Planets, Moons and Odyssey

I agree for Earth (too much trouble, virtually impossible, and not even worth it), but i'm pretty positive about Moon and Mars when they'll add procedural cities generation in something like forth and/or fifth expansion.

SPECULATION

PS: the only scenario where i don't see the moon and mars coming is if the relative expansions are released AFTER we actually colonize those bodies... Oh, well, maybe we won't see them afterall 🤣

I agree for Earth (too much trouble, virtually impossible, and not even worth it), but i'm pretty positive about Moon and Mars when they'll add procedural cities generation in something like forth and/or fifth expansion.

SPECULATION

I don't think Mars will be done, it's no longer a red dust bowl. I do hope they allow us to go to the moon though.

Sol, Achenar and Alioth (the superpower capitals) are the only systems where players were NOT allowed to Map, when Mapping became a thing. These systems remain fully Untagged. I assume this will carry over to Odyssey - no-one will be able to claim a First Footfall tag anywhere in Sol system.

I read: "We all know that when it comes to the First Football..." And I'm like, what the hell? And then I remember we don't actually have one decent, modern looking football sim, so now I wonder, could it?... possibly?... happen?... on the moon, at least?

Ouch, imagine if your a console group and are wanting to get first footfall on the planets in your factions home system.
Yet some rando PC dude sweeps in while your waiting for the release of odyssey on console to drop.

Maybe Fdev will hold off with the first footfalls till all Cmdrs can have the game.

Ouch, imagine if your a console group and are wanting to get first footfall on the planets in your factions home system.
Yet some rando PC dude sweeps in while your waiting for the release of odyssey on console to drop.

Maybe Fdev will hold off with the first footfalls till all Cmdrs can have the game.

I hadn't thought of that, either. What's the expected delay for consoles, six months? Six months after Mapping was introduced, all the interesting systems within the Bubble had been Mapped. The consoles will be left with whatever dregs they can find, and with whatever there is to be found out in uninhabited space. The only thing stopping this is the smaller playerbase with access, and the fact that landing on a planet and putting your moonboots on is going to take longer than simply arriving in orbit and firing probes, which might discourage the completionists from attempting to set foot on every single footable planet in a large, complex system with many such planets.

I can't see them holding off on this feature, as it's something they're going to want tested in Alpha, and it's something they've been promoting as a major thing to do in Odyssey.

I don't think Mars will be done, it's no longer a red dust bowl. I do hope they allow us to go to the moon though.
Of course for Mars we'll have to wait the introduction of civilized ELWs in something like forth or fifth expansion. Maybe for the Moon they'll introduce the procedural cities generation tech sooner, but i doubt it.

"First fade in"
I've said it before on the forums and I stick to this.

Ship interiors would be cool to see once.

These ships are HUGE and would require too much time to walk from the cockpit, down a 50+ meter hallway, maybe down an elevator, through another corridor....oh damnit that's the SRV bay, it's another 80 meters in the opposite direction to get to the airlock. Ah well, 20 minutes wasted walking around the inside of the ship, guess ill go cook dinner now.

You could have all your areas right there behind the cockpit but then that would also defeat the purpose of rendering ship interiors to begin with.

I am not retired, which seems to be a large population in Elite, I work 2 jobs, one for 8 hours and one "for however long it takes" (my own business) - I suspect a lot of other players with limited time also wouldn't like to walk around endlessly in corridors when they land.

These ships are HUGE and would require too much time to walk from the cockpit, down a 50+ meter hallway, maybe down an elevator, through another corridor....oh damnit that's the SRV bay, it's another 80 meters in the opposite direction to get to the airlock. Ah well, 20 minutes wasted walking around the inside of the ship, guess ill go cook dinner now.

You could have all your areas right there behind the cockpit but then that would also defeat the purpose of rendering ship interiors to begin with.

I am not retired, which seems to be a large population in Elite, I work 2 jobs, one for 8 hours and one "for however long it takes" (my own business) - I suspect a lot of other players with limited time also wouldn't like to walk around endlessly in corridors when they land.
Options have been good since time immemorial. Why not all of it instead of this or that?

If you have to go from the front of the ship to the back to get out of it I'd call that a major design flaw! Mid points, escape hatches, elevators, lifts, conveyors even warp gates since fsd isn't real either.

The Point is it can be done it just requires logic a forethought.

Options have been good since time immemorial. Why not all of it instead of this or that?

If you have to go from the front of the ship to the back to get out of it I'd call that a major design flaw! Mid points, escape hatches, elevators, lifts, conveyors even warp gates since fsd isn't real either.

We're talking about FDev here

The front landing gear has stairs, i guess we'll get on the ground from them

...Ah well, 20 minutes wasted walking around the inside of the ship, guess ill go cook dinner now.
Have you been having a little pre-dinner drinky treat? 😁 If it’s taking you that long to walk those sort of distances...I know you’re exaggerating for effect, but still!

The big freighter craft in NMS have you land in the docking bay, get out of your ship, go through the hangar, up a few sets of stairs and down some corridors and you’re still on the bridge in less than a minute. Infinite Warfare had you leaving the bridge, down an elevator to the armoury to get kitted out, down another lift into the hangar and then walk across that to your fighter or dropship. Minutes elapsed: still in single figures.

And if you want a real life example - I used to be able to get from one end of a frigate to the other, going through many doors & hatches (each with 12 clips securing them), well within 8 minutes if I wasn’t rushing. I doubt FDev would design ship interiors to be that realistic!

I hope they do not do first tag in the bubble at all as already stated the bubble should have been scanned centuries ago there are some 400 billion star system with billions of planets to first tag.

No doubt there is a pc server galaxy and console server galaxy server and at the moment never the two shall meet so no problem with tagging the same planet i think.

No doubt there is a pc server galaxy and console server galaxy server and at the moment never the two shall meet so no problem with tagging the same planet i think.

That's not how it works, everyone, Xbox, PC PS4/5 etc see the same tags, there's only 1 galaxy and everything is the same for everyone. The reason they can delay the console release of Odyssey is because it's a DLC, you don't have to have it to play, like non-horizons players could still play after horizons was released, just not access the horizons content. Console players will find first footfall tags already on planets they land on once they get the update.

They could easily implement a “jump to cockpit” selection at the entrance of the ship. Like they have with refuelling, ammo , etc and ship services

Have you been having a little pre-dinner drinky treat? 😁 If it’s taking you that long to walk those sort of distances...I know you’re exaggerating for effect, but still!

The big freighter craft in NMS have you land in the docking bay, get out of your ship, go through the hangar, up a few sets of stairs and down some corridors and you’re still on the bridge in less than a minute. Infinite Warfare had you leaving the bridge, down an elevator to the armoury to get kitted out, down another lift into the hangar and then walk across that to your fighter or dropship. Minutes elapsed: still in single figures.

And if you want a real life example - I used to be able to get from one end of a frigate to the other, going through many doors & hatches (each with 12 clips securing them), well within 8 minutes if I wasn’t rushing. I doubt FDev would design ship interiors to be that realistic!
I agree but everyone who wants to make it a point of contention just ignore like those games didn't just do it!

I really don't see why something like infinite warfare and the assets therein couldn't be remixed procedurally and re constructed as you draw near? They actually had a decent and robust delivery on that one. Its funny though cause they did what space legs should've been on odysseys release!
The only thing elite does is scale distance with a killer flight model! I say combine it all with high customization.

Top Bottom