Performance halved after the release of Odyssey, and not improved after the patches

For me, ED FPS is halved after the release of Odyssey, while i don't have that DLC. (and won't have it if the game performance stays like this...)
Before the big release i had FPS limited to 60 in space, my lowest FPS at the most crowded places arount the stations, rings was around 30fps, but usually between 40-50 fps.

After the release of odyssey i got arount 20 fps at the stations, the absolute maximum in the deep space is 40, while i see no change in the graphics, nor changed any graphics settings.

Frontier have broken the 3D engine to make odyssey possible, now i can't get back the old performance without upgrading my PC?
Or which graphics setting became more cpu hungry? Any tips?

(BTW its very sad how game developers raising the requirements for a game, i remember when i could play GTA V in 2016 on high settings, with 6gbytes of ram, now it's barely playable with 8gb ram, as it's always swapping, loading textures too late so im driving on void for seconds, etc...)

The base game is 7 years old and you don't expect the requirements to go up for improved visuals? I dunno how old your pc is but typically even if you go top end after 7-10 years your hardware is getting outdated...
I'm guessing your pc is a potato because even in odyssey I'm maxing space at 144 fps (my monitors refresh rate cap). I enjoy the new visuals, I logged onto Horizons a couple days ago and I don't think I can go back, doesn't look nearly as good as Odyssey IMO. 8 Gb RAM in 2021 is the bare minimum for gaming on windows nowadays.

No offence I think you just need a better PC

For me, ED FPS is halved after the release of Odyssey, while i don't have that DLC. (and won't have it if the game performance stays like this...)
Before the big release i had FPS limited to 60 in space, my lowest FPS at the most crowded places arount the stations, rings was around 30fps, but usually between 40-50 fps.

After the release of odyssey i got arount 20 fps at the stations, the absolute maximum in the deep space is 40, while i see no change in the graphics, nor changed any graphics settings.

Frontier have broken the 3D engine to make odyssey possible, now i can't get back the old performance without upgrading my PC?

(BTW its very sad how game developers raising the requirements for a game, i remember when i could play GTA V in 2016 on high settings, with 6gbytes of ram, now it's barely playable with 8gb ram, as it's always swapping, loading textures too late so im driving on void for seconds, etc...)
If you don't have Odyssey and you still play Horizons, then engine didn't change yet. I'm not sure why your EDH FPS dropped after Odyssey launch, but I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about it, so what you experience might be unrelated to Odyssey launch.

Deleted member 110222

D
yeah sorry OP, this is just a fact of life.

Visuals were improved, so expect a higher hardware floor.

Pretty much the most obvious thing you should know will come if you're into PC gaming this is.

What, you expect them to improve the looks of the planets with zero performance impact?
Probably, reading isn't your best skill :)
The base game is 7 years old and you don't expect the requirements to go up for improved visuals?...
Same as above
If you don't have Odyssey and you still play Horizons, then engine didn't change yet. I'm not sure why your EDH FPS dropped after Odyssey launch, but I don't think I've seen anyone else complain about it, so what you experience might be unrelated to Odyssey launch.
Frontier probably won't maintain two different engines, with different codebases for the same game, so yes the engine changed to. Nothing else is change except the odyssey update.
yeah sorry OP, this is just a fact of life.

Visuals were improved, so expect a higher hardware floor.
Same as for the very first.

Wow, what a charming forum user. Merry Christmas to everyone who has tried helping o7

ok-cranky-face.gif

Frontier probably won't maintain two different engines, with different codebases for the same game, so yes the engine changed to. Nothing else is change except the odyssey update.
It will change at some point, but they've postponed moving Horizons to new engine until they solve performance issues in Odyssey. That's why there's so much crying about consoles being left behind in the dark.
Right now engine for Horizons did not change, except for some minor fixes and QoL improvements.

EDH is not changed, and have the same performances than before (unless they introduced some issue in recent patches i didn't check).

However yes, they won't maintain two versions for too long, so once the alpha gets good enough and we get to beta stage, with the release for consoles, they'll drop the old client for the new one (which is getting better with time, at least for horizons content).

You can read it, in the same post what you obviously didn't read :)

Why it is a problem if highlight that, reading the comment before replying to it, is useful?

Well my dear charming forumite - there tends to be a consensus on how to respond when having any kind of conversation, not just on a forum.

As a general rule of thumb, telling people to read your comment before replying, could be seen as a little rude, perhaps even arrogant to the point of being a bit of a plank.

Now, adding in the relevance of the day, to the fact that people are actually trying to explain things to you, tends to make the above a little more pertinent than normal.

If the kind respondents had said "you are wrong and stupid" then your replies might be understandable, and I might even venture to do the same.

But, people are trying to helpfully explain to you why things are the way that you have found. So replying like you have just makes you look rude, impolite, and potentially like a bit of a ****.

I hope this helps to explain why people are a little miffed with your replies?

Well my dear charming forumite - there tends to be a consensus on how to respond when having any kind of conversation, not just on a forum.

As a general rule of thumb, telling people to read your comment before replying, could be seen as a little rude, perhaps even arrogant to the point of being a bit of a plank.

Now, adding in the relevance of the day, to the fact that people are actually trying to explain things to you, tends to make the above a little more pertinent than normal.

If the kind respondents had said "you are wrong and stupid" then your replies might be understandable, and I might even venture to do the same.

But, people are trying to helpfully explain to you why things are the way that you have found. So replying like you have just makes you look rude, impolite, and potentially like a bit of a ****.

I hope this helps to explain why people are a little miffed with your replies?
I have meds that could help, but I don't think they will get there in time.

Here in St. Louis, there are a number of used hardware vendors that could help. We also have a Micro Center. You might find similar in your local area. If you're willing to put in some effort, you might find a stop gap machine that performs better than your current one.

Performance in Horizons didnt change. It's the same client
Frontier is actually maintaining 2 engines - as evidenced by the fact that we do have one Horizons client and one Odyssey client

So, maybe something changed in your setup.
Even the quantity of dust in your coolers... maybe your cpu/gpu is throttling?

Top Bottom