PMFs: data, charts, and the coming galactic player wars...

Or, looking at the overall stats:

Total number of inhabited star systems in the game: 20515
Total number of systems that are currently owned by PMFs: 2751
Total number of PMFs: 935
Average number of owned systems per PMF: 2.94.

So, 13.4% of the inhabited galaxy is currently player-owned. That may not sound like much, especially when you invert the statistic and say that 86.6% of the galaxy is "open for claiming".

But look at it this way: pick an inhabited star system at random: there's a greater than 1 in 10 chance that the system you picked is currently player-owned. There'd be a much higher probability that the system is within claiming range of an active PMF and therefore likely to be claimed in the next few months or years. Yes, the "interesting" territory (like the Federation-Empire border zone) is crowded, whereas the Frontier regions are pretty quiet and empty. But space can fill up fast, when growth in the number of factions is exponential, while the growth in the actual number of new colonies is pretty much linear, and much smaller.

Right now, the average PMF owns 3 star systems. But what if the PMFs become both more numerous and more active? PMFs are already far more active than a typical non-PMF faction. There are 75725 factions in the game, total. So 1.2% of the factions are PMFs that control 13.4% of the territory.

Suppose at some point in a couple of years time, there are 1000 PMFs in the game, each powerful and active enough to claim 10 star systems on average. That would be 10,000 systems under PMF control - half the inhabited galaxy. That would start to get real crowded, real quick.

Increasing PMF presence also pushes potential new PMF sites out into the fringes, and that's bad for general BGS players like me, who try to stay away from PMF space.

Right now, I am working on expanding superpower influence in the space 15 LYs around my "home system", using entirely procedurally-generated factions. It's great, but it has a major drawback: a new PMF can be inserted into "my" region with little or no warning, no protections and no appeal; I'm just one guy, casually working this little sphere of space virtually by myself (all of the systems I'm working see less than a dozen ships in the traffic reports); I couldn't fight against an organized, disciplined multiple-player group if one were to get parachuted in.

Then add to that the number of NPC Minor Factions that players actually role play for/or just actively support and the potential of a neighbour system being PMF or NPC MF (player supported) is even greater.

We would so love this - that and very very slow population dynamics changes
Rolling conflicts in systems should have mass exodus of population, downturn in economies leaving systems deserted. No one (save a few) want to live in a constant state of fear from conflict.
(Time to wake up again..... we've been asking for this for 3 years now lo)

Perhaps, this was previously discussed. I didn't read all the thread.
My question is: Is it possiple to make PMF retreat from the home system (means, from the system they were spawned)?
I have a PMF faction in my area, that suddenly appeared as 7th faction in the system. They were active for a month and then dead with no sign of any activity. Their only result is - filling the last slot in the system. I'd like to expand there. If I lower their INF - will they retreat?

Perhaps, this was previously discussed. I didn't read all the thread.
My question is: Is it possiple to make PMF retreat from the home system (means, from the system they were spawned)?
No - like any other faction, a PMF can never be removed from its home system.

I quess Frontiers should make an exception for PMF in this case. Nobody needs a dead PMF that just fill the last slot. At least we need a possibility to remove that faction from their home system, if this system is the only system they are present. I suppose there are plenty of such PMF's in the galaxy today.

There are lots of dead PMFs scattered around, but some are just resting and it's difficult to tell the difference between the two (but you can treat all MFs - irrespective of origin - in just the same way).

Are there no other MFs that have expanded into the system that can be forced out?

If the faction expanded into the system, it can be retreated from it, whether official PMF or not. On that account all factions behave the same way. And like all other factions, it cannot be retreated from its home system. We're all playing the game, and conflict is increasingly part of that, so if this indeed involves an AEDC faction, you're more than welcome to try ;)

Meanwhile, it's end of the month, so it's galactic chart candy time!

Source: https://imgur.com/gallery/1ZAivSz

Enjoy!

If the faction expanded into the system, it can be retreated from it, whether official PMF or not. On that account all factions behave the same way. And like all other factions, it cannot be retreated from its home system. We're all playing the game, and conflict is increasingly part of that, so if this indeed involves an AEDC faction, you're more than welcome to try ;)

Meanwhile, it's end of the month, so it's galactic chart candy time!

Source: https://imgur.com/gallery/1ZAivSz

Enjoy!
Another great month!

Again thank you for providing us with the big picture of how the Human inhabited space progresses and an overview of the contribution of player factions.

Top Bottom