Pay2Win made it to Elite

I don't see the big deal here, I personally don't mind the way Frontier are headed. The choice is the players either support the continuance of the game or not. The latter seeing the end of one of the best games I have played. I don't see it a "pay to win", "pay to skip" or any other phrase folk wish to make.
There will always be those screaming such nonsence.
The questions how much do you like playing the game? Would you like to see this game die?

Yeah, that's the thing; in this game, cash is basically the least important thing you can have. The main place this will help people is, if the builds are any good, knowing what they actually need to succeed. A lot of new players have no idea how to outfit their ships, and many May quit because of frustration.

I don't anticipate this having much impact in the established player base.

I don't see the big deal here, I personally don't mind the way Frontier are headed. The choice is the players either support the continuance of the game or not. The latter seeing the end of one of the best games I have played. I don't see it a "pay to win", "pay to skip" or any other phrase folk wish to make.
There will always be those screaming such nonsence.
The questions how much do you like playing the game? Would you like to see this game die?
When it comes to micotransactions and P2W stuff it's bes to err on the side of being overly cynical and critical of them, even what seems like unreasonably so. This is because of the actions and practices of the game industry at large.

I'd rather see Elite die than see it turn into something so off-putting that I don't even want to think of the good memories I've had with the game.

When it comes to micotransactions and P2W stuff it's bes to err on the side of being overly cynical and critical of them, even what seems like unreasonably so. This is because of the actions and practices of the game industry at large.

I'd rather see Elite die than see it turn into something so off-putting that I don't even want to think of the good memories I've had with the game.
So, where are these micro transactions? My understanding is, these prebuilt ships will be from ingame cradits.

So, where are these micro transactions? My understanding is, these prebuilt ships will be from ingame cradits.

We’re also going to be introducing a new category in the Elite Dangerous gamestore: Pre-built Ships. Pre-Built Ship packages will offer Commanders the opportunity to purchase ships that have been given a significant upgrade from their base models.

The gamestore refers to the ARX store not the in-game shipyard.

this is absolutely unreal. If im being honest i was warming up to fdev, they seemed to be doing all the right things lately. It has not become painfully obvious that it was all a front for this absolute farce.
im all for monetization, but this is not the way to do it. Why not a monthly sub? id happily throw 30 or so euros fdevs way...
This has been discussed in the forums. the consensus was many would not be happy with what would be effectively an obligatory arrangement. And with that cost being 360 eurous per year. This game would need to be a hell of a lot more compelling.

Flimley

Last edited:
When we manage to play together, there's not much he can do, even though he knows what needs to be done (and I have helped him a lot).
Here's what could have been done about this:
  • give players an initial stash of mats so that they can get engineering going
  • rebalance engineering and NPCs so that playing with a vanilla or light engineered ship would still be possible
  • reduce the price curve of ships so that players can get to the ship they like sooner (and also buy MTX for that ship sooner ka-ching!)
  • allow P2P transfers of credits and mats
  • allow players to sell or gift engineered modules to other players/friends
  • implement ship sharing in squadrons
But I guess selling the final product for real life money is the best choice in end, because... what was the word again? I remember a the best gaming company in the world came up with it.... ah yes, this will give CMDRs a sense or pride and accomplishment.

Ain’t pay to win if you can grind the same results for free
It’s helping new players overcome the grind, as well as people who don’t have a lot of time
It’s providing Fdev with some much needed profits to continue to work on this awesome game
And you can already buy engineered gear for on-foot gameplay
Depending on how it’s implemented, I think it spells good things for the future

ED is first of all a game of skill, and if you put a big, powerful or fully equipped ship in the hands of someone who does not know how to fly it, it's going to be a poor show anyway.

Giving crappy or inexperienced players a leg up isn't the issue. Further distorting the in-game experience with the consequences of out-of-game purchases is.

The questions how much do you like playing the game?

Not as much as I used to. And not as much as I could be, were it not for a long running trend that this is an exemplar of.

From what I have read, the only mention of ARX is for early access to the Python MK2

That would be bad enough, but it's incorrect.

"We’re also going to be introducing a new category in the Elite Dangerous gamestore: Pre-built Ships. Pre-Built Ship packages will offer Commanders the opportunity to purchase ships that have been given a significant upgrade from their base models."

Ain’t pay to win if you can grind the same results for free

Shortcutting gameplay, especially bad gameplay, by being able to spend out-of-game money, is overtly pay to win.

Of course, you can't even grind time and the main issue is being able to access a ship months ahead of others.

From what I have read, the only mention of ARX is for early access to the Python MK2

how dare you bring literacy and reason to... this...

When they say gamestore they mean the ARX store in this context. They don't have a sentence that says "Prebuilt ships will be availible to buy for ARX in the gamestore" because that would be redundant because everything in the gamestore is sold for arx. What is the line of reasoning that has people thinking it's something else? Is it just because that sentence isn't in there and you want to believe it's something else?

Depending on how it’s implemented, I think it spells good things for the future
It depends on how it is implemented. Fed and Imp rank grind for the ships locked behind those gameplay loops. And if the ship(s) and kit(s) available for Arx have any engineering done to them, skipping the engineering unlocks and materials gathering gameplay loops. That would be pay to win, in my opinion.

We do not have all the details yet, so I cannot make any decisions. But this could blow up in Fdev's face if they proceed in ways that upset too many of the current playerbase in hopes of attracting newer players.

Top Bottom