PMFs: data, charts, and the coming galactic player wars...

It helps for this chart to keep the first chart of the previous post in mind. This scatter plot shows faction by assets and systems controlled. To show how many factions are "at the same point" (that is, have the same number of systems and assets controlled), the transparent blue circles are used, with the size indicating the volume. This shows that the most common situation for a PMF is to not control any system, nor own any dockable asset.

Not also that a number of large factions are procedural but adopted by player groups, as either official or unofficial PMFs. A faction is included in this analysis when it is marked as a PMF on eddb.io.

If a particular position has only one faction, its allegiance color is shown. Black dots have more than one faction at that spot. Each bubble's size is based on the number of systems controlled.

Top graphage :)

Thanks for sharing!

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Falsifying information? What a jolly fellow indeed.

And in context with the discussion previously on new pmfs getting inserted in the systems occupied by existing one, a bit mendacious. I've twice had to reinstate our own status as a player group and we have enjoyed overnight new pmf appearing!

I am pretty sure that whatever is marked in EDDB.IO/ROSS as a PMF bears no relation to their actual status as such with FDev. I'd imagine that EDMC picks up the PMF from the game, but anyone who marks their own as PMF just marks that in the EDDB.io database and does not "tell" FD that suddenly this faction is now a PMF, and therefore gets its protections.

FDev allowed us one PMF. But we support multiple factions. In the non-official faction, we had four PMFs inserted into its systems in the last batch, including its home system. This faction is marked as a PMF in EDDB.io. Didn't matter.

The marker I think is primarily to indicate to others that the faction is supported. Though frankly, it seems wise to assume that any faction owning three systems or so should be assumed to be player supported.

Last edited:
Two big factions are now in the data set: Nagii Union and Future of Udegoci.

rixBkq4.png

Amazing work. This should give us an idea about how many players are involved in bgs. I know inara wings are often full of ghosts but, standing at "larger" pmfs, is it possibile to chart how many players are (or better are been) involved il bgs activities?

Very nice chart addition for Bases. Almost makes me want to register the useless Bases for my faction, as it is its just landable ports right now. lol

Last edited:

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Amazing work. This should give us an idea about how many players are involved in bgs. I know inara wings are often full of ghosts but, standing at "larger" pmfs, is it possibile to chart how many players are (or better are been) involved il bgs activities?

We have around 8 players at any on time - more or less constant (though not the same players) for 3 years. I like to think we punch above our weight (450 expansions, 245 system flips)

We have two player factions in the top 20 and another 4 factions not listed as player factions that would qualify in the above graph if they were

Last edited:
In the scatter plot below, you see the galactic population giants among the PMFs: only factions over 10 billion population controlled are included (calculated as: you control the system, you get the whole bunch).

The rough color scheme matches the familiar allegiance, or none. The size of the bubble indicates the size of the faction population. While the assets and systems controlled still determine the position of each faction, the chart looks very different than the previous scatter plot.

Ce1CYQU.png

https://i.imgur.com/Ce1CYQU.png

Last edited:
Glad you're all enjoying these. :)

This one is an oldie, and is originally based on data shown by Dav on a livestream (in oh horror, Excel pie charts.... ) and since then periodically maintained. However, by making the chart now data-driven, I now will only have to update a data file every now and then.

q4W7t38.png

Everybody hates the Feds, huh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom