Performance and bugs aside, the real worry for me is the game design itself

I have 1200 hours and have played this game since pretty much release and I have always defended it and was happy playing it, but now I have a deep worry with the direction of the game and the fact there is almost no systemic game design with Odyssey.

It seems that Odyssey is so incredibly separated from the rest of the game. I understand why this has happened (it's an expansion, the base game needs to be able to be played without it, was made years after release etc) but it's still a negative. Once in your ship, you can ignore pretty much any Odyssey mechanic (apart from attacking infantry with a ship) and the UI looks so remarkably different, it's like stepping into a different game. It's been explained to me before that these areas of the game are 'thematically different' but that's not a good thing to happen in the same game, your game should still feel like the same game even when you're engaged in different game loops. When you step into a tank in battlefield it doesn't look/feel like you're now playing world of tanks, it looks like you're driving a tank in battlefield and are just using a feature of battlefield. I've streamed Odyssey for my friends who played base elite and the first things they've said was that it doesn't even look like elite anymore. Overall I do think the Odyssey UI is really nice (apart from the issues I have with the menu's above) so base Elite I think needs to be brought up a bit.

I've spoken about it to a couple of employees and from seeing the communications from FDEV... this was all intended? They say that this is what players have asked for, but I said players want on foot gameplay that integrates with the rest of the game. Not on foot gameplay that feels completely separate and has almost 0 impact on the base game. There are so many dedicated first person shooter games, thousands even, but there aren't many good proper space sim games, so please focus on that! Not adding what feels like an FPS mod to the game!
There has been a lot of effort, but effort put in the completely wrong place. They looked at their spaceship simulator game, they looked at the player base who have been starved of content for their spaceship simulator game, then FDEV made the conscious decision to release a DLC that provided nothing for the existing players of that spaceship simulator game, added nothing to the actual SPACE SHIPS in a SPACE SHIP SIMULATOR GAME. They thought, “let’s try and make it so we get players who don’t actually want to play elite dangerous, they want to play an FPS shooter in space and let’s just ignore our existing player base”. I believe in some of the streams they've said the point is now players can play the game without having to even buy a ship? What? This is Elite Dangerous, not call of duty! If players want first person shooter combat/gameplay but not ships then why would they even come to Elite Dangerous!

Stuff that could really help combine Odyssey with Elite/Horizons would be things like EVA in the future, you're flying around exploring and you're damaged so you fly out and repair your ship. Or EVA to explore guardian ruins in space. Or you land on a planet, gather some materials/metals and repair your ship (this would combine Elite -the ship-, horizons -the planet-, and Odyssey), or you've just gotten out of a fight with a thargoid/flown away with your teammates distracting it and you fly out of your ship to scrape off the acid. Stuff like this would add so much to combining all the gameplay mechanics.

When I first read your thread title I figured I wouldn’t agree with you but after reading your post I think you nailed it.
If we got new tech atmospheric planets that looked good at usable frame rates then the space sim gamers would have gotten something, but we didn’t get that.

I see that Frontier was more interrested in bringing in the COD type, not realizing that group are use to very high functional games at high frame rates. There is no
way Odyssey can complete with a modern shooter.

I have 3500 hours in Elite VR and love this game, hopefully they can fix the planet visuals and improve performance for VR.

The change to the UI’s is a real head scratcher, they are obviously made by someone that doesn’t play the game and are a mess.
Please just give us back the old ones with more Galaxy map and modules storage.

Im gonna be honest i did not read the whole thing you posted, but i believe there are massive MASSIVE design issues with odyssey as it currently stands.

Odyssey right now, is so dethatched from the rest of the ED game, that at current state its nothing more then a bolt on FPS experience, i would not even call this an expansion, its more of a DLC add on.

What i mean by dethatched is that, none of the activates that take place in odyssey effect the rest of ED at large. Its complexly encapsulated in itself and thats the problem. Anything i do on foot, any progress i make on foot, servers to only make more progress on foot. There is nothing i need to gather, find, farm, research ect ect on foot that would then end up changing or making new game play for space. Anything i do with my ship, effects nothing for the on ground experience, and thats the problem.
If i completely ignored the odyssey content, i would not miss out on anything else elite has to offer, it does not further the experience.

Horizons how ever did do this well. I had a real reason to get out into the SRV, because it offered me things i could then use to upgrade my ship, to further my game play experience with in ED. That to me is the biggest issue odyssey has, aside from performance issues.

Stand up in cokpit, walk to the EVA door, fly over to a wrackage, find some cool stuff, shoot some other pirate scavengers. Back to the pilot seat you fly to a local bar (social hub, all instances merged) and talk about it, incl. with emotes, to others. After you done that, you are a bit silly and go to the airlock of the bar, to walk around the small station to your hangar on the outside. Don't forget to activate the magnetic boots!

And now I'm sad because it's again "Elite has so much more potential, but..."

When I first read your thread title I figured I wouldn’t agree with you but after reading your post I think you nailed it.
If we got new tech atmospheric planets that looked good at usable frame rates then the space sim gamers would have gotten something, but we didn’t get that.

I see that Frontier was more interrested in bringing in the COD type, not realizing that group are use to very high functional games at high frame rates. There is no
way Odyssey can complete with a modern shooter.

I have 3500 hours in Elite VR and love this game, hopefully they can fix the planet visuals and improve performance for VR.

The change to the UI’s is a real head scratcher, they are obviously made by someone that doesn’t play the game and are a mess.
Please just give us back the old ones with more Galaxy map and modules storage.
Yeah that's honestly a pretty juicy observation: even the crowd they so clearly aimed EDO at will not want anything to do with it simply because of the awful performance. Some of the biggest shooters in the industry right now are specifically designed to run decently well even on lower end hardware (Warzone and Fortnite for example have Low settings you could run on a potato). They're all about reaction time and accuracy, so they were designed so you could get reliable and often high framerates even if your rig is somewhat old.

EDO on the other hand runs poorly even on a 3090 as many have corroborated. The crowd EDO is targetting will expressly avoid it because of this.

I can't tell you how much I love Borderlands 3, which is an awesome wacky fps looter shooter. It's so easy to get into and the guns rain down from the sky. Gearbox has taken great pains to make gameplay as fun as possible no matter how unadvanced your character may be. There is no grinding. There is always challenging and interesting gameplay.

I look at the fps gameplay in Odyssey, the perma-modding of guns, the onerous engineering grinding and I just cry.

Would be nice if:

Find a crash site.

Drive your new SSV (Surface scavenger vehicle) to the ship, look it over, find the cargo hatch is sticking out the ground.

Get out leaving the SSV lights on to see what you're doing.

Cut the hatch open with your arc cutter, some (actually good rare) materials spill out, along with a couple of canisters of (high value) cargo.

You notice the thrusters of the ship look pretty much in tact.

You head to the back of the crashed ship and begin cutting the thrusters out of their housing using your arc cutter, they come away and I seems they have some minor engineering modifications, nice. You attach them to the back of the SSV and peer through the cockpit.

You notice a blinking light on the data display, and decide to take a look.

You cut open the emergency access hatch on the side of the busted up eagle and manage to clamber inside.

You push some sparking electrical wiring (is the power regulator still functional?) To the side and reach the cockpit.

The near dead pilot pulls a gun and tells you to get off his ship.

You shoot him in the head before he can even activate his personal shield.

You e-breach into his ships data core and download some datamined wake exceptions, a few gigaquads of audio logs, and some assault plans.

The rest of the ship seems pretty much unsalvageable, but you cut some other parts away anyways and gain some heat dispersal plating (or other medium level ship mats)

As you leave and head to the SSV, a federal dropship comes out of super cruise...

You race back to your ship with the modified thrusters you attached to the SSV, but the troops have already dropped down, one fires a rocket at your SSV and you lose your shields. You dive out and have a pitched battle back to your ship on foot.

You board, launch, and deploy weapons. The enemy troops are near instantly annihilated by your dumbfire missiles, except the one with the rocket launcher, who took cover too near to your SSV, which you'd rather not blow up.

The dropship has deployed weapons and is now firing at you.

You take it's shields down and hammer it's hull, then it escapes into super cruise, your shields are low though and the troop on the ground is launching missiles.

You make a swift landing and jump out in your dominator suit, take him down with your scoped plasma rifle and grab your SSV, taking your prizes back to your ship.

You get interdicted a few times on the way back to your carrier due to the bounty you just earned, but make it home, store your new module, cargo, and jump the carrier to an engineer, those materials were just what you needed for the next upgrade, and you're a step closer to upgrading that dominator suit too.

How about that, instead of.

Fly to base.

Do on foot stuff.

Upgrade on foot stuff.

Go back to space game.

I have 1200 hours and have played this game since pretty much release and I have always defended it and was happy playing it, but now I have a deep worry with the direction of the game and the fact there is almost no systemic game design with Odyssey.

It seems that Odyssey is so incredibly separated from the rest of the game. I understand why this has happened (it's an expansion, the base game needs to be able to be played without it, was made years after release etc) but it's still a negative. Once in your ship, you can ignore pretty much any Odyssey mechanic (apart from attacking infantry with a ship) and the UI looks so remarkably different, it's like stepping into a different game. It's been explained to me before that these areas of the game are 'thematically different' but that's not a good thing to happen in the same game, your game should still feel like the same game even when you're engaged in different game loops. When you step into a tank in battlefield it doesn't look/feel like you're now playing world of tanks, it looks like you're driving a tank in battlefield and are just using a feature of battlefield. I've streamed Odyssey for my friends who played base elite and the first things they've said was that it doesn't even look like elite anymore. Overall I do think the Odyssey UI is really nice (apart from the issues I have with the menu's above) so base Elite I think needs to be brought up a bit.

I've spoken about it to a couple of employees and from seeing the communications from FDEV... this was all intended? They say that this is what players have asked for, but I said players want on foot gameplay that integrates with the rest of the game. Not on foot gameplay that feels completely separate and has almost 0 impact on the base game. There are so many dedicated first person shooter games, thousands even, but there aren't many good proper space sim games, so please focus on that! Not adding what feels like an FPS mod to the game!
There has been a lot of effort, but effort put in the completely wrong place. They looked at their spaceship simulator game, they looked at the player base who have been starved of content for their spaceship simulator game, then FDEV made the conscious decision to release a DLC that provided nothing for the existing players of that spaceship simulator game, added nothing to the actual SPACE SHIPS in a SPACE SHIP SIMULATOR GAME. They thought, “let’s try and make it so we get players who don’t actually want to play elite dangerous, they want to play an FPS shooter in space and let’s just ignore our existing player base”. I believe in some of the streams they've said the point is now players can play the game without having to even buy a ship? What? This is Elite Dangerous, not call of duty! If players want first person shooter combat/gameplay but not ships then why would they even come to Elite Dangerous!

Stuff that could really help combine Odyssey with Elite/Horizons would be things like EVA in the future, you're flying around exploring and you're damaged so you fly out and repair your ship. Or EVA to explore guardian ruins in space. Or you land on a planet, gather some materials/metals and repair your ship (this would combine Elite -the ship-, horizons -the planet-, and Odyssey), or you've just gotten out of a fight with a thargoid/flown away with your teammates distracting it and you fly out of your ship to scrape off the acid. Stuff like this would add so much to combining all the gameplay mechanics.

1040 hours here.

Not to mention, the whole bookending of the foot conflict zones and foot missions with tedious space travel kills the rhythm of any FPS experience, as any FPS player with even a modicum of experience will tell you. It's a fantasy space game, yet FDev's design ethos is built around stretching out the players time as long as possible as a substitute for fun gameplay. A smarter design would use teleports so players who wanted can just instantly zip around and hit the action immediately. If someone wants to take a lift and the long road by their own ship or Apex ,they can. But FDev can't get their head around the concept of fast travel being as viable a game mechanic in the magical space technology world of ED because...because...someone doesn't want it?

Ditto for walking to the station concourse, and back to ship. Add a teleport direct to concourse/ship for those players that want it. Plus foot missions accessible from the cockpit menu for those who want to save time. Hell, make the whole station booth system accessible from the menu, as an option.

So much player time could be saved implementing an intelligent teleport system into ED/EDO. Make it optional. You still need a ship to do anything mission related anyway.
Fast travel and teleporting is no less ridiculous than magical Frameshift Drives, supersnooze (tm), or any other of the borderline suspension of disbeliefs that are littered throughout the tech canon of ED/EDO.

But no, ED/EDO must maxmise use of the players time in the most tedious fashion.
Perhaps that's what they really mean by it being a "thinking persons FPS", in that you have plenty of time before and after to think about how tedious, unfun, and bug ridden it all is.

Last edited:
I literally didn't even notice that they look at all different. Or play different. I'm not sure I could even point to an element that is different.

Heard something about some differences in Loot paradigms. Maybe that.

Last edited:
1040 hours here.

Not to mention, the whole bookending of the foot conflict zones and foot missions with tedious space travel kills the rhythm of any FPS experience, as any FPS player with even a modicum of experience will tell you. It's a fantasy space game, yet FDev's design ethos is built around stretching out the players time as long as possible as a substitute for fun gameplay. A smarter design would use teleports so players who wanted can just instantly zip around and hit the action immediately. If someone wants to take a lift and the long road by their own ship or Apex ,they can. But FDev can't get their head around the concept of fast travel being as viable a game mechanic in the magical space technology world of ED because...because...someone doesn't want it?

Ditto for walking to the station concourse, and back to ship. Add a teleport direct to concourse/ship for those players that want it. Plus foot missions accessible from the cockpit menu for those who want to save time. Hell, make the whole station booth system accessible from the menu, as an option.

So much player time could be saved implementing an intelligent teleport system into ED/EDO. Make it optional. You still need a ship to do anything mission related anyway.
Fast travel and teleporting is no less ridiculous than magical Frameshift Drives, supersnooze (tm), or any other of the borderline suspension of disbeliefs that are littered throughout the tech canon of ED/EDO.

But no, ED/EDO must maxmise use of the players time in the most tedious fashion.
Perhaps that's what they really mean by it being a "thinking persons FPS", in that you have plenty of time before and after to think about how tedious, unfun, and bug ridden it all is.
And now just automate mission seeking, acceptance, and completion. Just a quick chat notification will suffice. Check it or not as desired.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18
And now just automate mission seeking, acceptance, and completion. Just a quick chat notification will suffice. Check it or not as desired.

You're missing the point, completely. I guess you're one of those players who likes the tedium, therefore everyone must play like you.
Please note, I suggested an addition to existing systems. It does not remove anything. If you like tedium, have at it.

You have absolutely nailed it.

Unfortunately, there is no real hope for this game with this development team, imo.

There has been a lot of effort, but effort put in the completely wrong place.

Best analysis of the situation I've read so far!

You absolutely nailed it: When people were desparate for more content in their space simulator game (ships and planets), they made the conscious decision to put all their effort into a disconnected FPS game, even praising a "no ship needed" playstyle.

The bad execution (graphics, performance, planet tech, ...) even comes on top of that. But even if the implementation will be fixed sometime, the separation of Odyssey from the rest of Elite is much harder to overcome, as it is a structural problem.

I wonder if FDev has even realized they are having a problem here - at least their sorry excuse for a roadmap doesn't even come close to mentioning it.

Would be nice if:

Find a crash site.

Drive your new SSV (Surface scavenger vehicle) to the ship, look it over, find the cargo hatch is sticking out the ground.

Get out leaving the SSV lights on to see what you're doing.

Cut the hatch open with your arc cutter, some (actually good rare) materials spill out, along with a couple of canisters of (high value) cargo.

You notice the thrusters of the ship look pretty much in tact.

You head to the back of the crashed ship and begin cutting the thrusters out of their housing using your arc cutter, they come away and I seems they have some minor engineering modifications, nice. You attach them to the back of the SSV and peer through the cockpit.

You notice a blinking light on the data display, and decide to take a look.

You cut open the emergency access hatch on the side of the busted up eagle and manage to clamber inside.

You push some sparking electrical wiring (is the power regulator still functional?) To the side and reach the cockpit.

The near dead pilot pulls a gun and tells you to get off his ship.

You shoot him in the head before he can even activate his personal shield.

You e-breach into his ships data core and download some datamined wake exceptions, a few gigaquads of audio logs, and some assault plans.

The rest of the ship seems pretty much unsalvageable, but you cut some other parts away anyways and gain some heat dispersal plating (or other medium level ship mats)

As you leave and head to the SSV, a federal dropship comes out of super cruise...

You race back to your ship with the modified thrusters you attached to the SSV, but the troops have already dropped down, one fires a rocket at your SSV and you lose your shields. You dive out and have a pitched battle back to your ship on foot.

You board, launch, and deploy weapons. The enemy troops are near instantly annihilated by your dumbfire missiles, except the one with the rocket launcher, who took cover too near to your SSV, which you'd rather not blow up.

The dropship has deployed weapons and is now firing at you.

You take it's shields down and hammer it's hull, then it escapes into super cruise, your shields are low though and the troop on the ground is launching missiles.

You make a swift landing and jump out in your dominator suit, take him down with your scoped plasma rifle and grab your SSV, taking your prizes back to your ship.

You get interdicted a few times on the way back to your carrier due to the bounty you just earned, but make it home, store your new module, cargo, and jump the carrier to an engineer, those materials were just what you needed for the next upgrade, and you're a step closer to upgrading that dominator suit too.

How about that, instead of.

Fly to base.

Do on foot stuff.

Upgrade on foot stuff.

Go back to space game.

I took a mission that was a shallow version of that.

Took mission. Sent me to planet. Eagle was landed, crates lying around.
Went to first crate and got the item.. Hmm.. jumped back in SRV and noticed two targets.
Got back out, went and had a look. It was a hatch on the underside of the Eagle, used cutter to cut open hatch and inside were some power regulators and other stuff. Looted em.
Suddenly, my ship under attack by NPCs, went back and 4 NPCs had dropped in.

Took care of them and left.
The cuttable hatches were a very unexpected but pleasant surprise. It's a real shame I couldn't go onboard and loot the interior of the ship.

You're missing the point, completely. I guess you're one of those players who likes the tedium, therefore everyone must play like you.
Please note, I suggested an addition to existing systems. It does not remove anything. If you like tedium, have at it.
Ooh, textbook projection, cool.

No, by this time I've had this argument in so many games and for so many years I could quote your argument to you verbatim. I've even seen pages and pages of your solution. Seriously.

The only thing you've done differently is somehow miss that you are the overwhelming majority, not us. You don't see us on the I dunno Overwatch forums explaining how it'd be better to slow everything down and add aim assist etc.

I do appreciate you solution not actively robbing us of our gameplay, truly, but human psychology just doesn't fit that situation. Even among our type, someone who burns a mountain of cash for the thrill of reearning it is rare.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: F18

I couldn't agree more. The ground gameplay should make going into space better and vice versa. The only adjectives I can use for the decision to make the two entirely separate and independent from each other are ones that will have this comment deleted or blocked. This is the work of laziness, ignorance, or plain stupidity.

Ooh, textbook projection, cool.

No, by this time I've had this argument in so many games and for so many years I could quote your argument to you verbatim. I've even seen pages and pages of your solution. Seriously.

The only thing you've done differently is somehow miss that you are the overwhelming majority, not us. You don't see us on the I dunno Overwatch forums explaining how it'd be better to slow everything down and add aim assist etc.

I do appreciate you solution not actively robbing us of our gameplay, truly, but human psychology just doesn't fit that situation. Even among our type, someone who burns a mountain of cash for the thrill of reearning it is rare.

I do appreciate you solution not actively robbing us of our gameplay

lol. Ivory tower much?

It's plain there are many experienced ED players with hundreds and thousands of hours (as I do) who persist with ED in spite of the tedious grind mechanics, not because they enjoy them. The meta game in ED is in optimising the grind mechanics so you can get back to enjoying the fun bits (minimal as they are), which itself is a sad indictment of the core game design - not to mention the need to constantly exit the game world to use 3rd party tools to even play the game. Great immersive "space simulation" design there too.

We play ED for the nice bits, not the ridiculous grind mechanics which people like you seem to love, and love to defend even more whenever someone suggests a mechanic that respects players time that will have minimal or zero impact on your own gameplay style.

So what did they do with Odyssey? Doubled down on ridiculous time-wasting grind mechanics and tedium in lieu of fun...again. Whatever. Enjoy your tedious "gameplay".

Last edited:
I see that Frontier was more interrested in bringing in the COD type, not realizing that group are use to very high functional games at high frame rates.
Now I don't know what FD's intent with the legs were, but if that were it (and it certainly looks that way), I can't help but chuckle.

I have two teenage sons who absolutely love them some shooter action, they play those all the time and spend hours telling me about their adventures in great detail, and if there is one thing I know, then it's that they have very high expectations, performance-wise, breaking out in hives if their frames start to look like they're even thinking about dropping down below 100.

So if that's the audience they're hoping to draw in, I have some very sad news for them, at least until they manage to fiddle with the levers, gears and dials so it doesn't look like the original from 1984, frame-wise.

Top Bottom