season content" by another name, as far as I am concerned, for the galaxy at large, and evolving the game.

Smaller but more involved scripted story lines played in dedicated instances and sold as DLC, though? -Bring them on!
I'll take ones with only existing assets and exposition only in writing for the first few -- you can bring in the custom locations and performance capture once back on your feet, financially.

It's not worth 30€ with how buggy and unbalanced it was/is and how most of the early content there was "usual elite activities/missions but with thargoids".

It's not all bad and it wasn't bad content, especially the spires/titan stuff for the atmosphere, but it'd be incredibly overpriced, especially after they burnt all their goodwill with the odyssey expansion and still needed(still should) to fix many bugs around the time the thargoid war started.
I agree about the customer goodwill that got burnt out from Odessey. So a Thargoid Expansion Pack priced as low as $10.00 released while Frontier was still doing bits of Odessey cleanup probably wouldn't have done well.

But under normal conditions a $30 expansion pack that players pay for (effectively in advance because the content gets rolled out over time) would give the developers cash up-front to pay for more development costs. Theoretically producing a better bug-free addition to the game when compared to the Thargoid war that was released. I wonder if this was the original plan before the Odessey disaster. I wonder this because the Thargoid War appears to be designed such that it could be easily gated.

But ya, customer goodwill is pretty burnt out.

It might be a good thing in a different game but that doesn't automatically make it good here.
Yeah, that's why you look for specific things or challenges your game will face that may be pre-solved rather than copy wholesale and sod the consequences. Learning from past games doesn't mean do everything they did uncritically.

I have no idea. But there are some ingenious players in this game so I am sure that it could be turned that way.
That's true of anything. It's like saying "don't add content because someone might find a way to abuse it."

Last edited:

Is that a bad thing? For years I swear I've seen people advocate for learning lessons from other space games that came before ED, Eve among them.
When I first read the kickstarter pitch for Elite Dangerous my immediate thought was "EVE mixed with a flight sim" and backed immediately. Unfortunately we didn't quite get that.

Level based zones are older than EVE and there's multiple ways to do it. I actually remember playing some flash based game where the core idea was that you run a MMO and create/set zones for adventurers and they level up/get gear without your input depending on how well you do it.

But under normal conditions a $30 expansion pack that players pay for (effectively in advance because the content gets rolled out over time) would give the developers cash up-front to pay for more development costs. Theoretically producing a better bug-free addition to the game when compared to the Thargoid war that was released. I wonder if this was the original plan before the Odessey disaster. I wonder this because the Thargoid War appears to be designed such that it could be easily gated.
I think if odyssey had succeeded and been good/bug free then the thargoid war would've been a great way to keep the hype going for years instead of a spark of hope in a game that's otherwise in a pretty bad state still.

With a Thargoid War expansion you'd still have the same problem as with Odyssey - a missing core feature players want whether its good or not, ship interiors in case of odyssey and on-foot thargoids in case of the thargoid war (more than just reskinned skimmers/goliaths with different weapons that we have for now).

Games that copy/want to be like other games don't last long. Only games that are their own thing last. That is why WoW has outlived all it's clones, that is why Guild Wars 2 still lives, that is why BDO is still one of the most played MMOs. WoW was simply the first, and the others found their niche by not copying that. Elite has a niche of it's own.

When I first read the kickstarter pitch for Elite Dangerous my immediate thought was "EVE mixed with a flight sim" and backed immediately. Unfortunately we didn't quite get that.
I never felt elite was pitched like that personally. indeed I would have been majorly put of if it had been.
it doesn't help however that there were mixed messages from FD and ultimately you could probably find an interview or dev diary to support any opinion of what elite was gonna be.

Last edited:
Games that copy/want to be like other games don't last long. Only games that are their own thing last. That is why WoW has outlived all it's clones, that is why Guild Wars 2 still lives, that is why BDO is still one of the most played MMOs. WoW was simply the first, and the others found their niche by not copying that. Elite has a niche of it's own.
WoW copied Everquest tho? It was just polished and accessible, just a plain good game with a popular IP to back it up.

Elite is the same way, except for space sims it's about flight model, graphics and amount of Jank (and how well the game hides it) all of which it excelled at until odyssey shifted the focus.

The original Elite was the first in many things and before playing ED, I played many games that took inspiration from it, but did so poorly. Never played the original and never realized they were all copying it until ED.

WoW copied Everquest tho? It was just polished and accessible, just a plain good game with a popular IP to back it up.

Elite is the same way, except for space sims it's about flight model, graphics and amount of Jank (and how well the game hides it) all of which it excelled at until odyssey shifted the focus.

The original Elite was the first in many things and before playing ED, I played many games that took inspiration from it, but did so poorly. Never played the original and never realized they were all copying it until ED.
Well, ED is the fourth iteration of Elite, with the same head behind it and the first in the series that has made the whole galaxy accessible. It was already there in the two prequels, but Hyperdrive technology was very different in that time period. It was more like a warp drive, actually takimg time to arrive, and with faster and slower versions. You could with the right ship scan another ship's wake, follow the jump and arrive there first, just laying in wait for the slower ship to make it. But you couldn't get very far out of the human bubble, since those hyperdrives broke down after one year without maintenance.

Top Bottom