Pay2Win made it to Elite

Do you have enough saved up though for all 4 new ships plus cosmetics for them ?
Nope...
...but then, the T8 has zero interest for me as an early purchase, I rarely haul goods, and in the main then only between station & FC, then, later, FC to station.
The other 2 ships would need to be exceptional to be interesting, and, as I am not an exporer or miner, if they were particularly suited to those activities, would be very low desire for me.

Nope...
...but then, the T8 has zero interest for me as an early purchase, I rarely haul goods, and in the main then only between station & FC, then, later, FC to station.
The other 2 ships would need to be exceptional to be interesting, and, as I am not an exporer or miner, if they were particularly suited to those activities, would be very low desire for me.
We don't even know yet if the T8 even is a hauler. I will get all the new ships for sure and find uses for them, but certainly not as pre-access. 3 ships in I'll have to decide which ship to remove from my carrier and leave behind, as that'll be when I'll be at 40 ships stored + 1 in use.

it would be nice if FD could increase the number of ships we could store in 1 place slightly. It isnt an issue for me now but one day, if the lights are still on , my goal is to have one of every ship in the game, specced for an ingame activity and i would like to have them all in my own carrier (or base if we ever get those)

You liked it because you didn’t take it in VR. Sheer nausea and dreams of some kind of flying hover.

I love landing on planets, but driving is just sickening horror.
Out of interest have you driven in VR in a half-decent Earthbound driving sim and if so how did it compare? I see how driving an SRV in VR would be substantially scarier, even compared to going flat through Eau Rouge in a Nissan GTP (which #mepersonally I find quite scary enough even with triple screens rather than VR)

A few days before the announcement of the “great changes” I opened a thread with a proposal for financial support for the ED. There are many options other than subscription and P2W. But the topic was closed very quickly.
Halfway down page 2 of that thread, @Ian Doncaster answered your question directly and gave citations.

Everyone else in the thread then went off on their favourite agenda for four pages, regardless of the hard facts that had already been provided. That's why it was closed. The "agenda" was "can everyone stop repeating the same hard nonsense it is driving everybody nuts."

Perhaps there is a lesson for this thread within that one?

IMHuO, i don't see it as pay to win, i see it as pay not to grind, which can take months. for example i don't have the time to GRind for mats due to work life balance. i there for don't do much of the ground stuff due to all the mats i need to upgrade suits/weapons . ( plus i don't like the implementation of the First PS game that much, but that's just me i guess)

You liked it because you didn’t take it in VR. Sheer nausea and dreams of some kind of flying hover.

I love landing on planets, but driving is just sickening horror.
<raises hand> i only ever play elite in VR in both my ship and SRV (on foot i use the big screen in my vr headset as well, my pc is not powerful enough to use the external on foot camera vr hack.

the only compromise i make is the horizon lock and i find it, testing (if i have not used it for a while and need to rebuild my VR legs) but but generally fine in vr.

Last edited:
A few days before the announcement of the “great changes” I opened a thread with a proposal for financial support for the ED. There are many options other than subscription and P2W. But the topic was closed very quickly.

I think the decision about the strategy has already been made. The loyal audience of addicted fans is so soft and delicious.

Don’t worry, there will be subscriptions, battle passes, and loot boxes. All will be...
If the decision had not already been made then this is all your fault.

#TJ not to blame!

There are many options other than subscription and P2W.
P2W is your assertion not mine, like I said, this is a Krait 2 minus the expansion pack. Anyway, what alternatives are there? I can't think of any, at least none that would make sense. Making ship interiors will not save FD's share prices from their current low, because it's a poor return on investment no matter how much we wish otherwise.

The loyal audience of addicted fans is so soft and delicious.
That's not something I recognize. The impression I get from the forums is that ED players are curmudgeonly activist types, always shrieking about capitalism, at the same time as FD sinks into financial ruin from years of making the funding model optional, which this new ship still is.

Oh and most importantly, as brighter sparks than me have noted; you don't have to pay anything for this ship as earning Arx just involves playing the game.

Last edited:
In Horizons I enjoyed driving the SRV. In Odessey I only do it when absolutely necessary. (kb/m, non-vr. Drive assist off)

How does that differ? Did you mean 3.8 v 4.0 or maybe pre-U14 / post-U14?

In Horizons prior to Odessey release... so all versions I was familiar with prior to Odessey (for several years)... I have used keyboard/mouse, non-VR, drive assist "on". at that time you could:
  • Configure the keyboard/mouse controls to work the same as your ship.
  • The mouse scroll could be used for throttle.
  • Accel/Decel worked as anyone would expect.
  • Driving the SRV was intuitive. Left/right controls, scroll for throttle, and a button for boost.

With Odessey:
  • Drive Assist ON remained the default in options menu. But it was horrible. Turning Drive Assist OFF became necessary for reasonable experience.
  • With Drive Assist On the accel/decel is wacko. There is a significant delayed response. And fine motions are very difficult to do. Also the SRV will occasionally shoot off with uncontrollable accel for no apparent reason. Hand Brake is necessary to stop it. Flicking Drive Assist ON/OFF resets it so the accel is semi-normal again. Very confusing. IMO SRV Drive Assist "ON" is an option that should be improved or removed from game. It should certainly not be the default for new players.
  • I found the Drive Assist "ON" functioned at different levels of wacko depending on my play session. Sometimes it was almost okay, sometimes completely unplayable. Maybe depending on framerate or the complexity of the instance? No sure.
  • With Drive Assist Off the SRV simply doesn't work unless in configuration options menu the throttle is changed from scroll wheel to keyboard keys.
  • With this configuration the throttle keys must be "pulsed" when driving to maintain a constant speed. Because throttle is either "on" (key pressed) or "off" (key not pressed). Fine positioning requires feathering the keyboard keys.
  • While this new control scheme can be learned, it is fundamentally different from flying a ship. I am pretty good at it, but it can be annoying when you are in the turret, shooting at something, navigating rough terrain, and pulsing keys to maintain desired speed simultaneously.

As a result... I rather fly a tiny ship around the planet surface and land whenever I need to. Its just easier.

Sorry, this was all way off topic.

The "with Odyssey" list there sounds pretty much like my Horizons install was after folddown. I had been wondering if the Odyssey version of the Scarab itself was different, but doesn't sound like it.

(And yes, the way keyboard throttle control works now is OK in a narrow range of surface gravities but either vastly underpowered or overpowered the rest of the time. You can improve that slightly with engine pips but goddam it it's a drive-by-wire purpose built explorer, give us a way to adjust the throttle map to the conditions will ya?)

One thing that is vaguely on topic - some people just simply don't use SRV gameplay and others do. And yet the people who don't use SRV and therefore don't have access to a bunch of stuff still do just fine. Almost like the definition of "win" and "lose" is not useful...

Look what I found...
Screenshot_0444.jpg

I've WON!!!

In the explorer groups I'm in the chatter is all just giddy. You got one already, what are the numbers like, and that SCO, really is it better...? A good few are interrupting long journeys and scrambling to get back to the bubble. What was this thread about again? My first impression is that this will be a success for the developer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom